Is Blizzard leaving PC gamers and focusing consoles

  • 72 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for sarfang
#1 Posted by Sarfang (3 posts) -

After seeing the Diablo 3 beta on youtube being updated recently it seems like they are dumbing the gameplay down. Even after PC gamers made Blizzard what it is today we see them trying to make more consoles. In the end I think this will be bad because as we have seen over the past year PC gaming is growing so should Blizzard continue to focus on console gamers or come back and focus on PC gamers.

Avatar image for benspyda
#2 Edited by benspyda (2128 posts) -

But Diablo III is a PC game not a console game just like everything they make. I do not understand your point?

Edit: Ok there are console versions but they are a port the PC version not vice versa.

Avatar image for irvandus
#3 Posted by Irvandus (3170 posts) -

No, in fact, lol no. Also it's Diablo game play aint complicated. All complexity really comes from specing out stuff which is not it's original purpose. It's suppose to offer a player choice in their character creation when really that's not possible because their is always an optimal build. Theirs your complexity, looking up the best build online. Lets also get it straight that I'm a Blizzard fanboy but even I can see this.

Avatar image for adoggz
#4 Posted by adoggz (2081 posts) -

hum, blizz makes wow so clearly they are gonna abandon the platform that lets them print money.

Avatar image for re_player1
#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (8002 posts) -

No Blizzard loves the PC and it has a direct relationship with it's consumers, be it the millions playing Warcraft and Starcraft or the upcoming Diablo 3. The only reason you will start seeing their games on consoles is if they think the ideas translate well and they have a guaranteed seller. Diablo 3 is a game that can work on a console so I can see why they would look into a 360/PS3/WiiU version of it. Warcraft and Starcraft on the other hand will likely remain PC exclusive.

Avatar image for ahmadmetallic
#6 Edited by AhmadMetallic (19302 posts) -

This can only go two ways, as usual: Either Diablo 3 doesn't sell well on consoles (sells better on PC) and people who bought it take your side, condemning Blizzard for dumbing down the game, or the game sells well on consoles, and everyone will call you an old-school closed-minded and jaded fanboy who needs to get with the times. 
 
I expect it to sell well on consoles, and we all know that when that happens, any decent gameplay design you dream of will be a thing of the past because the console crowd demand nothing and have very basic standards. A Crytek game is linear? Who caaaares its FUN. A DICE BF game has no commander? who caaares its FUN. You can't holster your weapon in a Bioware game to explore properly? Who caaaares its fun.  
It's about time Blizzard joined those formerly-PC developers in getting the console crowd's big money while serving them half-assed dumbed-down feature-stripped titles. Diablo 3 sounds like it. 
A Diablo game that doesn't have/support whatever it is that a Diablo game is expected to have/support? It will sell most on Xbox 360 and those guys will tell you to get with the times and accept INNOVATION (less features).

Avatar image for extomar
#7 Posted by EXTomar (5047 posts) -

I don't think Blizzard is leaving PC where if anything their precious and expensive infrastructure known as Battle.net is very PC centric. Why build up that tech if they were just going to use another's platform?

Avatar image for ubersmake
#8 Posted by Ubersmake (771 posts) -

Everytime someone talks about Diablo 3 on the PC and consoles, all I can think about is how much I'd love to control my character using WASD.

Avatar image for spunky
#9 Edited by Spunky (59 posts) -

The Diablo 3 beta is EXTREMELY far from what end game Diablo will be like. In the beta your only playing like 1/4 of act 1 on normal, so yes, the gameplay is going to look extremely dumbed down and boring because you are using a stick with level 1 abllities. Even Diablo 2 is like this, shit, entire normal mode is like that. When you get into the higher difficulties, and even blizzard has said this, shit is going to be fucked.

Avatar image for oldirtybearon
#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5626 posts) -

Diablo 3 on 360, you say?

I am intrigued.

