Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Legendaries are so bad :(

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cataphract1014

It is really my only complaint with the game right now.  I know inferno sucks but I don't mind having to farm to get some gear to do it.  A legendary dropping should be exciting and fun!  But then you see this.

177.8 DPS?  Really....
    177.8 DPS?  Really....
    DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DaemonBlack

Blizzard said they were going to buff the legendaries in the future, but I agree. They are a major letdown. I actually found the crossbow in your example, and obviously I was pretty disappointed.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Tolman

I can't even comprehend those kinda numbers from where I'm at in the game. Jesus.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

Yupp, welcome to the disappointment club!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Really?

That's funny, because for tank Barbs, Helm of Command/Justice Lantern/String of Ears/Stormshield is probably one of the most OP combos possible. That's four legendaries.

Soooooooo....yeah....

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By spazmaster666

Yeah, legendaries definitely suck in this game. However, some of the set items are pretty good so I guess that offsets it somewhat.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Adamsons

Some of the jewelry and armor is decent.

Weapons are the worst because they require multiple +damage rolls to even be usable, it's the same reason why there really isn't money in crafting weapons whilst you can make a ton from crafting armor.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @jakob187 said:

Really?

That's funny, because for tank Barbs, Helm of Command/Justice Lantern/String of Ears/Stormshield is probably one of the most OP combos possible. That's four legendaries.

Soooooooo....yeah....

There are some good ones, yea, but the majority of them are really bad.  Especially the weapons.
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stinky

177.8 looks like a legendary Normal mode.

there are going to bump up legendaries in a new patch though.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187

@Cataphract1014 said:

@jakob187 said:

Really?

Soooooooo....yeah....

There are some good ones, yea, but the majority of them are really bad. Especially the weapons.

The legendaries are sub-par. Not bad. They have ridiculously strong stats that can make a huge difference, but to off-set that, they have less DPS or some other random stuff.

I just got Bul-Katho's Sacred Charge to drop last night. 1-hander, has like 596 DPS on it, level 60. Obviously, this doesn't hold up against a 1k DPS 1-hand, right? Well, given that it has 67% crit damage and 17% attack speed on it, it actually CAN if you are using enough crit chance and crit damage to go alone with it. Plus, there is a 2-set bonus with another dual wield item called Bul-Katho's Tribal Guardian that gives you +100 strength...on top of the 100 something strength that the Tribal Guardian gives. Even without the second weapon, though, Sacred Charge is actually a GOOD weapon...but only if you are playing a specific type of spec.

Personally, once I got that to drop last night, I replaced my 927 DPS 1-hand with it just to fuck around in Inferno. Once I saw what I could do with it, I picked up some new gear with crit and crit damage while also remaining tank. Let me tell you a little something about hitting for 80k on a 1-hand tank Barbarian, sir. It's pretty fucked stupid, and I love every minute of it. Because of that lowered DPS weapon and making me rethink my build, I'm now progressing through Act 3 Inferno better than I was before.

Yes, Blizzard has said "we're buffing the Legendary items". That's fine. All good for them. That doesn't mean that the items are bad. It means that people are looking at raw stats against raw stats without realizing the PLETHORA of stats that are on any given Legendary item in most cases and how they can work with specific builds.

Then again, most of the 7 million+ that are playing this game are probably too hooked on big numbers and easy mode gear in WoW to actually use some thought process in making their characters. = /

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Yep, they're fucked up.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I'm only on Nightmare so to me those look super powerful!

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Grissefar

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Yep, their fucked up.

You should really take a look at your homophones, if you know what I mean.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187

@Metzo_Paino said:

I'm only on Nightmare so to me those look super powerful!

That's another thing to look at: many of the Legendary items are not level 60 items. In turn, that doesn't mean they are going to equal up to your big yellow 2-hand axe that is a level 60 item. Hell, the demon hunter bow you are showing is a level 56 item, and there are plenty of blues and yellows that I find which have the same amount of damage with far less stats attached.

It all comes down to iLVL as well as realizing that "Legendary" does not equal "best". It means that there is some special lore to the weapon itself.

I mean, hell...Legendaries aren't even the best-in-slot in WoW.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Grissefar said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Yep, their fucked up.

You should really take a look at your homophones, if you know what I mean.

You're a homophone!

Fixed.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By makari

Legendaries were never meant to be your best items. There are a handful of legendaries that are amazing, but for the most part perfect ilvl 63 rares will be better. It's like nobody ever played Diablo 2 before. They should have just called them 'uniques' again instead of legendaries to dispel common misconceptions that they're meant to be your best items.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By pr1mus

Items in general are pretty bad, legendaries just stand out more because they're so rare and shouldn't be called Legendaries but uniques as makari pointed out.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I just found the level 41 legendary 1h crossbow Deadeye and it's far better than the stuff I'm using. Of the 3 legendaries I've found so far it's the only good one.

