improve this demon hunter

#1 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -
#2 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

I'd say drop something for Smoke Screen. Probably Chakram?

#3 Edited by Turambar (6790 posts) -

Replace frozen arrow with ensnare/chain gang and fan of knives with caltrops/jagged spike.  Also drop Thrill of the Hunt and add Culling the Weak.  You're never going to have enough enough hatred with that build and discipline skills will become your best friend at hell and beyond.  Best get acquainted with them now.  Also with two slowing skills (your original build has cold arrow as well), there is zero reason not to take advantage of a passive that equates to 15% more damage.

I'd get rid of dark cloud as well personally because you'll be doing a lot of kiting at higher difficulties, making a cursor guided skill rather inefficient.  Replace it with Stampede if you really want to retain Rain of Vengeance, which gives you some crowd control.

#4 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Replace frozen arrow with ensnare/chain gang and fan of knives with caltrops/jagged spike. Also drop Thrill of the Hunt and add Culling the Weak. You're never going to have enough enough hatred with that build and discipline skills will become your best friend at hell and beyond. Best get acquainted with them now. Also with two slowing skills (your original build has cold arrow as well), there is zero reason not to take advantage of a passive that equates to 15% more damage. I'd get rid of dark cloud as well personally because you'll be doing a lot of kiting at higher difficulties, making a cursor guided skill rather inefficient. Replace it with Stampede if you really want to retain Rain of Vengeance, which gives you some crowd control.

hmm ill give that a go.. i started the demon hunter because i made my other class on the US servers but so far i cant seem to enjoy this class much. dunno if the class just doesnt appeal to me or because of the perk combo im using

#5 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -
@sideshow said:

@Turambar said:

Replace frozen arrow with ensnare/chain gang and fan of knives with caltrops/jagged spike. Also drop Thrill of the Hunt and add Culling the Weak. You're never going to have enough enough hatred with that build and discipline skills will become your best friend at hell and beyond. Best get acquainted with them now. Also with two slowing skills (your original build has cold arrow as well), there is zero reason not to take advantage of a passive that equates to 15% more damage. I'd get rid of dark cloud as well personally because you'll be doing a lot of kiting at higher difficulties, making a cursor guided skill rather inefficient. Replace it with Stampede if you really want to retain Rain of Vengeance, which gives you some crowd control.

hmm ill give that a go.. i started the demon hunter because i made my other class on the US servers but so far i cant seem to enjoy this class much. dunno if the class just doesnt appeal to me or because of the perk combo im using

Well, all your skills require hatred but you lack a hatred generating LMB skill.  Of course your damage output is going to be poor.
#6 Posted by happypup70 (172 posts) -

I have to agree with the rest of the crowd. You need a hatred generator in your build. there are a lot of good ones out there. You also need some survival, or discipline using skills. Where you are at right now they aren't super useful but you need to get used to using them and managing discipline. It is a slowly regenerating energy pool, but is entirely necessary in hell and above. I use smokescreen, the bat, and right now shadow power with the damage mitigation. popping smokescreen at the right time can mean the difference between being one shoted and having no damage. Shadow power can reduce the amount of damage received so that you wont get one shoted and heals you. Really your dps skills are more personal taste. Just know that you will be moving around allot. I have had great success on killing elites/champions by using spike traps and kiting them through them until they are low on health then popping shadow power and taking them out. I am only on hell though so My strategy will probably change on Inferno.

#7 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

ive tried the caltrops but im not digging them at all :/ the chain is a bit meh as well.. just not satisfying enough for me

#8 Edited by destruktive (1069 posts) -

@sideshow said:

ive tried the caltrops but im not digging them at all :/ the chain is a bit meh as well.. just not satisfying enough for me

Caltrops are what makes it possible to survive on Inferno. Without it I would be completely screwed, all the time.

I use this build on my level 60: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WRVXYT!YeT!ZccZbZ and it works. Preparation is vital for survival on inferno as well since it's kinda important to be able to smoke screen at any time.