Avatar image for fox01313
#11 Posted by fox01313 (5186 posts) -

Not probably moving to consoles (they've had this long to try it & haven't), think they might be going down the route of making the games easier for everyone to get more people playing it but after this long of them doing what they want, who can say wtf blizzard is doing.

Avatar image for wuddel
#12 Posted by Wuddel (2400 posts) -

Diablo is about right-clicking stuff a lot. Its hardly on the forefront of extremely deep PC games. Blizzard is catering to the casual PC gaming audience who wants to see all the content, instead of console players that are hindered by control input. Same thing happened in WoW (granted I did not play WoW for a couple of years). The normal difficulty is for everyone.

Avatar image for droop
#13 Posted by Droop (1927 posts) -

Sure why not.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
#14 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6805 posts) -

Yeah, they're totally focusing on console games. Totally.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
#15 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (756 posts) -

WoW is coming to WiiU, so yeah totally.

Avatar image for animathias
#16 Posted by animathias (1271 posts) -

If the gameplay in Diablo III is "dumbed down," you should blame WoW first and consoles second. I say this because Blizzard's fanbase now has a few million or more "casual" players who don't play anything besides WoW, don't know what Diablo 2 is, and might try 3 simply because of Blizzard's name.
Also, the hardcore Blizzard fans might have given them their start, but it's the millions upon millions of WoW subscriptions that gave them their money.

Avatar image for groin
#17 Posted by groin (869 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

This can only go two ways, as usual: Either Diablo 3 doesn't sell well on consoles (sells better on PC) and people who bought it take your side, condemning Blizzard for dumbing down the game, or the game sells well on consoles, and everyone will call you an old-school closed-minded and jaded fanboy who needs to get with the times.

I expect it to sell well on consoles, and we all know that when that happens, any decent gameplay design you dream of will be a thing of the past because the console crowd demand nothing and have very basic standards. A Crytek game is linear? Who caaaares its FUN. A DICE BF game has no commander? who caaares its FUN. You can't holster your weapon in a Bioware game to explore properly? Who caaaares its fun. It's about time Blizzard joined those formerly-PC developers in getting the console crowd's big money while serving them half-assed dumbed-down feature-stripped titles. Diablo 3 sounds like it. A Diablo game that doesn't have/support whatever it is that a Diablo game is expected to have/support? It will sell most on Xbox 360 and those guys will tell you to get with the times and accept INNOVATION (less features).
2153918-199324-crankykong2_large.jpg
Avatar image for phrosnite
#18 Edited by phrosnite (3516 posts) -

Dude, Diablo 3 looked like adapted for consoles even in 2008. Why do people forget that demo?

Avatar image for breadfan
#19 Posted by Breadfan (6803 posts) -

Yo

Loading Video...
Avatar image for iamjohn
#20 Edited by iAmJohn (6205 posts) -

How do you dumb down Diablo's gameplay? No seriously, how do you do it, unless you add the ability to auto-right-click everything in a room? Diablo's not that fucking deep. What a stupid thread.

Avatar image for turambar
#21 Edited by Turambar (7955 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic: What is Diablo 3 not supporting that it is expected to support?
Avatar image for justin258
#22 Posted by Justin258 (13949 posts) -

@groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

This can only go two ways, as usual: Either Diablo 3 doesn't sell well on consoles (sells better on PC) and people who bought it take your side, condemning Blizzard for dumbing down the game, or the game sells well on consoles, and everyone will call you an old-school closed-minded and jaded fanboy who needs to get with the times.

I expect it to sell well on consoles, and we all know that when that happens, any decent gameplay design you dream of will be a thing of the past because the console crowd demand nothing and have very basic standards. A Crytek game is linear? Who caaaares its FUN. A DICE BF game has no commander? who caaares its FUN. You can't holster your weapon in a Bioware game to explore properly? Who caaaares its fun. It's about time Blizzard joined those formerly-PC developers in getting the console crowd's big money while serving them half-assed dumbed-down feature-stripped titles. Diablo 3 sounds like it. A Diablo game that doesn't have/support whatever it is that a Diablo game is expected to have/support? It will sell most on Xbox 360 and those guys will tell you to get with the times and accept INNOVATION (less features).
2153918-199324-crankykong2_large.jpg

Greatest motherfucking response ever. Not just in the history of the internet, the history of mankind.

