Inconsistent FPS/Slowdown in Diablo 3

#1 Posted by Jrinswand (1699 posts) -

Hey guys, I've been looking for a stupid, mindless game that I can play when I'm not working on school stuff (I like to turn off my brain when I'm playing games, especially towards the end of the school semester), so I installed Diablo 3 for the first time since whatever month it was when it originally came out.

The game used to run fine when I had some dual-core processor and an HD 4850, but I've upgraded my computer since then and now the game plays worse than it ever had before. Right now I'm rocking an i5-3570k and an HD 7850, but the game plays very sluggishly. There even seems to be slowdown when I'm on the menu screens.

Does anybody know what might be causing this or how I might go about trying to fix it? I really want to play Diablo, but I don't want to spend hours troubleshooting a problem that I shouldn't be having in the first place.

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@jrinswand:

You mentioned installing D3 again. The problem might be the way the game handles loading assets for the first time. If you roll a new character and run up the gates to New Tristram, does the lag persist? If so, the slowdown should go away after you see an area for the first time.

Also try enabling the framerate limiter (set it to like 100 or something well above where you'd notice frames but well below the point your GPU would oveheat trying to render them).

#3 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2429 posts) -

Do you have the latest drivers installed?

#4 Posted by Jrinswand (1699 posts) -

@jrinswand:

You mentioned installing D3 again. The problem might be the way the game handles loading assets for the first time. If you roll a new character and run up the gates to New Tristram, does the lag persist? If so, the slowdown should go away after you see an area for the first time.

Also try enabling the framerate limiter (set it to like 100 or something well above where you'd notice frames but well below the point your GPU would oveheat trying to render them).

Do you have the latest drivers installed?

I've tried both of these things, but no dice. The updated drivers did help me get the game out of the 8 fps range, but I'm still regularly dipping down into 45 fps territory (even when doing things such as running), which should definitely not be happening, considering the power of my computer's CPU, video card, and RAM.

Any other ideas? I would really like to be able to play Diablo 3 without sacrificing anything in the way of quality/fidelity.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@jrinswand:

Bummer. Just to be sure, you did a clean install on the new drivers, right? (Completely uninstalled old ones, restarted, installed new ones) I could see this potentially being the problem if you upgraded from an old video card that worked fine before.

If you've ruled old drivers out and you're still having issues, maybe check this thread for some common fixes: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149007081

#6 Edited by EXTomar (4633 posts) -

The only time I have slowdown in Diablo 3 is after jumping into the initial combat area when I go "Join Game" to "Teleport to player". Otherwise after that it runs very smooth. This is due to the massive loading of assets from players, player gear, player effects as well as the instance stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.