Item stat comparison question

#1 Posted by bakoomerang (85 posts) -

Way lttp here I know but the game was going for $39 at Walmart so I finally picked it up. Finished it on normal and now starting my first nightmare run.

Anyways I'v got a noob question regarding the stat comparison on items. Say I'm dual wielding 1 handed weapons, and then find a 2 handed weapon and the stats say that the damage on the 2 handed will be higher, is that compared to the combined damage of both my 1 handed weapons, or does it only compare it to the weapon in your main hand?

Seems like generally speaking 2 handed weapons have a higher base damage but slower attack rate than 1 handed, but then there are other things to consider like the extra damage bonus and dexterity buffs (I'm playing a monk) on the different weapons. I guess I'm just wondering how much of that the game takes into account when comparing total damage?

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The DPS number takes all that into account. You're never just comparing weapon-to-weapon, but weapons, stat modifiers, attack speed, etc.

If it makes your DPS stat go up, it's a better weapon usually.

#3 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

I don't remember how it works specifically, but just swap the 2-hander in and watch your dps stat in your character pane. That's the most fool proof way. It takes no more than a few seconds.

#4 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

I don't remember how it works specifically, but just swap the 2-hander in and watch your dps stat in your character pane. That's the most fool proof way. It takes no more than a few seconds.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8145 posts) -

Keep in mind that depending on the class/build you are, DPS may not be everything. A slower weapon with lower DPS but a higher damage per attack may be better than a faster weapon with higher DPS but a lower damage per attack.

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Keep in mind that depending on the class/build you are, DPS may not be everything. A slower weapon with lower DPS but a higher damage per attack may be better than a faster weapon with higher DPS but a lower damage per attack.

DPS exists (at least in part) so that you can easily compare a slower weapon to a faster one, so DPS actually is a key indicator. Thing is, you also have to consider stat modifiers that will boost attack as well as critical hit stats. There's a lot to keep track of, but that's part of the fun.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

@jjweatherman said:

@starvinggamer said:

DPS exists (at least in part) so that you can easily compare a slower weapon to a faster one, so DPS actually is a key indicator. Thing is, you also have to consider stat modifiers that will boost attack as well as critical hit stats. There's a lot to keep track of, but that's part of the fun.

He's right, though; if you were going with bell as your main source of damage, you'd want a slower 2H because it's going to hit way harder. Same idea for hammer on a barb.

Doesn't really matter until you hit 60, though. Just use whatever gives you a higher DPS until then.

#9 Posted by Griffinmills (148 posts) -

There are also skills like Rend that deliver their damage over a fixed period of time. A slower weapon with higher maximum damage works better here since reapplying a DoT doesn't make it do any more damage, it just refreshes it, rendering attack speed not nearly as attractive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.