Avatar image for mirado
#23 Posted by Mirado (2273 posts) -

@Sarfang said:

After seeing the Diablo 3 beta on youtube being updated recently it seems like they are dumbing the gameplay down. Even after PC gamers made Blizzard what it is today we see them trying to make more consoles. In the end I think this will be bad because as we have seen over the past year PC gaming is growing so should Blizzard continue to focus on console gamers or come back and focus on PC gamers.

You do realize that a) the original Diablo team left a long time ago (and I'd argue they aren't watering anything down as Diablo was never that complex), hence the change in style and that b) they have a bunch of teams, one of which is still working on the very-PC only Starcraft 2 expansion? Or that they are releasing yet another expansion for WoW? Or that they are working on a brand new MMO.

What part of any of that is them focusing on consoles?

Avatar image for d00dcomeon
#24 Posted by d00dCOMEON (26 posts) -

i wonder what the actual age of all these saber rattling doomsayers are, because more than likely, they didnt start playing FPS's until after cs1.6, they really have no idea what games were like before they become mainstream

Avatar image for wuddel
#25 Posted by Wuddel (2400 posts) -

@d00dCOMEON said:

i wonder what the actual age of all these saber rattling doomsayers are, because more than likely, they didnt start playing FPS's until after cs1.6, they really have no idea what games were like before they become mainstream

Before the mainstream PC games weren't FPS. Or hell, even real-time.

Avatar image for adamsons
#26 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

How do you dumb down Diablo's gameplay? No seriously, how do you do it, unless you add the ability to auto-right-click everything in a room? Diablo's not that fucking deep. What a stupid thread.

Nailed it.
 
Diablo 3 beta is pretty fun though, looking forward to release.
Avatar image for valiantgoat
#27 Posted by ValiantGoat (406 posts) -

You can't really dumb down the gameplay in diablo. Seriously, previous entries in the series had a left click attack and a right click attack and that was it.

Avatar image for krazy_kyle
#28 Posted by krazy_kyle (740 posts) -

I don't want to waste too much time on this ludicrous topic but I will leave with this, you sir, are an idiot.

Avatar image for yi_orange
#29 Posted by YI_Orange (1315 posts) -

Yes. They changed their release schedule. Mists of Pandaria and Heart of the Swarm are both going to be console exclusives. Diablo 3 is just there to ease the transition.

Avatar image for frawrst
#30 Posted by fRAWRst (246 posts) -

Diablo is one of the easiest games skill wise. Console port doesnt "dumb it down"

Avatar image for mildmolasses
#31 Posted by MildMolasses (3200 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

Everytime someone talks about Diablo 3 on the PC and consoles, all I can think about is how much I'd love to control my character using WASD.

I cant see how people think direct control makes less sense than clicking somewhere. I totally agree that it probably works better with a keyboard control structure for the hotkey mapping, but having direct control of the character seems to make total sense. This is a game that I could see making a much smoother transition to a console that a lot of other genres that have been attempted.

Also, they haven't even confirmed this yet so why worry about it?

Avatar image for def
#32 Posted by DeF (5328 posts) -

@benspyda said:

But Diablo III is a PC game not a console game just like everything they make. I do not understand your point?

Edit: Ok there are console versions but they are a port the PC version not vice versa.

There are no console versions yet. They are experimenting with it.

The OP's point is pretty weird, though. how can they focus on console gamers with a game that is (for all we know) only coming to the PC and never had any complex gameplay systems anyway?!

I hate this mentality that just because they're taking stuff out they put in there, they must be dumbing the game down and "robbing" gamers of elements. It's 100% ridiculous.