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nonapod

I can understand their hesitance in making legendaries too good, but the 2 that I've gotten I wouldn't even classify as good (a laughable 300 DPS level 55 1 handed Axe for one). IMO legendaries should always be pretty good for their level and slot... not the very best possible necessarily, but good (otherwise there's no point in them). But the majority of legendaries I've seen on the AH are pretty sad.

Sporkbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sporkbane

The weapons are universally atrocious. That said, some of the legendary items for the other slots (Lacuni prowlers, Mempo of twilight, Tyrael's Might, etc.) are incredible.

The biggest advantage that legandaries and set pieces have over normal gear is that they can roll certain properties that rares can't (Tyrael's has movement speed on a chest, Tal Rasha's has attack speed on a chest, etc.) So sometimes if you really need a specific stat, legendaries can actually be pretty good.

Also, there's a mace that has 25% magic find on it, for when you get really rich and are just trolling around looking for ridiculous gear.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ExplodeMode

That's how Diablo 2 was. Uniques were really bad and rares were what you wanted at high levels. When they released the expansion they made nightmare and hell uniques and even later made crazy runewords. They might be saving that for whatever they put out next.

Maybe not hell uniques, I can't remember. Nightmare though, for sure.

shenstra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By shenstra

Uniques in Diablo 2 were generally rather good, often great and sometimes amazing. They often did things other items couldn't do. Uniques where pretty much the way to go until they started adding overpowered runewords. Most of the 'worthless' uniques that people didn't bother to pick up in Diablo 2 where actually very usable either at lower levels, or with the unusual builds. Same goes for set items. Sure, you could find rares that outclassed most uniques, but those rares where even more rare than uniques. In Diablo 3, legendaries are incredibly rare and almost universally weak compared to blues and yellows you pick up along the way.

I think it's related, at least to some degree, with the flattening of the skill system. Your skills no longer have levels, so there are no more items with +skills. This was often a way for unique items to stand out, with a beefy +4 to some skill or another. Or with combinations of prefixes and suffixes that just weren't possible on non-uniques. The whole game, from the skills to the classes to the enemies to the items, is more generic than Diablo 2. It just shows more in items than in other aspects because Diablo 2 was a loot-based game with lots of min-maxing possibilities, whereas Diablo 3 has boring loot and only two important numbers to max. It even tells you exactly how each item will impact those two numbers, which turns min-maxing into plain old maxing.

I still like Diablo 3, it's just kind of boring compared to Diablo 2 and yes, the legendaries are generally awful.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BrockNRolla

I'm in Hell difficulty and still have never seen a legendary. I'm positive that when I finally do find one, it will be a POS.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gamefreak9

@makari said:

Legendaries were never meant to be your best items. There are a handful of legendaries that are amazing, but for the most part perfect ilvl 63 rares will be better. It's like nobody ever played Diablo 2 before. They should have just called them 'uniques' again instead of legendaries to dispel common misconceptions that they're meant to be your best items.

legendaries were made to be the best. Which is why they will get buffed up to be vastly superior to rares.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By makari

@gamefreak9 said:

@makari said:

legendaries were made to be the best. Which is why they will get buffed up to be vastly superior to rares.

"On to items! One of the biggest pieces of feedback we’ve received regarding items is the relative power of Legendaries. This isn’t a simple issue to address, as it involves some intentional design decisions as well as expectations built by other games. First and foremost, Legendary items are not designed to necessarily be the best items in the game. They’re just one additional type of item as you level up, and they are not meant to be the primary items you’re chasing at the end-game. They can -- and should -- be exciting to find, but they’re not supposed to serve as the single driving force of the item hunt. Rare items, for example, have the possibility to roll up “perfect” stats that can, if you’re lucky, outpace the predetermined stats of a Legendary. That’s by design."

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6018173

Nope.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gamefreak9

@makari said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@makari said:

"On to items! One of the biggest pieces of feedback we’ve received regarding items is the relative power of Legendaries. This isn’t a simple issue to address, as it involves some intentional design decisions as well as expectations built by other games. First and foremost, Legendary items are not designed to necessarily be the best items in the game. They’re just one additional type of item as you level up, and they are not meant to be the primary items you’re chasing at the end-game. They can -- and should -- be exciting to find, but they’re not supposed to serve as the single driving force of the item hunt. Rare items, for example, have the possibility to roll up “perfect” stats that can, if you’re lucky, outpace the predetermined stats of a Legendary. That’s by design."

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6018173

Nope.

The best possible dice roll of a legendary is better than the best possible dice roll of a rare. So no even though you pasted that, legendaries are still the ones with the highest potential, of course they are not meant to be for everybody but they are meant to be the best items. Though they are obviously not happy with the rarity of these legendaries implying almost nobody uses them end game which is why they are buffing them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.