PSA: Turn on Elective Mode

#1 Edited by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

I thought I'd spread the message from a fellow guildmate (Strength in Honour!) - credit goes to him.

A lot of people who didn't play beta (and even some who did.) don't realize this is a thing.

Elective Mode is very important. Go to the skill calculator here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#.

Notice how above each skill slot, it says Primary, Secondary, Defensive, Etc?

With EM off, which is the default, you can only assign those skills to those slots. Which cuts the number of possible builds available to you way way down. For example, with EM off, a Barb can't use both Bash and Cleave, if he were so inclined.

Turning EM on lets you put any skill anywhere (With some exceptions. They don't let you stick some skills on your LMB.), and lets come up with much more diverse builds. And just in general gives you more freedom.

I will never understand why Blizzard set it up this way. During beta, especially open beta, I saw a lot of complaints from people who didn't know the option existed.

Also, turn on Advanced Tool tips. Makes your tool tips actually tell you useful information. The default/simple tool tips in D3 are extremely basic (more than WoWs) and basically don't give you any numbers. That's bad.

So, now you know. (And knowing is half the battle.)

TL;DR: Turning elective mode on lets you place any skill anywhere by removing the skill categories on the hotbar. This allows you to make any build you want.

#2 Posted by Marz (5676 posts) -

good to know.

#3 Posted by MikkaQ (10346 posts) -

Nice tip, thanks.

#4 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1332 posts) -

thank you sir

#5 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Word. Thanks, dude

#6 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

#7 Posted by Solidsnak (143 posts) -

yeah that made the beta way more interesting

#8 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

Thanks. I really had no idea about this.

#9 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Why would they do this?

#10 Posted by SgtSphynx (1622 posts) -

I was wondering if there was someway to do that, nice to know about this. Grazie

#11 Edited by Henny (107 posts) -

@TentPole: They did this so that they can expand their market segment to non-gamers and non-core gamers market i.e. your grandmothers and hippy aunts.

#12 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@Henny: ...but isn't the greatest potential market for Diablo III all the people that enjoyed Diablo I/II way back in the day? Seems strange.

Anyway, thanks OP for bringing this up.

#13 Posted by JustTheThreeOfUs (7 posts) -

Thank you very much! Its a shame that this isn't on by default but I'm glad they included it.

#14 Posted by Henny (107 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie: Those people are confirmed purchases. Blizzard is very good at balancing risk versus rewards. In this case, risk alienating the old school players by a little for an avalanche of new fans who will get hook on the digital morphine that is Diablo.

#15 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

True story: I played all weekend on the open beta, looked at the options multiple times, and didn't notice this.

Thanks OP!

#16 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

@Henny: ...but isn't the greatest potential market for Diablo III all the people that enjoyed Diablo I/II way back in the day? Seems strange.

That is the greatest potential market, but that market is probably about a 75% guaranteed buy while outside of that market is probably a very very small guaranteed buy.

(I pulled the 75 out of my ass. It is just an example, I wouldn't be surprised if it was way off.)

#17 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

Tell your friends, I had to tell a bunch of people who didn't know.

#18 Posted by theuselessgod (263 posts) -

Wow, you just made this game a billion times better. Thanks!

#19 Posted by BBAlpert (1613 posts) -

On a similar note, a lot of my other problems with the game revolving around the lack of specific numbers and stats could also be fixed with various optional settings. I have only played the beta, so maybe this has changed in the final release, but I really didn't like the way the game defined skills with ambiguous or subjective descriptions like "does light damage" or "slightly increased damage" as opposed to "does 16% weapon damage" or "adds 5 fire damage."

I was a lot happier with the game once it started giving me real numbers.

#20 Posted by Redhorn (211 posts) -

What a bizarre thing to put in. Thanks for the heads up, I never would have guessed.

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

On a similar note, a lot of my other problems with the game revolving around the lack of specific numbers and stats could also be fixed with various optional settings. I have only played the beta, so maybe this has changed in the final release, but I really didn't like the way the game defined skills with ambiguous or subjective descriptions like "does light damage" or "slightly increased damage" as opposed to "does 16% weapon damage" or "adds 5 fire damage."

I was a lot happier with the game once it started giving me real numbers.

That's another option that they hid. If you hold Control and mouse over the skills, it gives a more number-y readout. There's an check box buried somewhere to toggle that on all the time, as well.

#22 Posted by Mnemoidian (994 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

If I'm missing sarcasm, I apologize for explaining the obvious and being humorless.

Otherwise:

The amount of people who are playing games have exploded in the last 12 years (since Diablo 2 was released in 2000). It's inevitable that there are a lot more potential customers who have never played a Diablo game before, compared to those who have: which is why "simplified" is the default.

I haven't put any thought or effort into character builds (yet?), but I expect that it's a lot harder to make a build that is straight up broken as long as you keep elective mode to off, while obviously, the potential for greatness is potentially (but not guaranteed) greater with it set to on.

#23 Posted by BBAlpert (1613 posts) -

I didn't really understand the reasoning behind making elective mode an off-by-default setting until I was watching the stream yesterday where Brad was playing D2. The instant he put points into his stats and skills, the chat exploded with talk of "oh God, he ruined the character. He should start over because he wasted those points." The default non-elective mode helps give a bit of structure for your build if you don't have something already in mind. If nothing else, it at least introduces newer players to the concept of specializing by skill types (a primary attack, secondary attack, and a few supports) as opposed to spreading your points among mutually exclusive skills (like weapon masteries or auras).

Granted, this issue is also already fixed by the ability to respec whenever you want, but I see why they'd go that extra step.

#24 Posted by Veektarius (5064 posts) -

I suppose more flexibility is always better, but I think that the way skills are split up so far (I'm only level 12) is very logical. One free attack, one 'mana' attack, one utility skill, one movement skill... that's really as far as I've gotten.

#25 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Thanks for the PSA.

#26 Posted by The_Nubster (2387 posts) -

Give me options or give me death!

Thanks for this, and also it's nice that you didn't shit your pants with anger and then go give a 0 on Metacritic.

#27 Edited by Addfwyn (1952 posts) -

The option being off as default makes sense, as people have said. For the people who the system is good for, it's another safeguard from you just making a totally broken build. For the diehard diablo fans who want to tinker with minutia, they should have no problem finding the option and clicking it. That could be me though, the first thing I do in every game is look through the options and tweak stuff around.

Oh yeah, and Advanced Tooltips. Those are the other thing you'd want to turn on. Though again, for the players that just want to know 'this hits hard, this hits weak' it's perfectly fine. For the players who may just go through normal and call it quits, you probably never need to worry about these things.

#28 Posted by Subjugation (4753 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up man. I didn't know about this feature, and I can tell already that it will make a big difference.

This PSA was brought to you by a kind, informed duder. Thanks duder.

#29 Posted by Ares42 (2814 posts) -

Might also want to add that turning advanced tooltips on (the box above) is pretty damn essential for comparing skills. Was quite surprised at how little information the skills gave you before I discovered that one.

#30 Posted by Scrawnto (2471 posts) -

Good on ya, mate. Everyone must know!

#31 Posted by Oni (2115 posts) -

Bump because everyone should know this. The build I currently use on my Barbarian tears through everything, doesn't die and is very unorthodox, at least I think: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WQXYVR!Zcd!aaaZZZ

No fury-spending, three defensive abilities and two AOE's with cooldown. But my god does it work!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.