Jay Wilson steps down as D3 game director!

• 67 results
#51 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

Holy shit 7 years to make this game ? I mean I know it's Blizzard and I enjoyed the game for the most part but...

#52 Posted by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

Well...Nothing can ever really 'fix' D3 for me. It's a horribly repetitive story focused ARPG. Every patch since has felt unambitious; it's all been balance changes and extraneous endgame nonsense tacked on...

That said, Path of Exile has since filled the void for me, so I'm able to play D3 with less...sadness. I have no idea what this means for D3 if anything at all really. Still I'm eager to see what happens next.

#53 Posted by darkdeus (15 posts) -

I think they got caught up trying to make the PVP perfect. They just should have had it at release and then patched it based on player feedback. I think this comic sums it up:

Jay Wilson's Failed PvP Ideas-

http://www.thebroctopus.com/comic/jay-wilsons-failed-pvp-ideas/

#54 Posted by Iron_Tool (215 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Yeah, that's a long time to work on a game. I look forward to his next project and the continued evolution of D3.

agreed

#55 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

• No socket quest
  • No imbue quest
  • No personalize item quest
  • No skill points
  • No assignable stat points
  • No diamonds, skulls or sapphire gems
  • No charms
  • No jewels
  • No more Cain
  • No identify all
  • No hostile system, no PK system, no killing bots, no ears; carebear PvP
  • No eight player co-op
  • No farming more than one act per run
  • No Hellforge, no forge runs
  • No rune drops
  • No runewords
  • No ethereal items
  • No hit recovery, block rate, cast rate, attack rating
  • No end game blue items
  • No ladder system, no ranking system in game
  • No PvP
  • No dclone/uber Diablo
  • No enemy immune/resistance system
  • No consequences for death, no corpse retrieval, no xp loss
  • No mercs in co-op or pvp
  • No creating public games
  • No reason to play public games
  • No torches, hellfire rings have no value
  • No good crafting, BOA crafts with no value
  • No shapeshifting
  • No running/walking system, no footsteps
  • No sense of randomly generated maps
  • No inventory tetris
  • No gambling, no Gheed
  • No good shopped items
  • No use for lower iLvL items at end game
  • No upgrade system
  • No LAN, no offline play, no mods allowed
  • No more than 3 sockets max
  • No use for white items
  • No horadric cube
  • No throwing items
  • No alternate weapon/shield slot
  • No cow level
  • No good music, no iconic tracks

No one is stopping you from playing D2 right?

#56 Posted by John1912 (1830 posts) -

I enjoyed D3 quite a bit. What finally made me quit was no new content. I wasnt getting any new items, but I was at a point where thats to be expected. D3 is a game that needs new content on a regular basis. I dont think you can get away with people grinding endlessly like they did with D2, but I guess I was never one of those people to begin with.

#57 Posted by Ares42 (2576 posts) -

@Artemesia said:

I don't understand the hate for Jay. I just haven't been paying attention I guess.

Game from a highly beloved from franchise and highly beloved developer not managing to live up to expectations or companies standards, and he was in charge of it. Not that hard to put the pieces together. You could always say that expectations were too high, but even if they weren't the game disappointed with things like no PvP, AH ruining core concept of the game and end-game being more or less broken at launch. D3 did in no way live up to Blizzards mantra of "ready when it's ready".

#58 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

@Slax: No, I'm just listing reasons while D3 is a piece of shit and why I haven't touched it in months.

#59 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: Sure, but what it looked like to me is that you just wanted it to be D2. If that is the game you want to play, go for it. I agree that D3 made some missteps, but people would've been just as pissed if it was just D2 again with shinier graphics.

To be on topic, I'm not saying that should excuse Mr. Jay Wilson, nor i'm excusing him from being a tool to the public. All I'm saying is that he was in a tough position, gave out a game that on it's own merits is pretty good, and people lambasted him for not making D2 again, but had he done that, people would've been mad that it wasn't worth the wait or it wasn't different enough etc.

#60 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

Blizzard boss tells Diablo 3 community to direct blame at him.

While Pardo is "very proud" of Diablo III, which scored a very respectable 8.5 from GameSpot last year, he quickly concedes that the team at Blizzard have plenty more to do with the game. "I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it."

"I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

#61 Posted by ajamafalous (11852 posts) -
@Slax said:

@familyphotoshoot: Sure, but what it looked like to me is that you just wanted it to be D2. If that is the game you want to play, go for it. I agree that D3 made some missteps, but people would've been just as pissed if it was just D2 again with shinier graphics.

To be on topic, I'm not saying that should excuse Mr. Jay Wilson, nor i'm excusing him from being a tool to the public. All I'm saying is that he was in a tough position, gave out a game that on it's own merits is pretty good, and people lambasted him for not making D2 again, but had he done that, people would've been mad that it wasn't worth the wait or it wasn't different enough etc.

I actually don't think that would've been the case at all (or, rather, the people who would've still been playing D3 today wouldn't have been upset). Maybe the people who played D2 once or twice or people who didn't play D2 at all would've been upset, but the core audience that's been playing D2 for the last twelve years would've been more than happy to continue playing an updated version of it. That's why the hell there was so much outrage to begin with.
#62 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Slax said:

I actually don't think that would've been the case at all (or, rather, the people who would've still been playing D3 today wouldn't have been upset). Maybe the people who played D2 once or twice or people who didn't play D2 at all would've been upset, but the core audience that's been playing D2 for the last twelve years would've been more than happy to continue playing an updated version of it. That's why the hell there was so much outrage to begin with.

And that's fair. At this point, there is really no way to know. I mean we can look at sales between Diablo 3 and something like Torchlight 2 (which in a lot of ways is just a updated D2) but I don't think that could truly prove anything as there are too many differences and variables involved.

I guess my point could be used more as an observation of gaming and it's industry in general. Consumers are always clamoring for innovation and new and revolutionary ideas, but when it happens, especially to beloved franchises, people easily turn on them saying they've lost sight of what their fans want etc. etc. I guess I can just see what a tight spot that could put companies in. But this is also not to say that companies cannot be held accountable for what products they put out.

#63 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

Jay Wilson now directing Warcraft 4 which will be released May 2015...

Oh God, I wish.

#64 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

@Slax: Whoa, hold up a sec. Are you saying that D3 was "innovative and new" in comparison to D2? D3 was a massive step backward and extremely simplified in terms of content and depth of game systems.

That's my main beef with the game. If Diablo II was a chemistry set, Diablo 3 was a tin of play-doh.

#65 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: No, no, that's not what I meant. At that point I was talking about the industry as a whole.

But on your point, innovative and new, does not make it good or bad. Your statement has assumed I was making a comment on game quality.

#66 Posted by yoshisaur (2648 posts) -

I thought Diablo III was a fantastic game - probably because I didn't go into it with negative feelings like 98% of it's player-base. It felt right in every way I needed, and I wasn't "hard-core" into Diablo II for me to see it's passive flaws. Just now in this thread have I become aware of some of the niche end-game content of Diablo II, which I would've avoided anyway to adventure in countless other games of my youth.

I'm not saying Blizzard is perfect, but most of the complaints feel a bit shallow and un-realistic.

#67 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Swiket said:

Fuck that loser.

The only correct response.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.