Making a Demon Hunter: Male or Female?

#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3387 posts) -

This might seem like a trivial thing, but ive been racking my brains deciding if I want my demon hunter to be male or female. In all the media pieces and videos of demon hunters we saw, it was always the female model, which would signify thats the model blizzard favors for it perhaps. However, I am a guy and want to feel like a bad ass arrow slinging deathbringer. I normaly dont have issue playing female character models in RPG kinds of games, but for whatever reason im having a hard time deciding in this game.

Do the male models look good in gear? because at first glance they look awkward a bit. What do you guys think?

thanks.

#2 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

I think the armor looks way cooler on the lady DH personally. And she looks exactly like Kate Beckinsale so thats an obvious plus.

#3 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

Female for sure on the demon hunter.

Too much leather man.

#4 Posted by TheHT (10281 posts) -

I've got a male DH, and the only thing I envy about female DHs are those crazy heels. They look pretty awesome.

#5 Posted by Raven_Sword (3387 posts) -

Right. is it abnormal for guys to play female character models though? does it break the immersion?

#6 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

Right. is it abnormal for guys to play female character models though? does it break the immersion?

No? But I don't look to place myself into a character.

I usually choose female characters when given the option but I quite liked the male Demon Hunter and chose him. Lady DH looks good too but I prefer the dude.

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

Female Demon Hunter is what I'm playing as now. She's not even "badass for a female" she's just fucking badass as shit. The guy looks far too much like the stereotypical goth-rock fan. Female Demon Hunter while dual-wielding crossbows is the way to go (could be because I have never found a 2h Crossbow that gave me more DPS than two 1h).

#8 Posted by Shirogane (3561 posts) -

I personally prefer the female DH, but the male one isn't so bad. Just name him Ezio and dye all your armor white.

Though my friend also pointed out that he looks like the Prince of Persia.

#9 Posted by triple07 (1193 posts) -

Currently I'm playing a female demon hunter and I think it looks a little better than the male version at least at early levels of gear. However her snark annoys me at times but that may just be her and the templar.

#10 Edited by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

What? Don't look at yourself as that character?

Just play it like an action game. It's not like an MMO really.

EDIT: Just make her a lesbian and pretend that's you if you were a girl in Diablo. Do it.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

@Raven_Sword said:

What? Don't look at yourself as that character?

Just play it like an action game. It's not like an MMO really.

EDIT: Just make her a lesbian and pretend that's you if you were a girl in Diablo. Do it.

Do it. Shit gets nice and steamy when you're alone with the Enchantress.

#12 Posted by VanillaPlant (136 posts) -

Heels on plate armor. What more reason would you need?

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Male has the better armor, female has the better voice.

#14 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -

the Voice actress is actually really good for the female. My DH is female and i couldn't think of playing the male one ever again.

#15 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I haven't played male Demon Hunter yet, but I have to agree that the female has a really awesome voice. The things she says (And how she says them) set the tone perfectly.

#16 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

Got to agree with everyone about the male having better armour and the female having the better voice. No matter how high the armour value of my equipment my female Demon Hunter always looks like a prostitute.

Her intro cinematic/origin story was interesting though (I imagine it's the same for the guy), it was the only one i've seen out of all the classes that actually added something to the character.

#17 Posted by Grillbar (1773 posts) -

i made a female DH since i really hated the way the male DH looked.

also made a female monk but kinda regret that since now i really think she looks like pink.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@valrog said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I haven't played male Demon Hunter yet, but I have to agree that the female has a really awesome voice. The things she says (And how she says them) set the tone perfectly.

Male sounds like he's trying real hard to sound dark and gruffy, the female just sounds like she's better than everyone else and she's out for vengeance.
#19 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

This is how I rolled my classes and I'm pretty happy. I could go either way with the Monk, but switching genders for any other class feels wrong.

• Demon Hunter: Female
  • Barbarian: Male
  • Wizard: Female
  • Monk: Female
  • Witch Doctor: Male

I think my favorite VO is the female Wizard. At first she comes off as cocky and arrogant but then as you completely destroy everything in your path, you realize that she's totally got the chops to back that attitude up.

#20 Edited by uniform (1830 posts) -

Female DH. No, I don't think the males look bad, it's just kind of obvious they made the female the primary, with the whole Kate thing going on, and the male the alternate. Also be sure to grab her the "Beckon Sail" chest armor, which with the right roll is best in slot.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (34611 posts) -

Are there stat bonuses/penalties for this type of shit?

#22 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@valrog said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Male sounds like he's trying real hard to sound dark and gruffy, the female just sounds like she's better than everyone else and she's out for vengeance.

I really like the confidence in her voice.

@uniform said:

Female DH. No, I don't think the males look bad, it's just kind of obvious they made the female the primary, with the whole Kate thing going on, and the male the alternate. Also be sure to grab her the "Beckon Sail" chest armor, which with the right roll is best in slot.