My way of dealing with people = Run close but not too close, lay down 2-3 caltrops and then shoot a couple of bola shots towards them and hope for a stun before spamming them with nether tentacles.

#9 Edited by TMBaker (230 posts) -
#10 Posted by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

I have found the best build for grinding / leveling to be: 1 - Vault, 2 - Caltrops, 3 - Fan of Knives, 4 - (Whatever you want here. I use Marked for Death for the +12% damage or Sentry if I feel its needed. Preparation is also a good choice. Rain of Vengence or Chakram are also useful. Left Click - Bolo Shot, Right Click - Elemental Arrow (Frost).

It gives a ton of movement then a lot of AOE to blow up groups of enemies. Then when I reach a boss or a single target enemy, I will swap out Bolo Shot, Fan of Knives, and Elemental Arrow for a more single target abilities. With the build you linked, it seems like your trying to play the DH as a Monk or Barb. You shouldn't ever stop moving, Just kite enemies forever, use caltrops to slow, then use smoke screen / vault to get back and spam shots. You need a hatred generating skill, you can't function without one.

#11 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (668 posts) -

@sideshow: I would... Swap out every single skill except for two of your passives! Check this out.

Here's my current build: KICK-ASS!(TM)

Admittedly, mind, I'm lvl 60 and I've just soloed my way through Belial on inferno; so there are a few runes that won't be available for you here. But they're easily swapped out.

1: You WILL need Shadow Power (preferably with the gloom rune) when you hit act 2 on hell. You simply won't survive without it. Between the 65 % reduced damage and the 20 % damage-to-life, you'll be unkillable for 3 seconds; and them are precious 3 seconds in which you can dps the hell (or inferno) out of the enemy forces. Up until that point, "Blood Moon" will do the trick, as well.

Mouse 1: Entanglish Shot with Justice Is Served. Slow AND 6 hatred regeneration with each shot, allows you to use your mouse 2 to wreak absolute havoc on both singular enemies and entire groups. Besides, use shadow power, throw out 2 knives and your health will most likely be full again even if it's pretty low.. That's how much damage it does.

2: Smoke screen is, as I found out at great cost to both my sanity and my item durability, far better than vault for three simple reasons; first of all, you take NO damage when it's up. Not from anything. Two: it allows you to break any stun/snare/freeze, etcetera. three (When you use it, the enemy actually loses aggro on you and starts attacking something else, or running in the opposite direction after a second or two. (Good for you!)

3: Preparation is a must. The 60 % heal with a 45 sec cd is priceless and the ability itself is free to use; great for fuelling your 1-2, and fantastic for getting your health back up again. It's a win-win ability!

4: Rain of vengeance, woohoo! The 47 unluck is beautiful. Stampede is basically a 7 sec mass area stun as it continues to knock enemies back over and over again. Up until you get it, I'd actually suggest going either caltrops (with extra slow) or dark cloud rune for rain of vengeance. The good thing about this ability is that there's no cost for it. Another option would be summoning a companion, but on higher diffiuclties, I've found them pretty much useless.

Boss: Swap out your 4 (rain of vengeance, hopefully) for mark of death on bosses, and your rune on your mouse 2, "impact" or "chemical burn", depending on what you need most.

Passives!: As for the passives, stick with the ones you have, except for your third, instead you HAVE to get "Steady Aim". 10 yards is very, very short range. heck, even when most mobs melee attack you, they're still 10 yards away. This passive gives you 20 % more dps, just like that. Use it. It's a LOT of dps.

This entire build is centered around attrition with plenty of self-heals and ways to allow yourself to just lay waste to the enemy without attempting to kite them (useless on later difficulties as you're likely to get one-shotted anyway. I get one-shotted on inferno late act-2 by just about anything, and my character has 44 k health. Yeah.. If I pop my shadow power, I can tank and kill them, slip away with smoke screen and use preperation to restore discipline (and health, you'll need much of that, and sooner or later, pots stop cutting it; then proceed to repeat the routine, kite them with your Mouse 1 while building up more hatred, and then repeat. They will die.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.