Oh god! Blizzard can't write for crap!

• 62 results
#1 Posted by wreakOnes (42 posts) -

As much as I'm enjoying the game it'self, it all gets mulled every time I hear anyone speak, and I do mean anyone. The dialog is atrocious at best and I'm surprised people weren't screaming "UNCLE" on the last bomb cast. Starcraft 2 wasn't much better either, I seriously burst out laughing when I herd "my ship is terribly terribly damaged." I know you don't really play this game for the story but that doesn't mean the delivery couldn't be a million times better, not to mention if blizzard is supposed to be one of the greats, shouldn't we expect better? Why do we allow what seems like a free pass to blizzard when any other developer would get blasted with criticism for this kind of writing. Call of Duty games are considered to have bare bones, simplistic stories but even they have better writing and delivery than this.

#2 Posted by TheJappernaut (124 posts) -

I thought the story was ok... OPINIONS!

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5489 posts) -

I didn't really have a problem with it other than the over simplistic 'philosophical' discussion, but every game that tries to seem deep suffers from that problem.

#4 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

I only played the beta, but it was noticeably terrible there, as well. Especially the part where you had to kill the blacksmith's zombified wife. That was just hilariously awful. Of course, I can't speak to the rest of the game.

#5 Posted by IAmNotBatman (627 posts) -

Blizzard have never been great when it comes to writing really, just look at the games they've developed. I agree that they should definitely aim higher on that kind of stuff and people really aren't giving this game a free pass, users are massively bashing this game all over the internet.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Go apply for a job there then.

#7 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

I'm actually enjoying the terrible writing/voice acting. Ironically of course. Every time Deckard Cain speaks in those "lore" bits it just puts a big ol' smile on my face.

That being said, I see where your coming from. It's baffling to me that with the millions of dollars involved in making this, they still can't manage to deliver decent writing. Maybe that's the point and they are just trying to ham it up.

#8 Posted by wreakOnes (42 posts) -

I feel that the bashing may be coming from the extremely vocal minority and some things I have to agree with, such as you always having to be on line to even play this game. In terms of the press how ever it's been nothing but praise. Many site either don't mention the writing at all, even though people are speaking almost constantly and some sites like GT are even saying that the dialog helps the story because of it's punctual delivery or whatever.

I also feel that I should reiterate on the fact that I am enjoying the game in terms of it's combat systems and pacing but why blizzard isn't aiming higher than 4th grader fan fiction in it's writing in 2012 is beyond me.

#9 Posted by pweidman (2307 posts) -

Generally, I agree. Seems to be a style actually more than anything. Corny is their preferred presentation. That said, D3 is all about murdering the hordes, lvling, gear etc..

The lore available surprised me and I'm finding it good btw. And some of the Barbarian chatter and side comments w/the followers are pretty classic .

#10 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

The base story I find interesting enough but I agree its very thin on delivery.

I saw the twist coming from a mile away but liked it for what it was.

Regarding voice acting, the only character I find annoying is Leah, for me Cain is just a parody of himself.

#11 Edited by Bwast (1342 posts) -

That "terrible, terrible damage!" bit from SC2 was a reference to Dustin Browder. Before the game came out he and some other guy would cast 2 Blizzard balance designers playing and he'd constantly say that phrase. People on the internet did what they do best and made it into a meme. But yeah, Blizzard games have terrible, terrible writing(yep).. I don't mind cheesy shit. When it's trying to be painfully self-serious and cheesy at the same time, that's when I check out.

#12 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Free pass? Have you been on the internet since the launch of D3? It's not as bad as the Mass Effect hate was but it's pretty overblown.

#13 Posted by CrystaljDesign (148 posts) -

"My name is Lachdanan..."

#14 Posted by Milkman (16541 posts) -

I kind of just zone out whenever someone is talking.

#15 Posted by wreakOnes (42 posts) -

Maybe it's just the fact that the game has sky high quality in terms of it's visual design and presentation that it creates a huge disconnect for me. Even if the game is trying to be goofy on purpose it just doesn't come across like that.

#16 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

It's not even that it was bad per say, it was just so god damn NOTHING that it was worse than a simply bad game. It was just so bland, expected, been there done that, seen it, that it was just kind of boring. I liked act 3 though. But otherwise, yeah, it was so generic it got in the way for me, in a way even a bad story probably wouldn't have.

#17 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I know, I was a little disappointed by such a "serious" game. But, it gives it some charm (Especially the lore titbits from Abd al-Hazir).

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

This thread has an overly dramatic thread title.

#19 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Haha YEAH! I enjoy the hammy writing. I am playing as the demon hunter and he pretty much fits the role of brooding character that is tortured by his past perfectly.  The one liners in this game are hilarious.
I am waiting for Stallone to show up with a writing credit.

#20 Posted by Twinsun (468 posts) -

I don't think I've seen anyone celebrate the story or anything so I don't really get what your point is.

#21 Posted by SomeJerk (3159 posts) -

I've seen much worse in recent years, but they really have lost their good writer over the past ten years. Where are those people now? Many who left the video game industry (as writers) were disgusted by it in different ways and swear to never return, and  after seeing a hack of a writers self insertion fantasy character get put into ME3 I can't hold it against them.

#22 Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

The droves of people that play Diablo are like the droves of people that listen to Celine Dion or Lady Gaga or Mariah Carey. They are huge financial success stories. I liken these things to syrupy pancakes or cotton candy. They are tasty, but offer no sustenance.

#23 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

They may not have good writers, but they make up for it in gameplay and those CG cutscenes.

Those cutscenes are goddamn beautiful.

