How are you feeling post 1.0.4?

#1 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I had barely touched the game in a few weeks before 1.0.4, but since I started playing I am having a lot more fun. I don't have the best gear, but I was able to get up to Diablo after being stuck in act 3 for a bit. Only attempted him once so far, but the fact that I got there is cool. Some of the new legendaries making farming a fun thing again. Seeing orange is a good thing now.

#2 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

It's been released already?

#3 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@Cataphract1014 said:

I had barely touched the game in a few weeks before 1.0.4, but since I started playing I am having a lot more fun. I don't have the best gear, but I was able to get up to Diablo after being stuck in act 3 for a bit. Only attempted him once so far, but the fact that I got there is cool. Some of the new legendaries making farming a fun thing again. Seeing orange is a good thing now.

I played for a couple hours yesterday, and actually wound up with a couple upgrades, one of which was a legendary! This is the second legendary I've seen drop between 4 Inferno characters, so I guess that says good things for the state of loot now.

I'm actually interested in playing again, but with GW2 right around the corner, the timing is a little poor. I'll be looking forward to whatever subsequent patches bring when I do get back to it.

#4 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

I'll definitely check it out once I (finally) get my new computer. The one I'm using now is struggling to use Chrome, so it's out of the question right now.

#5 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

@valrog said:

Yep. Came out on tuesday.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I played a bit today and its alright, but I'm not seeing the appeal to do this all again.
Now instead of grinding for money/gear I'm grinding paragon levels.

I dunno, for some reason the constant grinding does not hold up for me at level 60.
But I'll be just as happy to start a new WoW character right now....that's kind of silly.

#7 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Cataphract1014 said:

@valrog said:

Yep. Came out on tuesday.

Ah, thanks. I guess it's been some time since I last played it. I'm still stuck in Hell somewhere.

#8 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

Didn't realize it was out already. Was looking for something to play while listening to a podcast, guess my choice has been made.

#9 Posted by Irvandus (2823 posts) -

I still hate the Diablo 3 community. Paragon is a cool system but I'm kind of just burnt out, probably just wait for an expansion to get back into it fully.

#10 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4884 posts) -

It's not enough to bring me back. Sometimes I get on to repost auctions and other stuff, but that is it.

#11 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I played a bit today and its alright, but I'm not seeing the appeal to do this all again. Now instead of grinding for money/gear I'm grinding paragon levels. I dunno, for some reason the constant grinding does not hold up for me at level 60. But I'll be just as happy to start a new WoW character right now....that's kind of silly.

Sounds like you are looking for something that Diablo isn't trying to be.

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Cataphract1014: Not really, I loved the game but after going through it 4 times with 4 classes I feel little need to play more now, even with the new system. Somehow this game didn't addict me as much as Blizzard seemed to hope. (But that can be argued against because I have 4 60's all in Act 3 inferno! xD)
#13 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

i feel good about the update.

Changed a few core issues i had with the game. Loot drops sucking, and the hp of monsters when in a group was just to much.

The new leveling system i cant speak to much on cause i have not even one level. But, i can see how it is a win win, more MF is great means the loot treadmill will just get better as you go higher up. And the base stats will make you feel more powerful at the same time. Not much but maybe just enough.

#14 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

It's okay. I haven't found anything interesting yet but I got my first level of paragon and that seemed cool. I doubt I'll continue playing for long though as I am still only able to play in Act 1 of inferno and that is still super boring.

#15 Edited by Vision (796 posts) -

They're still headed in the wrong direction design wise.

Same old, just a different carrot on the stick.

#16 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

I got 1 paragon level on my Demon Hunter and decided... yup... still feels the same, i'll wait for PvP.

#17 Edited by pweidman (2297 posts) -

This latest update seems pretty great, at first impression at least. I played for 2 hrs last night, for the first time in a while, and was building the new paragon rank from 60. To me the very simple impression was it's fun again.

The elites in inferno are still tough but it's not quite as bad and the loot drops are better for sure. I was getting rares over 2000 much more often. It seems Blizz has really given in to player complaints for the most part. And I think it's a change for the better in the long run. Why it took so long is another topic altogether obviously.

My DH has quite a bit of GF and MF already, but the repair, while still pricey, was not anywhere such a big deal with the gold drops I was getting. Gems are still too pricey imo, at lvl 10 at least.