There's also an Achievement for Demon Hunters that is a reference to the Underworld if I am not mistaken. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I got it.

#23 Posted by pweidman (2215 posts) -

I'm playing a male DH and maybe he doesn't look as cool but I really like his VO. I played the female in the beta, and I thought her VO was meh. I do prefer him with a helm or hood though, lol. After you get to playing, either character is so fun and frantic that the choice will seem less relevant, unless the VO bugs ya imo.

#24 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -

Female DH though the idle animation on the character/quest select for her is always an odd look in the animation as she shifts her weight a bit on her back leg but the front leg is completely stationary.

#25 Posted by Robo (747 posts) -

Female. She's badass looking/sounding.

#26 Posted by Encephalon (1176 posts) -

Female has razor stilettos!

#27 Posted by Raven_Sword (3387 posts) -

Does the male look good in good armor? Still kinda iffy on playing female. . And I kinda play female in alot of these kinda games.

#28 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

Does the male look good in good armor? Still kinda iffy on playing female. . And I kinda play female in alot of these kinda games.

I'm sure some armor looks better on the male but the art book that comes with the CE makes it very clear that they designed the Demon Hunter with the female in mind.

#29 Posted by Raven_Sword (3387 posts) -

Yeah, I guess your right about the female bring the intended character model. Just wasn't sure if female looks good in gear or not.

#30 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

Yeah, I guess your right about the female bring the intended character model. Just wasn't sure if female looks good in gear or not.

Check out the thread where people posted their characters. Female looks very good in gear (Though for some reason I dislike most helmets, but that's just me and it happens to most games anyway). Also, you mentioned that you want to feel like a "bad ass arrow slinging deathbringer". Female won't disappoint you in that regard, at least I felt like that anyway.

Still, you could try out both if all else fails.

#31 Edited by Raven_Sword (3387 posts) -

Actualy, I've leveled both to level 10. My take away was that I don't like how the male has a hunch and slouches. His dual crossbow shooting mechanic seemed gunslinger like and I like his two handed crossbow firing animation better (female shoots from hip while make actualy looks down sights), at first I found the female voice rather condescending, but it's growing on me. Dudes voices sounds a tad emo. Guys face looks like the prince of Persia (or ezio, both had Nolan north involved somehow) females face looks like X23. I like most of the animations of the female more. The guy just seemed really langy, like his arms were too long. As far as how they look in gear, I really can't say because they're only level 10. But the dude looks dumb in low level gear. Again, my main worry is that the fact people are gonna call me "she" and "her" is gonna throw me off or something. And that the high level gear and other fear is gonba slut her up, which I don't want.

#32 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I don't know, I play alone so I don't have those problems. Also, high level gear from what I've seen doesn't look at all revealing.

#33 Posted by overnow (89 posts) -

So far I've rolled every character except a Barbarian. All of them have been male. The only one I kind of regret is the male Monk. I think female monks look substantially better after seeing some later screenshots.

#34 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

Late level DH gear isn't very revealing with the female.

#35 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

Male, his voice kicks ass.

#36 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

There's no point in picking a male, because the lack of Draculas to kill makes it impossible for me to pretend to be Van Helsing. That said, despite the lack of Draculas, I picked a male and called him Abraham Van Helsing anyway.

#37 Posted by Turambar (6484 posts) -

I really dislike the male DH's hair.

#38 Posted by Raven_Sword (3387 posts) -

I think I'll go with female then. I kinda really hate the males hunched look. And whenever I think of the class the female does come to mind first. I just hope she looks cool in better gear.

#39 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

Which type of ass do you prefer staring at for hours on end?

You're welcome.

#40 Posted by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

@Raven_Sword: Female, I don't know why, but it feels cooler to play as one when talking about Demon Hunter. It may have been the trailer, but the acrobatics and such just seem right for the female body type and personality.

#41 Posted by golguin (3655 posts) -

Always play a female when given the choice in these character creation type of games since it's a thing I'm going to be looking at for hours and hours and I want to look at something easy on the eyes. If its story related like Mass Effect I go with a guy and in my case it was default Shep. If the Witcher 2 gave a choice I still would have gone with Geralt.

I bought the game several hours ago and made a female DH and she's pretty great.

#42 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Which type of ass do you prefer staring at for hours on end?

You're welcome.

Why would I have to stare at the ass? Like a real pro, I keep my eyes on the target.

#43 Posted by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

I went with a male Hunter, but only so I could give him the name "S. Thompson"

I like to give my characters awful joke names.

#44 Posted by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

@golguin said:

Always play a female when given the choice in these character creation type of games since it's a thing I'm going to be looking at for hours and hours and I want to look at something easy on the eyes. If its story related like Mass Effect I go with a guy and in my case it was default Shep. If the Witcher 2 gave a choice I still would have gone with Geralt.

I bought the game several hours ago and made a female DH and she's pretty great.

I don't know, a lady Geralt (She-ralt?) could be pretty badass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.