I Know Nothing About Computers

#1 Posted by brown_thrilla (27 posts) -

So I haven't played computer games since Runescape about 8 years ago. Will I be able to run Diablo 3? If so, what kind of quality of gameplay am I looking at? Here's my hardware:

• 2011 15in Macbook Pro
  • Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7
  • RAM Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
  • Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

**NOTE**: When I look for a detailed system report there is a second graphics card listed :

AMD Radeon HD 6490M -- however instead of saying "built-in" under the column that says "BUS" it says "PCle" (I have no idea what any of this means btw).

#2 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -

You'll run it easily. The 'second' graphics card you listed is the main graphics card of your computer. The PCIe thing means that the card is in a PCIe slot (like most graphics cards), as opposed to being 'built in' to the motherboard. Your motherboard has a really bad graphics card built in in case your main card fails, or you take it out or something.

Long story short, you'll probably be able to run it on mid to maybe high, I expect.

#3 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

Yes Rinkalicious is correct, I am playing on an older MPB, admittedly beefed up a bit but I am running it fine.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

That's a pretty awful card, even for a windows machine, so depending on how well the game has been optimised for Mac you should be able to play it with everything cranked down. I dunno the resolution of macbooks, but I doubt it1920*1080, so that should be ok.

Either try and get yourself a starter edition code now, or wait 'til it is available for everyone and give it a test.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (9137 posts) -

@AlexW00d: Did you see that he mentioned the main video card is a AMD Radeon HD 6490M? That can run Diablo 3 on mid just fine.

#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@AlexW00d: Did you see that he mentioned the main video card is a AMD Radeon HD 6490M? That can run Diablo 3 on mid just fine.

The 6490m that struggles with CoD on medium? Yes, exactly what I was basing it on. It's AMD's second worst current mobile card, just above the 6470m. It's not going to get anywhere near 60fps on mid.

#7 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@AlexW00d: Its Diablo it will look good on low settings.

#8 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

After looking at the tech specs for D3, it seems they did the same thing as what was done with Wow which was to make sure that it can run on just about any machine. If nothing else you can probably find someone on the site that has a guest pass for you to try out to see how well it will run on your machine before sinking money into the game or upgrades on the PC.

#9 Edited by brown_thrilla (27 posts) -

@Rinkalicous: Oh okay thank you very much. Well I'm concerned about having a failed graphics card now. How common is it to have a graphics card fail/what would cause it to do so?

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
#11 Posted by TruthTellah (9137 posts) -

@AlexW00d: As I said, it should be able to handle mid fine, not high. Still, saying it is a pretty awful card that might not even be able to handle the lowest settings is just a bit of an exaggeration. Sure it may not pull a consistent 60 on mid, but it will certainly work on the low settings. I think he should be able to try mid and see how it works for him. Either way, as far as his initial question of "Will I be able to run Diablo 3?", he should definitely be able to play Diablo 3 on his laptop.

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@brown_thrilla said:

@Rinkalicous: Oh okay thank you very much. Well I'm concerned about having a failed graphics card now. How common is it to have a graphics card fail/what would cause it to do so?

You probably don't have a failed GPU. With newer GPUs and onboards graphics, machines will run the onboard when it's something not particularly graphically intensive, and then switch to the dedicated card when you need more power.

@TruthTellah said:

@AlexW00d: As I said, it should be able to handle mid fine, not high. Still, saying it is a pretty awful card that might not even be able to handle the lowest settings is just a bit of an exaggeration. Sure it may not pull a consistent 60 on mid, but it will certainly work on the low settings. I think he should be able to try mid and see how it works for him. Either way, as far as his initial question of "Will I be able to run Diablo 3?", he should definitely be able to play Diablo 3 on his laptop.

He'll most definitely be able to run it sure, but whether it will run well enough to enjoy it much is another thing. I read earlier about how the newer variants of MacOS have been acting shitty with Diablo too.

Still, the Starter Edition is the way to proceed.

#13 Posted by TruthTellah (9137 posts) -

@AlexW00d: Yeah, I definitely think his best bet is to try out the Starter Edition and make sure it's satisfactory for him. :)

#14 Posted by brown_thrilla (27 posts) -

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help. How do I go about getting a starter edition?

#15 Posted by Etaber (160 posts) -

@brown_thrilla: Macbook pros have two graphics cards, one that is crappy but easy on battery life and one that is more powerful but drains your battery a lot faster. The laptop will switch between them depending on how much graphics power is necessary (I think there are also some settings you can adjust to influence which card is used). It's not an indication that anything is failing.

#16 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

2011 15in Mac....

I agree.

#17 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -
@ShadowSkill11 said:

2011 15in Mac....

I agree.

Come on, dude. That's not very nice.
#18 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1978 posts) -
@brown_thrilla

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help. How do I go about getting a starter edition?

I think the only way to get it is if you have a friend that has the full version of the game.
#19 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

2011 15in Mac....

I agree.

I'm sorry. I feel terrible about making a harmless jest based on his own words.

#20 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -
@ShadowSkill11 said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

2011 15in Mac....

I agree.

I'm sorry. I feel terrible about making a harmless jest based on his own words.

Good.
#21 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Later on in the game even me and my friends were getting FPS drops during extreme AOE, we are all over on i5/i7 GTX 560+ rigs, I think you'll get on fine for the most part but expect some slideshows here and there.

That was with 3 other people all making shit go off though, so probably extra mobs + a lot of extra spell effects are bound to take their toll!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.