I was still in Act I btw, so I have no idea about the Act 2 wall. Wanna play it more though, and maybe some others will as well if they revisit now. But man, most of my friends have moved on, and w/Borderlands 2 looming, along with Torchlight 2 sometime soon(?), it may be a more solo experience for me without fooling w/random public games.

#18 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Found out that while trying to reinstall this after a few months break & finding some weird install error (couldn't create the temp directory) & remembering that Guild Wars2 is out next week that it'd be easier to just see it Friday or Saturday when I go over to a friend's place to see it there as I doubt that any changes would have fixed the game enough to remove the connection/lag issues I was having with the Blizz servers. Nice to see them putting more out on this game though rather shocked that they didn't have this at launch with all the development time put into it.

#19 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

I'm really enjoying it. Helping a friend through Hell so I haven't tried to face Act II Inferno yet, but I already enjoy gaining Paragon and the better drop rates. Haven't played in at least a month but I'm back in again.

#20 Posted by wemibelec90 (1550 posts) -

Was working through Nightmare (I took a LONG break from the game) on my Barb as the update came out and it didn't really change my feelings on the game much. I like seeing more loot (including my first legendaries - 2 in the first day) and the nerf on some of the champion packs was helpful. Kinda bummed I didn't get to see Inferno before it was nerfed.

#21 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

jumped back in to check it out, its diablo still.

when trying it out again i came to these conclusions.

act 3 and 4 really bore me. with act 1 seeming to be the best act, nice variety, skeleton king is a nice small boss fight.

#22 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

This patch made Inferno more manageable, which is great. The game still needs work, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

#23 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

I haven't played it yet, but from the notes it doesn't seem to have really fixed9 the problems that caused me to stop logging in in the first place.

#24 Posted by sawtooth (429 posts) -

Went from not being able to finish act III to facing down Diablo (didn't win) in inferno after the patch.

Paragon system was desperately needed, grinding for gold/loot was getting old, but now my dumb mind is ok with it.

#25 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Went back today, and I noticed quite some changes since the last time I've played, mostly for the better. Like materials are now coloured differently, there seem to be more drops, trees are now moving (!!!), Elites and Champions seem manageable now, etc. Though the problem I have with Diablo III is still being ignored by everyone.

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (7995 posts) -

Gave it a quick spin and realized that my DH build will not change one iota. I will probably get serious about it again once I bet bored of TSW. I am definitely pleased with the changes though.

#27 Posted by Heisenberg45 (4 posts) -

I really really want to get back into this full swing and while the paragon system helps validate the grind, I still feel like the gameplay is getting extremely repetitive. I know D2 was like this, but that game is also 12 years old and the trend in gaming right now is moving past repetitive monotony. If this game is going to have a saving grace, it's going to be pvp.

#28 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

That whirlwind buff really makes it so you'd be an idiot not to do that double WW build now...

#29 Posted by The_Nubster (2046 posts) -

Very happy with it. I play a Witch Doctor, so the boost from a base-30 mana/sec regen to a base-45 one, along with the bolstering of a few inferior skills that I was using, is making it a lot more palatable. There's a lot less running back and forth now, and my gargantuan can actually take a few hits. I feel like my current build is worth something again, and I really appreciate that.

#30 Posted by Maginnovision (484 posts) -

I beat inferno before they nerfed anything, but quit after that because it was way too hard for the gear I had. In 1.0.4 I can easily run 1-3 with or without a party. Act 4 I'm still getting 1 shot by everything so can't do act 4 solo(first boss charge is a 1 shot, not the minion and shadows though, that's easy). So right now I've been doing act 3 runs, I'm level 60(10) now and I've found two garbage legendaries and the only items I've bothered putting on AH were ones I crafted so loot still seems crappy. Fun though.

#31 Posted by kabukijoe (6 posts) -

I stopped playing my WD back in June for obvious reasons. Post 1.04 I am rediscovering the joy of summoning minions and solving demonic problems with jars of spiders. I really dig the skill fixes and the paragon system is addicting. Of course the real problem is that once you get a 5 stack going you can't stop playing because that next kill might produce sweet, sweet orange loot.

#32 Posted by doosmacleod (186 posts) -

My monk punches things and then they die.

This is what I bought the game for.

Pleased.

#33 Posted by zels (204 posts) -

Honestly, there's nothing that D3 could do to make me come back.

From where I'm standing the game is broken to the core and offers no enjoyment. I've struggled through it once with a monk and uninstalled it as soon as I beat diablo. Maybe D4 will be better.