#24 Posted by willorn (1 posts) -

@wreakOnes: lol Definitely in agreement here. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so. I guess you just have to take into account the fact that a lot of simple, simple people play videogames man. And blizzard (and other companies) assume that more wordy or confusing dialogue would go over some people's heads and that we'll just put up with it. Just the kinds of games that are coming out more and more are evidence of that lol

#25 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

@wreakOnes: Blizzard has always been about ripping off Wizards of the Coast and Games Workshop stuff.

#26 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -

Chris Metzen.

#27 Posted by Nentisys (886 posts) -

Blizzard has had pretty bad writing in most of their games. Although the original starcraft and warcraft 3 I remember being solid.

#28 Posted by Hilikus (279 posts) -

Thought all of the side 'Lore' bits were better than the main story in terms of writing/delivery.

#29 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Yeah, the story elements of Blizzard games have pretty much always sucked, or at least aren't the draw. The gameplay is the most important thing and if they can throw in some story beats and some dialog along the way than that's cool too,

#30 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Yeah...well...Bethesda.

#31 Posted by The_Nubster (2053 posts) -

I'm on Act 3 right now. The story is interesting, and I want to see where it goes, but the writing is totally awful, you're not wrong. The bit where Zoltan Kulle comes back to life and gives a Shakespearian speech is cringeworthy, but hilariously overwrought. It`s endearing in a B-movie way.

#32 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

I bet you it's still worlds better than the writing in Dragon's Dogma.

#33 Posted by Brodehouse (9645 posts) -

Imagine this. The good guy turns bad and you fight them.

#34 Posted by tunaburn (1888 posts) -

diablo is like a cheesy horror movie. which i like.

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (9645 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming

Yeah...well...Bethesda.

Light ahmor means light on your feet. Smaht.
#36 Edited by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Yup. A mild surprise because I really enjoyed SCII's campaign, not necessarily for the actual words coming out of people's mouths, but rather the general story beats and presentation. D3 is surprisingly blah by comparison.

But loot.

#37 Posted by yoshisaur (2668 posts) -

For the love of god people, Blizzard lives to be corny and that's exactly what they have accomplished. Have you even listened to the banter from the enchantress?

Stop nit-picking and play the game. It's getting obvious now people are jus making duplicate posts of "problems" already been mentioned.

We get it, Blizzards a huge developer and theres no such thing as perfection. Shit like this reminds me of the people on YouTube who have to down vote a video solely because it's getting a lot of thumbs up.

#38 Posted by coaxmetal (1580 posts) -

Agreed, the writing is atrocious. I'm also surprised more people aren't talking about it. I mean nobody is going to the game for the writing, but god damn it's really bad.

#39 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

I'm at the beginning of act III and the only dialogue I've enjoyed so far is the jeweler's.

Maghda is horrible.

#40 Posted by Death_Burnout (3793 posts) -

Oh get you guys. At what point did all 'people on the internet who play games' become so discerning about the writing quality in video games? Seems like with every game that comes out nowadays there's always someone who says "Oh it's so poorly written!"

I get I am overreacting but more to the point, it's a Blizzard game, and it's campy.

@ck1nd said:

For the love of god people, Blizzard lives to be corny and that's exactly what they have accomplished. Have you even listened to the banter from the enchantress? Stop nit-picking and play the game.
#41 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I thought the story was okay at best but I really enjoyed the actual dialogue.

#42 Posted by GrandMarshal (387 posts) -

yeah its just LOTR

#43 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

The writing in most games are pretty damn bad. This game isn't focused on that aspect though. in fact, a lot of people who play this game probably won't hear any of it at all.

#44 Posted by SpoonieLuv (4 posts) -

@S0ndor: The part where you have to kill the blacksmith's wife stuck out to me, too, particularly the part where, less than a minute after killing his own wife, he goes all 'aw shucks' over his apprentice getting himself in trouble out in the wilds. I don't care about the writing, though. For me, it's all about just getting better and better gear.

#45 Edited by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

Blizzard could never really write for shit anyway so that's not news but this is the first game since maybe the first 2 warcrafts where the delivery of said crap writing is equally terrible.

#46 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

Blizzard could never really write for shit anyway so that's not news but this is the first game since maybe the first 2 warcrafts where the delivery of said crap writing is equally terrible.

I think you mean equally fantastic.

#47 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

I liked how Magda was a villain ripped right out of a Saturday morning cartoon, explaining absolutely everything she was doing and how she was going to foil the heroes' plans yet again! "Hehehe! While you were busy chasing around the sword, I managed to capture your friends and your little dog, too! Now the world shall be mine! Nothing can stop me now! Hehehe!"

#48 Posted by TheJappernaut (124 posts) -

@PixelPrinny: The way she looks reminded me of Rita Repulsa from the Power Rangers... Maybe that's just me though :).

#49 Posted by RedRavN (397 posts) -

If you watch the collectors edition DVD jay wilson (director) talks about how they originally wanted to bring deeper rpg aspects and dialogs into diablo 3. But they found through iteration that that stuff did not really work in the context of a diablo game. The game is too fast paced to allow for heavy exposition and character building. However, you can spend optional time talking to followers and npcs which helps round out the characters a bit.

However, I'm not a huge fan of the schlocky power rangers style writing even though thats always kind of been in the diablo series to some extent. I wish they would have gone for a more serious grimdark tone like in diablo 1. I feel like they nailed the writing style in that game.

#50 Posted by Draxyle (1797 posts) -

Some of the auxiliary lore and mercenary dialogue was actually pretty good. It's just they really aught to have cut out most of the villain dialogue entirely. They come across as bond villains rather than demons of hell. Diablo is really not a series that needed the "campy" treatment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.