Avatar image for gilsham
#33 Posted by Gilsham (302 posts) -

In the current build of D3 every class has at least one ablity that requires something going to where your mouse is (leap, vault, teleport, spider jar, dashing fist(w/e it is called)) I still don't have any idea as to how you can do that well with a controller without making them less useful, and while the game play isn't dumbed down (in fact they have hot keys for more skills that the others) the skill system could be looked upon as being a worse system, I don't think so and I really like the spell rune system (which is taken from WoW but in D3 they have more freedom) the grouping of skills while will mean less builds I think most people would end up with something very close to a build that would fit into the system. I also preferred the system of upgrading your crafters that involved not just throwing cash at them esp now that you can't junk items in the field I think you should be able to turn items into gold in the field but have to come back to town to break items into crafting mats (I also hope that mats from each won't be unique to them)

Avatar image for slither_maggot
#34 Posted by Slither_Maggot (288 posts) -

@Spunky: *thumbs up* Going to be fucking epic. Can't imagine them improving upon the difficulty to make it that much better. Going to be great!

Avatar image for sickvisionz
#35 Posted by sickVisionz (1307 posts) -

Yup, with all of their big hits and upcoming titles being PC exclusive, they are totally leaving PC gamers and focusing on consoles.

For real? LOL wtf? Not making games on consoles is now considered "focusing" on consoles? Which word do you not know the definition of: consoles or focusing?

Avatar image for pantagruel
#36 Posted by Pantagruel (2 posts) -

I understand the OPs concern, if Blizzard starts in on consoles who is left for PC? Hopefully the next generation of consoles will come out soon, and PC will cease being hamstrung by the current hardware.

However, on topic, I wouldn't imagine Blizzard is going console any time soon!

Avatar image for shirogane
#37 Posted by Shirogane (3617 posts) -

If you look at the changes they made to the beta, it does look like they're designing the game for a console now. Primary attack, Secondary attack, 4 skills and a potion button. This is a pretty big change from what it was before, where you had your left and right mouse buttons, then an action bar, and you could set everything to whatever you want, instead of being limited to certain skills. That said, D2 only ever had 2 buttons, and F1-F5 hotkeys or something. Then again, they've completely removed your ablity to attack with your equipped weapon now.

Online
Avatar image for clstirens
#38 Posted by clstirens (854 posts) -

@groin said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

This can only go two ways, as usual: Either Diablo 3 doesn't sell well on consoles (sells better on PC) and people who bought it take your side, condemning Blizzard for dumbing down the game, or the game sells well on consoles, and everyone will call you an old-school closed-minded and jaded fanboy who needs to get with the times.

I expect it to sell well on consoles, and we all know that when that happens, any decent gameplay design you dream of will be a thing of the past because the console crowd demand nothing and have very basic standards. A Crytek game is linear? Who caaaares its FUN. A DICE BF game has no commander? who caaares its FUN. You can't holster your weapon in a Bioware game to explore properly? Who caaaares its fun. It's about time Blizzard joined those formerly-PC developers in getting the console crowd's big money while serving them half-assed dumbed-down feature-stripped titles. Diablo 3 sounds like it. A Diablo game that doesn't have/support whatever it is that a Diablo game is expected to have/support? It will sell most on Xbox 360 and those guys will tell you to get with the times and accept INNOVATION (less features).
2153918-199324-crankykong2_large.jpg

10/10 you are amazing, sir

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
#39 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (1017 posts) -

Pretty much every Blizzard game plays better on the pc. I wouldn't put it past them to sell out, plently of pc developers have. Epic. Peter M. Ken Levine.

Tons and tons, as soon as they get a wiff of easy console money, they are off!

Avatar image for marz
#40 Posted by Marz (5927 posts) -

what's dumbed down about it? i've played every diablo game and most of my college life within diablo 2. Playing the beta of Diablo 3 it seems like a Diablo game. /shrug

Avatar image for mikkaq
#41 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@AhmadMetallic: What is Diablo 3 not supporting that it is expected to support?

Probably LAN support if Starcraft 2 is any indication.

