My personal worst game of the year

  • 64 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@Galiant said:

@Example1013 said:

@Galiant: You don't have a clue what you're talking about if you think the AH was optional for Inferno. [...]

It's definitely optional because the possibility of grinding gear instead of buying it off the AH is still there. Unless your definition of optional is different from mine...the word "optional" has nothing to do with whether you like the alternatives that exist. If you're dying so much that you can't even repair then you'd go grind mobs that you could kill, repair with that gold and grind and gear up where you can without dying so much that you can't repair until you could eventually progress.

I mean I could also theoretically cut my finger off with a spoon if I want to spend a month there sawing at it, but it's so unrealistic to expect it, and there's an alternative so much faster that I'd consider that functionally equivalent to impossible, and so if I were going to talk about cutting my finger off, I'd say it's "not optional" that I need something sharper than a spoon to do it with, because I'm not a total asshat over semantics.

#52 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -
@Example1013

@Galiant said:

@Example1013 said:

@Galiant: You don't have a clue what you're talking about if you think the AH was optional for Inferno. [...]

It's definitely optional because the possibility of grinding gear instead of buying it off the AH is still there. Unless your definition of optional is different from mine...the word "optional" has nothing to do with whether you like the alternatives that exist. If you're dying so much that you can't even repair then you'd go grind mobs that you could kill, repair with that gold and grind and gear up where you can without dying so much that you can't repair until you could eventually progress.

I mean I could also theoretically cut my finger off with a spoon if I want to spend a month there sawing at it, but it's so unrealistic to expect it, and there's an alternative so much faster that I'd consider that functionally equivalent to impossible, and so if I were going to talk about cutting my finger off, I'd say it's "not optional" that I need something sharper than a spoon to do it with, because I'm not a total asshat over semantics.

It's optional. You might not like it, but it's nowhere near the level of your absurd analogy. You're actually playing the game, getting loot and growing more powerful, like you have been for the entire game. The curve is just a lot steeper, which is what they wanted to accomplish with Inferno. No AH necessary.
#53 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@Galiant said:

@Example1013

@Galiant said:

@Example1013 said:

@Galiant: You don't have a clue what you're talking about if you think the AH was optional for Inferno. [...]

It's definitely optional because the possibility of grinding gear instead of buying it off the AH is still there. Unless your definition of optional is different from mine...the word "optional" has nothing to do with whether you like the alternatives that exist. If you're dying so much that you can't even repair then you'd go grind mobs that you could kill, repair with that gold and grind and gear up where you can without dying so much that you can't repair until you could eventually progress.

I mean I could also theoretically cut my finger off with a spoon if I want to spend a month there sawing at it, but it's so unrealistic to expect it, and there's an alternative so much faster that I'd consider that functionally equivalent to impossible, and so if I were going to talk about cutting my finger off, I'd say it's "not optional" that I need something sharper than a spoon to do it with, because I'm not a total asshat over semantics.

It's optional. You might not like it, but it's nowhere near the level of your absurd analogy. You're actually playing the game, getting loot and growing more powerful, like you have been for the entire game. The curve is just a lot steeper, which is what they wanted to accomplish with Inferno. No AH necessary.

What D3 were you playing? Back in July/August Inferno was totally unbalanced. The only people who beat the game back then were CM wizards and DHs abusing overpowered mechanics, which they promptly nerfed into oblivion, except they didn't balance the difficulty back out. Also the drop rates were painfully low, and iirc a dev or something literally came out and said they did it on purpose to force people to use the AH. Also drop rates were even across all classes, so you had like a 75% chance that even if you got a decent item, it wasn't going to be for your class, again, to force you onto the AH. Complete solo was totally impossible because you could spend hours and hours farming and not get a single drop for your class that was actually an upgrade.

I heard the game has gotten a lot better since I last played (I quit like, right before 1.04 or whichever patch added the 100 new levels), but honestly I was so sick of putting up with the bullshit I had to deal with there that I don't want to touch the game again, even if it's totally different. I'm just done with it. Decent game, but wasn't worth the price I paid when I bought it. Maybe if it was like it is now on release I'd enjoy it enough to call it a worthwhile investment, but as it was when I last played, just not rly enough there to be worth $60.

#54 Posted by EXTomar (4738 posts) -

Although not quite topic related, and I should make this a blog, but a thing I've taken away from this year is how vindictive gamers can be where it feels worse than before. Threads like this and others show just how much hate one can hate when they feel let down.

