No Reviews

#1 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

It looks like the review embargo must still be in effect because nobody has any reviews up, and I'm waiting on reviews before I consider buying it. That's kind of weird though, I thought it was standard practice to lift the embargo when the game was released, wasn't it? Unless maybe they didn't send out preview builds or something, or literally every critic is waiting to review the online or something.

If its the embargo thing, that's kind of worrying, I thought they usually would hold off on that if they thought reviews wouldn't be as good as they would like.

#2 Posted by MEATBALL (3498 posts) -

Just like Starcraft, reviewers didn't get their copy until release day.

#3 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

Blizzard didn't give early review copies, and since it's a long game you won't see much reviews now.

#4 Posted by Balex1908 (143 posts) -

I assume that the reviewers started playing/or not playing with everyone else.

#5 Posted by StingingVelvet (574 posts) -

Blizzard don't need reviews to sell games. They likely offered no review copies, so the press is just starting to play post-beta content today with the rest of people.

#6 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

ok, makes sense I thought it might have been that. Guess i'll wait then.

#7 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I deleted the duplicate topic. Just FYI.

#8 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

If you see any reviews, disregard them. Journo's got to play the game at the same time as we did. If there are any reviews for the next week or so, I suspect they didn't play it very thoroughly

#9 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

@BoG: thanks, I only posted it once so I have no idea why that happened.

#10 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

Why bother waiting for a review? It's a Blizzard game and no one is going to give it less than 90%.

If you want to know how the review will look just look up a SC2 review and switch every mention of Starcraft to Diablo. They maintained the feel of the older games but have improved in such and such ways and there's an absurd amount of polish.

#11 Posted by Rafaelfc (1467 posts) -

as others have said, it's Diablo it doesn't need a review. People who will buy it will buy it, everyone and their mother knows about this game (empirical evidence collected from some of my friends who aren't into gaming at all, but are like "oh Diablo 3 is out!!!")

and it's basically the same game as diablo 2 because blizzard is absurdly iterative to the point of insanity (while still making spellbinding games)

#12 Posted by ajamafalous (12162 posts) -

You know the game's servers just launched about 10 hours ago, right?

#13 Posted by NoRemnants (386 posts) -

@Rafaelfc: It plays a lot faster than D2 that is for sure.

#14 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

I bet IGN publish this week but yeah, credible writers will want to at least finish the single player.

#15 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

@Havox said:

@Rafaelfc: It plays a lot faster than D2 that is for sure.

Don't say that. My poor wrists!

#16 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

I am not nearly as big a fan of blizzard as most people seem to be, they aren't the same company that made Diablo I and II anymore, and although Starcraft 2 was great, and I enjoyed the single player, the big focus of that game (the MP) wasn't my thing at all. The only other recent blizzard property is WoW and I have no interest in that at all, so I am genuinely curious as to what reviews will say about this, and wether they will be unduly influenced by the fact that reviewers might be fans of blizzard/diablo. I mean I don't doubt it will be a good game, but is it what I want?

#17 Posted by NoRemnants (386 posts) -

@alternate: There is no "single player". There is one mode in D3, Co-Op. You can play by yourself but it's still the exact same mode.

#18 Posted by Octaslash (580 posts) -

@alternate said:

I bet IGN publish this week but yeah, credible writers will want to at least finish the single player.

I'm sure dedicated reviewers can squeeze in at least 70+ hours of game time this week.

#19 Posted by altairre (1285 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

Blizzard didn't give early review copies, and since it's a long game you won't see much reviews now.

Well, some crazy Asian guys played through it in six hours...

#20 Edited by IAmNotBatman (656 posts) -

Must mean that Blizzard didn't give out any review copies out until the game came out, which sound like something they would do.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if you need a review to tell you if you wanna get Diablo 3 or not then you're not very well informed; no offense.

#21 Posted by Sackmanjones (4762 posts) -

Maybe it's because of all the launch issues

#22 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

yea, based on that stream, it's hell of broken right now. Too bad you can't play offline, eh? Was anyone mad about that or is it old news now that blizzard does that and people only get made when someone else does?

#23 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

Why bother waiting for a review? It's a Blizzard game and no one is going to give it less than 90%. If you want to know how the review will look just look up a SC2 review and switch every mention of Starcraft to Diablo. They maintained the feel of the older games but have improved in such and such ways and there's an absurd amount of polish.

LOL. QFT.

#24 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

@Havox said:

@alternate: There is no "single player". There is one mode in D3, Co-Op. You can play by yourself but it's still the exact same mode.

Didn't know that. Is there no competitive or PvP or anything?

@Octaslash said:

@alternate said:

I'm sure dedicated reviewers can squeeze in at least 70+ hours of game time this week.

Sure, I doubt it is even that long - but there is a difference between playing it or a week and reflecting on how you are going to articulate the experience and barreling through the game to get your review out first.

IGN was just an example, they have some decent writers, but the pressure to get their review out first from the higher ups must be immense.

#25 Posted by mpgeist (643 posts) -

Blizz don't care about reviews, their games sell without them.

#26 Posted by kpaadet (413 posts) -

You cant put an embargo on games that are out on the market. Reviews just got their copy late.

#27 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

Some sites also claimed they would wait until PVP was up to do their review.

#28 Edited by jozzy (2035 posts) -

@IAmNotBatman said:

Must mean that Blizzard didn't give out any review copies out until the game came out, which sound like something they would do.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if you need a review to tell you if you wanna get Diablo 3 or not then you're not very well informed; no offense.

I am just curious what the critics think of this game. It will probably be expremely predictable: "Great game, clickety click all night, so much attention to detail, polished to the max, shame about the online issues in the beginning and always online requirement in general". But we might see some more interesting perspectives about the mechanics, or the story perhaps.

But I am even more interested in what people say about this game in a month, or maybe two. Does this game have the longivity of the previous Diablo's, what kind of balance issues come up.

#29 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

Well i would think many massive online games such as mmos and any sub genres that are similar will take a bit more time to properly review given that online level progression and community plays a big part in reviewing the game, and these games are designed to be 100 of hours spent playing.

#30 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Review:

It's Diablo III

5/5

#31 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

most reviewers got their copy 9pm PDT last night... so yeah there won't be any for a day or two.

#32 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

@alternate said:

Honesty IGN handles these type of reviews pretty well in my opinion. they do a review in progress in which they do a day to day feedback on how they are feeling the game as they are playing it. Then the final review/score comes out much later with the final verdict. In doing this it helps people on the fence who need to know now and giving the game a proper review without rushing it out the door.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.