What a fucking tragedy!

Avatar image for turambar
#42 Posted by Turambar (7955 posts) -
@MikkaQ said:

@Turambar said:

@AhmadMetallic: What is Diablo 3 not supporting that it is expected to support?

Probably LAN support if Starcraft 2 is any indication.

What a fucking tragedy!

At least SC2 had the argument that any minor lag is detrimental to competitive play on a high level, and LAN should have been an option to get around that.  But you lose none of the experience by not having it in D3.  Not to mention the existence of an auction house that you can earn real money would mean the game is gonna have to clamp down on any possible avenues of duping, starting with not letting you run it offline.
Avatar image for mikkaq
#43 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Turambar said:

@AhmadMetallic: What is Diablo 3 not supporting that it is expected to support?

Probably LAN support if Starcraft 2 is any indication.

What a fucking tragedy!

At least SC2 had the argument that any minor lag is detrimental to competitive play on a high level, and LAN should have been an option to get around that. But you lose none of the experience by not having it in D3. Not to mention the existence of an auction house that you can earn real money would mean the game is gonna have to clamp down on any possible avenues of duping, starting with not letting you run it offline.

I was being sarcastic hah. I was always behind that decision even in Starcraft 2 because everyone I know has wi-fi at home. I don't play at a level where lag would matter much.

Avatar image for peasantabuse
#44 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5098 posts) -

I just read on twitter that Blizzard canceled the PC version.

Avatar image for mordukai
#45 Posted by mordukai (8282 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

This can only go two ways, as usual: Either Diablo 3 doesn't sell well on consoles (sells better on PC) and people who bought it take your side, condemning Blizzard for dumbing down the game, or the game sells well on consoles, and everyone will call you an old-school closed-minded and jaded fanboy who needs to get with the times.

I expect it to sell well on consoles, and we all know that when that happens, any decent gameplay design you dream of will be a thing of the past because the console crowd demand nothing and have very basic standards. A Crytek game is linear? Who caaaares its FUN. A DICE BF game has no commander? who caaares its FUN. You can't holster your weapon in a Bioware game to explore properly? Who caaaares its fun. It's about time Blizzard joined those formerly-PC developers in getting the console crowd's big money while serving them half-assed dumbed-down feature-stripped titles. Diablo 3 sounds like it. A Diablo game that doesn't have/support whatever it is that a Diablo game is expected to have/support? It will sell most on Xbox 360 and those guys will tell you to get with the times and accept INNOVATION (less features).

To tell you the truth after hearing the DRM D3 will be using I will be more then happy to get it on consoles. I don't care if I get downgraded graphics or downgraded performance as long as I don't have to always be online to play the Single Player portion of it.

Avatar image for spartanlolz92
#46 Posted by spartanlolz92 (520 posts) -

-__-

lol why yes blizzard is abandoning the pc spending 10 development time on 2 seperate pc games really shows a lack of dedication to the platform

Avatar image for avidwriter
#47 Posted by avidwriter (670 posts) -

Most games are getting dumbed down because gamers are getting stupider.

Avatar image for landon
#48 Posted by Landon (4137 posts) -

@avidwriter said:

Most games are getting dumbed down because gamers are getting stupider.

I don't remember a time when everyone was complaining games as a whole were too hard. I think it's the developers who just assume the masses can't figure out simple logic and patters.

Avatar image for commisar123
#49 Posted by Commisar123 (1908 posts) -

I don't think so. Diablo 3 still seems like a classic PC dungeon crawl to me.

Avatar image for questionable
#50 Edited by Questionable (670 posts) -

@Landon said:

@avidwriter said:

Most games are getting dumbed down because gamers are getting stupider.

I don't remember a time when everyone was complaining games as a whole were too hard. I think it's the developers who just assume the masses can't figure out simple logic and patters.

There are a few painful quicklooks on this very site that supports that claim. (shadow of the colossus, Dantes inferno, etc)

I got no idea what a entry level gamers skills are anymore at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.