I'm computer ignorant - wondering if my machine will run Diablo 3

#1 Posted by SlantedRoom (265 posts) -

Hey there, I am primarily a console gamer but I am looking into playing Diablo III. I dont know much about computers and am wondering if my machine would run it decently. 

I have a HP Desktop

- ADM Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz 

- 6 GB RAM (5.75 usable) 

- 64 bit operating system 

- NVIDIA GeForce 9100 Graphics Card 

From what I've researched I think I'm good on everything besides my graphics card. I couldn't find it anywhere on Blizzard's list of supported and not supported cards. Thank you for your help!!
#2 Posted by GabrielNox (13 posts) -

Based on the family and the year, yes.

#3 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

I'd say so.

#4 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

canyourunit will give you a real good idea if you can run it or not. Since it straight up tells you if you meet the system requirements or not.

#5 Edited by Kidavenger (3544 posts) -

Your graphics card is below minimum requirements.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-unsupported-video-card-list

Your card isn't listed on either list, but your card is in the same range as the cards listed under game won't even start, let alone look bad.

The 2nd number in a video card model number, 1 in your case, is it's relative power, 1(worst) all the way up to 9(best).

#6 Posted by SlantedRoom (265 posts) -
@Kidavenger
OH, hahaha, thanks for pointing that out. That is something I did not know. Bummer.. looks like I'm not going to be playing until i do a little bit of upgrading!
#7 Posted by GabrielNox (13 posts) -

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903441037

It seems strange that not a single list shows any of the 9xxx as unsupported. This would be considerably easier if Nvidia actually knew how to name cards properly.

#8 Posted by Stonyman65 (2699 posts) -

@GabrielNox said:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903441037

It seems strange that not a single list shows any of the 9xxx as unsupported. This would be considerably easier if Nvidia actually knew how to name cards properly.

Meaning? The naming scheme has been the same for a long time, and now AMD/ATI are doing the same thing. It's not that hard to figure out.....

#9 Posted by CornBREDX (5224 posts) -

A good indicator would be to try a guest pass (demo). If you need one let me know.

#10 Edited by RedRavN (400 posts) -

I don't know guys, I'm guessing it would run on that card as budget as it is. Everything else in the comp is more than fine for d3. Hell, the game runs on high at 1024x786 with a nvidia 8600gt.

You could just spend $50 on a last gen midrange video card and be able to max the game just fine. Its not difficult at all to swap them. Just make sure your motherboard is compatable with the card before you buy.

edit: check out this website

http://videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=GeForce+9100

So your video card shares memory with your motherboard and is a laptop card so card swapping is totally out of the question. It is about on par with the dedicted 8400m gt laptop setup. So its pretty decent for an integrated card. It supports pixel shader 4, has 256mb of ram, and works with dx 10. So I think your computer will run diablo 3 even if your setup is not officially supported by blizzard. However, I think its a good idea to try and get a guest trial pass and give it a shot before you buy it, or buy it from a place that has returns.

Also, you can play torchlight which is available now and also probably torchlight 2 when it launches soon. They are very similar games.

#11 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@RedRavN said:

I don't know guys, I'm guessing it would run on that card as budget as it is. Everything else in the comp is more than fine for d3. Hell, the game runs on high at 1024x786 with a nvidia 8600gt.

You could just spend $50 on a last gen midrange video card and be able to max the game just fine. Its not difficult at all to swap them. Just make sure your motherboard is compatable with the card before you buy.

A 9600GT is substantially faster than the 9100 integrated chipset.

#12 Posted by RedRavN (400 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@RedRavN said:

I didn't even say 9600gt, you have reading comprehension issues? Also, read the rest of my post after I did some research when I figured out what a 9100 was.

#13 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

check systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

#14 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@RedRavN said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@RedRavN said:

I didn't even say 9600gt, you have reading comprehension issues? Also, read the rest of my post after I did some research when I figured out what a 9100 was.

Pardon the typo, no need to be a dick about it. An 8600GT is STILL substantially faster than the 9xxx integrated chipset and you ninja edited. I guess you do need to be a dick about it,

#15 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Simply put, NO.

#16 Posted by SlantedRoom (265 posts) -
@CornBREDX Dude that would be great if you have an extra guest pass I would gladly accept it! And appreciate it very very much so!
#17 Edited by Slaegar (709 posts) -

Short Answer: No

Long Answer:

CPU: Good

RAM: Plenty

GPU: OH GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE

Rant: That is the lowest of the low end for a video card line that is ancient. Anything below x600 (ie 9600 8600) of that generation is not really a gaming card. You will want a GTX 460 or better to run the game nicely at a high (1080p) resolution. An AMD Equivalent is obviously fine too (6870 (7850)).

That doesn't look like a gaming machine hence the $20 video card.

#18 Edited by jonano (365 posts) -

Man I can run Diablo3 On a laptop with Intel HD intergrated graphics sure all the setting are on low and the resolution but it plays fine .

#19 Posted by TOA_Doom (70 posts) -

You should try a guest pass. The system requirements lab is good generally, but according to it my cpu doesn't even meet the minimum, and though i need to set everything to low, the game really still looks ok and runs perfectly fine.

#20 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -

@jonano said:

Man I can run Diablo3 On a laptop with Intel HD intergrated graphics sure all the setting are on low and the resolution but it plays fine .

I'm playing with Intel HD graphics with the same settings and still get a lot of chug and low framerate in the more fancy looking areas. Hate it. I think the moral of this thread is INVEST IN GOOD HARDWARE NEXT TIME.

#21 Posted by TheAbidingDude (15 posts) -

A cheap GPU should run it. I would recommend a gtx 460. They are around $120.

#22 Posted by cid798 (241 posts) -

I'm wondering too and anxiously awaiting starter edition to not be guest pass only. They list the same requirements for SC2 and D3. SC2 runs like a dream but I get lag from the menu background alone when navigating options on D3 so I'm stuck waiting for starter edition.

#23 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

@TheAbidingDude said:

A cheap GPU should run it. I would recommend a gtx 460. They are around $120.

This, that's what I have and everything defaulted to high except shadows (medium)...runs great!

#24 Posted by JoSouth (3 posts) -

@RedRavN said:

^

this

#25 Posted by Th3_James (2577 posts) -

Get a new gpu.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.