#55 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

This topic has actually made me want to go back to Diablo III. I've had a long enough break from it (I quit no more than a month after release) and I keep hearing that it has improved significantly. Talk about a thread having the total opposite effect than what was intended.

#56 Posted by Superfriend (1555 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

That game gave me more entertainment than most other $60 games this year, even if the endgame wasn't enough to keep me playing through a 4th time. I can see you making a case for most disappointing game, but WORST game? You're insane, and your opinion is wrong.

Yep. Exactly.

People are too quick to throw around "worst game" these days. These guys should play some actual bad games, or maybe grow up- that would also be an option.

#57 Posted by zels (207 posts) -

@Conker: I agree with the sentiment but disagree with the reasons.

My biggest issue was that the story, conversations and characters were written by a bunch of chimps.

#58 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Galiant said:

@Example1013

@Galiant said:

@Example1013 said:

@Galiant: You don't have a clue what you're talking about if you think the AH was optional for Inferno. [...]

It's definitely optional because the possibility of grinding gear instead of buying it off the AH is still there. Unless your definition of optional is different from mine...the word "optional" has nothing to do with whether you like the alternatives that exist. If you're dying so much that you can't even repair then you'd go grind mobs that you could kill, repair with that gold and grind and gear up where you can without dying so much that you can't repair until you could eventually progress.

I mean I could also theoretically cut my finger off with a spoon if I want to spend a month there sawing at it, but it's so unrealistic to expect it, and there's an alternative so much faster that I'd consider that functionally equivalent to impossible, and so if I were going to talk about cutting my finger off, I'd say it's "not optional" that I need something sharper than a spoon to do it with, because I'm not a total asshat over semantics.

It's optional. You might not like it, but it's nowhere near the level of your absurd analogy. You're actually playing the game, getting loot and growing more powerful, like you have been for the entire game. The curve is just a lot steeper, which is what they wanted to accomplish with Inferno. No AH necessary.

At this rate, optional probably isn't the best word to use. Maybe optimal? Diablo III should be a stand-alone game, but D2 just casts too huge a shadow over it to not make comparisons. D2: Do Mephisto/Diablo/Baal runs for loot, trade what you get for other items you want.

D3: Run entire Acts fighting stupidly randomized monsters, praying they don't have some ungodly suffix combo, all for a chance at loot that probably has horrible stats, sell it(not trade for what you actually want) then use that money to maybe find something not craptacular for yourself; some hat with mostly Intelligence and less than 80 Strength perhaps.

I had fun playing Diablo III, but it was mostly because it was fresh with mechanics and environments. The loot definitely isn't the deciding factor for most people.

He is right, though. Blizzard's shitty security is a reason to hate Blizzard's shitty security, not one of their games you're trying to play. It's like saying "ewww, this milk is spoiled, I FUCKING HATE FROSTED FLAKES".

Their "security" options suck just as much balls for WoW, but that's not the reason I hate that game. But I disgress :P

#59 Posted by Sanity (1907 posts) -

Diablo 3 is great, and will be amazing after a expansion or 2. People just set there expectations too high.

#60 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

i feel like i got my moneys worth out of it. But after a few months im done with it. Where as diablo 2 i played for YEARS.

#61 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1065 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

i feel like i got my moneys worth out of it. But after a few months im done with it. Where as diablo 2 i played for YEARS.

FisHy feels the same way.

#62 Edited by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

That game gave me more entertainment than most other $60 games this year, even if the endgame wasn't enough to keep me playing through a 4th time. I can see you making a case for most disappointing game, but WORST game? You're insane, and your opinion is wrong.

I'm right behind ya brother. Word.

*fist bump*

@tunaburn said:

i feel like i got my moneys worth out of it. But after a few months im done with it. Where as diablo 2 i played for YEARS.

FisHy feels the same way.

I played Diablo 2 OFF & ON for years. (Level 93 Paladin woo!)

It would be impossible to play D3 for years, since it hasn't been out for one, but i get where you're coming from.

But you're an insane person if you think that game would have YEARS AND YEARS OF CONTENT in the first release, bat shit insane. D2 had the same amount of content in the first release as D3 minus the expansion. Also they've updated D3 quite a lot lately, to the point where i've clocked inferno with my monk, got to paragon 9 and working to get the hellfire ring. And now i'm working on my Witch doctor. It's typically a game you come back to, because they evolve over time.

/rant

(sorry if this came across as a personal attack, i'm sure you're wonderful).

#63 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11741 posts) -

If Diablo 3 is the worst game one has played this year then they live a very charmed life I would think.

#64 Posted by Carryboy (678 posts) -

I love Diablo 3, there I said it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.