Kungen (former WoW pro) dies at level 60 HC -- painful to watch

#1 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4884 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44JrsycieRk

I can not imagine why someone would want to do this. He does not take it hard at all (I would be fucking irate) and he already has another level 60 hardcore character in inferno. Seriously, what is the appeal?

#2 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

For a second I thought this was about a real life tragedy.

Edit: I meant this in a mostly non-condescending way.

#3 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I would have probably just broke down in tears if that happened to me.

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

I think he knows it doesn't really matter in the end

#5 Posted by Lukeweizer (2608 posts) -

That's the best thing to do after losing an HC character, make another one. Erase the pain.

I think he wasn't looking at the game, so it was his own fault. Definitely had to laugh about it himself.

#6 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

At first I thought he died in the game so hard it killed him in real life.

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2576 posts) -

It's hardcore, it's expected. Also, his 60 monk died already too =)

#8 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

@TentPole: Skimming down the list of topics I thought that too at first!

This reminds me of a recent thread about another "pro" player, Athene, *accidentally* having a macro login script reveal his D3 password to all his viewers during a livestream. He ended up getting his account locked due to multiple login attempts afterwards and for a while once he got control back it *looked like* he lost his equipment but that ended up being a well-executed act that resulted in multiplying his viewers by two and almost three. Did good for his charity, though, so I can't blame him for taking advantage of that situation to pull such theatrics.

#9 Edited by emem (1961 posts) -
@EquitasInvictus said:

@TentPole: Skimming down the list of topics I thought that too at first!

This reminds me of a recent thread about another "pro" player, Athene, *accidentally* having a macro login script reveal his D3 password to all his viewers during a livestream. He ended up getting his account locked due to multiple login attempts afterwards and for a while once he got control back it *looked like* he lost his equipment but that ended up being a well-executed act that resulted in multiplying his viewers by two and almost three. Did good for his charity, though, so I can't blame him for taking advantage of that situation to pull such theatrics.

Well, the guy (Athene) is acting out everything and almost nothing's real... I watched a few of his videos years ago and decided that I'm not into that kind of nonsense. Pretending to be the best at everything, acting like he's the greatest WoW and now Diablo 3 player in the world, just because his viewers gave him tons of gold to buy all the best equipment, is just laughable. 

Kungen actually played with Athene for a few levels after his barbarian died (I happened to turn on the stream like 10-15-minutes before Kungen died, weird timing) and it was pretty obvious that the only reason Athene did it was to get more viewers... he spoke about his charity and how much work it all is for him (he said that over and over again, like he's the only one working). Don't get me wrong, giving money to people who need it is always great, but doing it to get attention... I guess it doesn't matter as long as they get the money... I still don't like it.
#10 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93: The appeal is the fact that there's something actually at risk, and there's actual achievement behind it. There's no better feeling in diablo than that adrenaline you get from a close brush with death as a HC player. SC, you die, shrug, and go back to throwing your corpse at an enemy til it dies.

When you play HC, you accept that your character is dead as soon as you make it. It's about the journey to get as far as you can with that character before it dies. You WILL die in HC, it is almost inevitable. Kripp made it even further than Kungen (A3 Hardcore Inferno) and died to a rough pack of Soul Rippers. At which point you go back to the character creation and roll up a new one. That's how it goes. If you rage when your HC character dies, it's not for you. HC players are actually often some of the most chill and relaxed people you'll meet, cause we have already accepted the consequences when we make our character.

The other appeal is that our economy is WAY better over in HC. Stuff is always cycling out of the economy, so the HC AH is really healthy. Especially at low to mid levels of play.

#11 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

This guy has lost at least 2 lvl 60 characters to HC. He's obviously got a lot of money or living with his parents.

I wish I had the kind of time required to even get my sad, inadequate Barb up to lvl 60.

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6333 posts) -

I never make permadeath characters in games with the expectation of keeping them. That's just begging for tragedy.

#13 Posted by Cameron (595 posts) -

That's a tough way to lose 175 hours.

#14 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

It was also him who prevented a second death by pausing the game and logging into another pc right?

That's just distasteful, ruins the entire point of Hardcore mode.

#15 Posted by Hunkulese (2646 posts) -
@Cameron

That's a tough way to lose 175 hours.

How did he lose 175 hours? Do they shoot out a memory erasing ray when you die in HC?
#16 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

That would be soul crushing to open the game window back up and see "YOU HAVE DIED".

#17 Posted by BasketSnake (1160 posts) -

I encountered that swede in alterac valley in WoW like six years ago. We were at the boss and he came in with something like six healers behind him and they just told us to heal him so he could "take care of this". I remember his shield was huge. It's dumb. We could all be just as "hard-core" as he is if we played 24/7.

#18 Posted by Arkasai (701 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93 said:

I can not imagine why someone would want to do this. He does not take it hard at all (I would be fucking irate) and he already has another level 60 hardcore character in inferno. Seriously, what is the appeal?

You get a better sense of danger, actual fear creeps in every time you get close to dying because you know hours and hours of effort will have been wasted. It's a pretty exciting way to play really.

#19 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93 said:

there are a couple videos of him dying on hardcore. he apparently treats it as part of the game which is fantastic.

#20 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

He handled it a lot better than that Athene guy. God that was pathetic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.