How to Enjoy the "Story"

#1 Edited by Mercanis (662 posts) -

How to Enjoy the Story of Diablo 3

1. Select the "demon hunter" class.
  2. Congratulations! You're a member of the Ordo Hereticus!
  3. Your advanced equipment is provided by the Adeptus Mechanicus, blessed by their techpriests to destroy the enemies of Man.
  4. You have been deployed to Sanctuary, a backwater Imperial planet rife with heresy.
  5. Instill the fear of the Inquisition and silence all who would distract you from your holy mission (by pressing the "X" button on all dialogue windows).
  6. Purge the alien, the mutant, and the heretic.
#2 Posted by Metzo_Paino (322 posts) -

I came into this thread with the opinion "The Diablo III story is too terrible to be enjoyed!"

However, as a big fan of Warhammer 40K, you've proven me wrong. Bravo!

#3 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

I have no idea what you just said.

#4 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

Thanks, you made me laugh.

FOR THE EMPEROR!!!

#5 Posted by LassieME (234 posts) -

Word.

#6 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

funny how Diablo 3's lead designer was the lead designer for Dawn of War 2.

#7 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

I believe it's faster if you press Spacebar to silence.

#8 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

Ordo Malleus, anyone?

#9 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Hahahah. Nice. I might do that if I ever decide to play the game.

P.S. - 40k is awesome!

#10 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1669 posts) -

@Shirogane: I think escape is fastest for the dialog windows, then spacebar for the random chatter

#11 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Me neither.

Also, I'm probably risking of people coming with pitchforks after me here, but... I think Diablo III has a good story.

#12 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (676 posts) -

Man. Now I just wish Relic would release an ARPG with The Last Stand mechanics.

#13 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

...what?

#14 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

But... WH40k's lore is just as bad, if not worse?

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Mercanis:

This is the best thread I've seen all year!

@GunslingerPanda said:

Maybe. But there's more of it so it wins.

#16 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

#17 Posted by Village_Guy (2665 posts) -

What...?

#18 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

Chris Metzen has lifted so many ideas whole cloth from Games Workshop it's embarrassing, but that still doesn't keep the Diablo story from being about as interesting as the instruction manual for a refrigerator.

#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@valrog

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Me neither.

Also, I'm probably risking of people coming with pitchforks after me here, but... I think Diablo III has a good story.

Yeah me too. Nothing outstanding but people acting like it's offensively bad are out of their fucking minds. I suppose if people did have SOMETHING to blindly hate they'd never enjoy other games. That is, until the creators of other games do something mildly irritating and then they may as well have leprosy in the eyes of some of these people.
#20 Edited by Mercanis (662 posts) -
#21 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

I have no idea what the Warhammer story is but I thought the story in Diablo 3 is that the world is fully of people with "!" over their heads that you must remove.

#22 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

@EXTomar:

#23 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -

funny how everything they do is top notch but when it comes to storytelling and writing, their games are absolute ass!

less is more would've been more appropriate :)

#24 Posted by Fattony12000 (7568 posts) -

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

#25 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

Part of the reason seems to come from the games they are focusing on. Blizzard is currently focusing on highly replayable systems. As we've seen in some RPGs, a sin is to take away control from the player for the Xth time to make them listen to a speech they've seen and heard for the Yth time through. If someone is replaying a section, keep the explanation short, sweet, and easy to understand because chances are when they are back to that point they'll be even less interested.

#26 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

Part of the reason seems to come from the games they are focusing on. Blizzard is currently focusing on highly replayable systems. As we've seen in some RPGs, a sin is to take away control from the player for the Xth time to make them listen to a speech they've seen and heard for the Yth time through. If someone is replaying a section, keep the explanation short, sweet, and easy to understand because chances are when they are back to that point they'll be even less interested.

but that's just the thing: the characters in D3 keep on talking and talking as opposed to the very short and easily digestible dialog in D2 (even more so in D1), for example. I used to love Deckard Cain, for instance, but Diablo 3 made me actively dislike him because he just wouldn't shut up (and I didn't wanna miss anything crucial the first time through). They somehow half assed the story aspects. They put more of it in there without bringing the writing, voice actors and presentation of it up to modern standards.

#27 Posted by makari (600 posts) -

@Shirogane said:

Pressing escape is even faster

#28 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

Lol

#29 Posted by Milkman (17329 posts) -
@makari said:

@Shirogane said:

Pressing escape is even faster

I just muted the sound all together and listened to music. It was great.
#30 Posted by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

Goddamn how much I would love a Dark Millennium RPG complete with psykers rolling failures and popping the heads of everone nearby..

#31 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

So I gather the 40k MMO is definitely dead?

#32 Posted by demonbear (1877 posts) -

I just love how alot of people dont' get it.

This made me laugh, AND I feel like playing dawn of war now, ints a win-win!!

#33 Posted by lmenzol (270 posts) -

@phrosnite said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

this

#34 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

@Mercanis: Oh man, yeah that would have made the game's story soooo much better.

"Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and the glory of him on earth!"

#35 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

I have no idea what the Warhammer story is....

There is no one story it's a bunch of stories and you just pick the ones you like. Some authors are ass and don't bring any good style twist while other are totally awesome and worth reading regardless if you like 40k like Dan Abnett.

#36 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

....I think the point is that for games like this the story doesn't matter as much as keeping the player moving forward.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.