#34 Edited by OldManLight (828 posts) -

I only have one level 60 character so i can only speak to it from the perspective of someone playing a monk class. there's still a very steep difficulty spike between act 1 and act 2 inferno. Some of the things like monsters not healing back to full health and removing enrage timers makes it more manageable to die and come back against elite packs but it's still frustrating to keep dying. I at least now get enough gold between deaths that the repair cost of my gear doesn't bankrupt my gold stockpile. I don't believe my gear is insufficient but i'm playing a monk with 60k health, does 17k DPS and has between 50-60% damage mitigation between armor and resists and i still die fairly quickly once an act 2 elite pack comes up.

It really sucks there isn't more content. The paragon system is ok and at least gives you a small reward for leveling a character useful for loot grinding but i agree with everyone who has said loot grinding will not keep people playing this game.

#35 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

@OldManLight said:

es 17k DPS and has between 50-60% damage mitigation between armor and resists and i still die fairly quickly once an act 2 elite pack comes up.

that is some weak dps, need to boost that up. think a trip to the AH is in order for you.

#36 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@stinky said:

@OldManLight said:

es 17k DPS and has between 50-60% damage mitigation between armor and resists and i still die fairly quickly once an act 2 elite pack comes up.

that is some weak dps, need to boost that up. think a trip to the AH is in order for you.

DPS isn't all. 16k is pretty better than nothing. Trying to get over 25k dps in the AH will cost you millions of gold or a sacrifice of too many good stats. I'm a 22k dps barb and I just beat Ac4 with 2200 LoH and 2000 life regen as dual wielding.

#37 Edited by Lazyaza (2167 posts) -

Played Inferno, died over and over for the same bullshit reasons because elites are broken so the games difficulty is still broken, and thus unplayable still. The new extra levels take far too long to get xp for and the game overall still feels like a tedious grindfest and nothing else.

So good job Blizzard, you fixed fuck all as far as I'm concerned.

#38 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

This game needs to handle unit collision better, or just ignore unit collision altogether. It's just too frustrating getting surrounded by enemies who you just can't ran past by, even when using Smoke Screen on Demon Hunter (or even VAULT past them). Dying because of something like that is just... Cheap.

#39 Posted by OldManLight (828 posts) -

@Klei said:

@stinky said:

@OldManLight said:

DPS isn't all. 16k is pretty better than nothing. Trying to get over 25k dps in the AH will cost you millions of gold or a sacrifice of too many good stats. I'm a 22k dps barb and I just beat Ac4 with 2200 LoH and 2000 life regen as dual wielding.

if i could ask, what type of DPS should i be shooting for on inferno? What other stuff should i be looking for (Life on Hit, Life steal)? Help plz.

#40 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

@Klei said:

@stinky said:

@OldManLight said:

true. 16k is better than nothing, 1k is also better than nothing. what is gold worth if not for upgrading?

#41 Posted by Pr1mus (3808 posts) -

I uninstalled it yesterday. Hadn't really played all that much for a couple weeks prior to 1.0.4. I was stuck at Act 2 inferno like a lot of people. When the patch hit i gave it another go. Did another run of Act 2 for starter, found 2 small upgrades that on their own, had they not nerfed the difficulty again, would not have been enough for me to progress through act 3. Act 2 went from being fairly easy to completely trivial. Act 3 went from impossible in my current gear to not all that hard.

I didn't find a single piece of gear for me or worth trying to sell on the AH in the entire act 3. After that i made a couple more runs of act 2 and the equivalent of another run of act 3 plus about half of act 4. Same thing, didn't find a single upgrade or anything that could be sold for more than 50k at best. The economy is still completely busted and nothing drops so whats the point... This is by far the least rewarding ARPG i ever played even when considering that the grind is the whole idea behind the genre.

#42 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Not going to bring me back to the game, too little too late.

#43 Posted by OldManLight (828 posts) -

Has anyone here had a legit playthrough of inferno where you haven't used the auction house and have progressed solely off of drops within the game? pre or post 1.0.4?

#44 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

My game got way less stable so I haven't really gotten to sit down and play. I'm on a mac. Very disappointing.

#45 Posted by reyam04 (2 posts) -

@OldManLight said:

Has anyone here had a legit playthrough of inferno where you haven't used the auction house and have progressed solely off of drops within the game? pre or post 1.0.4?

Nope... I would imagine that would take FOREVER... I simply do not have the patience for that...

A shame cause having to play the AH to advance makes this game meh... Good drops are too few and far in between...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.