Putting in hours to Diablo 3 - Public Games and Auction House

Posted by mufujifi (49 posts) -

(I should mention that in all honesty, Diablo III is the first Diablo game I've sunk a lot of hours and commitment to. I've never gotten past the Butcher in D1 because I always release him without any prior strategy or leveling up for him, and I simply skipped D2 because when it was all the rage, I wasn't interested in PC gaming. I'm still not much of a PC gamer now anyway.

Without any expectations from this latest title, I managed to really enjoy everything the game has to offer. I'm impressed at how addictive it can be, which I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing.)

Public games; definitely chaotic but fun

I haven't been doing much but play Diablo III daily and recently, I've taken a liking to joining a public game to get through my Acts. Despite the insane amount of Elites, it wasn't all that hard. I was surprised that a bunch of strangers who don't communicate with each other managed to get through the end with minimal effort, but when I played with a friend, we were easily decimated (lol, you know who you are). I had just finished defeating Diablo on Hell difficulty and of course, maxed out my level to 60. I'm definitely hopping back on to play through Inferno as soon as I'm done with this post.

Something else I've been looking into is the Auction House. Unless you can be bothered with crafting, you won't be getting good gear without getting them off the AH (I'm assuming). I find that good loot is insanely rare on Hell and that forced me to spend thousands of Gold to constantly update my gear. I'm trying to raise my monk's DPS, who is currently sitting at 8607.8 DPS, and I can definitely do better than this... provided I raise enough funds for it of course. I did manage to sell off a bunch of my own stuff but honestly, I'm not too bothered with how much I'm getting. I kinda hate looking at my stash of unusable loot so I might just sell them all off at some low price.

Has anyone used the Real Money Auction House before and sold anything? I can't wrap my head around spending more money to buy virtual items. I just had a quick look at it and really? US$250 buyout? Would people pay that much and... why...?

Are you kidding me?

Currently I've put in 97 hours over 3 classes, which is the most I've clocked in any gaming title. That's seriously impressive, but I'm sure there are others who have already spent over a hundred hours am I right? Although at this point, I'm wondering if you're still playing because the game is enjoyable for you or because it's just routine. Something being addictive doesn't always mean a good thing. So what is it for you?

EDIT:

Hurrah! 11410.25 DPS at the moment.

#1 Posted by mufujifi (49 posts) -

(I should mention that in all honesty, Diablo III is the first Diablo game I've sunk a lot of hours and commitment to. I've never gotten past the Butcher in D1 because I always release him without any prior strategy or leveling up for him, and I simply skipped D2 because when it was all the rage, I wasn't interested in PC gaming. I'm still not much of a PC gamer now anyway.

Without any expectations from this latest title, I managed to really enjoy everything the game has to offer. I'm impressed at how addictive it can be, which I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing.)

Public games; definitely chaotic but fun

I haven't been doing much but play Diablo III daily and recently, I've taken a liking to joining a public game to get through my Acts. Despite the insane amount of Elites, it wasn't all that hard. I was surprised that a bunch of strangers who don't communicate with each other managed to get through the end with minimal effort, but when I played with a friend, we were easily decimated (lol, you know who you are). I had just finished defeating Diablo on Hell difficulty and of course, maxed out my level to 60. I'm definitely hopping back on to play through Inferno as soon as I'm done with this post.

Something else I've been looking into is the Auction House. Unless you can be bothered with crafting, you won't be getting good gear without getting them off the AH (I'm assuming). I find that good loot is insanely rare on Hell and that forced me to spend thousands of Gold to constantly update my gear. I'm trying to raise my monk's DPS, who is currently sitting at 8607.8 DPS, and I can definitely do better than this... provided I raise enough funds for it of course. I did manage to sell off a bunch of my own stuff but honestly, I'm not too bothered with how much I'm getting. I kinda hate looking at my stash of unusable loot so I might just sell them all off at some low price.

Has anyone used the Real Money Auction House before and sold anything? I can't wrap my head around spending more money to buy virtual items. I just had a quick look at it and really? US$250 buyout? Would people pay that much and... why...?

Are you kidding me?

Currently I've put in 97 hours over 3 classes, which is the most I've clocked in any gaming title. That's seriously impressive, but I'm sure there are others who have already spent over a hundred hours am I right? Although at this point, I'm wondering if you're still playing because the game is enjoyable for you or because it's just routine. Something being addictive doesn't always mean a good thing. So what is it for you?

EDIT:

Hurrah! 11410.25 DPS at the moment.

#2 Posted by pweidman (2215 posts) -

Yeah, D3 is a ton of fun, and pretty damn addictive no doubt. I'm well over 100 hrs...don't wanna know really, lol. Be ready for a sharp difference in inferno mode. And Blizz is going out of their way to make it even more challenging, and the worst part is they want everyone to be AH dependent to progress. It's a huge controversy after the 1.03 patch. My 60 DH got quite the nerf and farming endlessly just isn't enough to keep me going, so I'm lvling other characters, WD lately. Heh it's fun again, but I'm burning out overall. Starting to go back to my 360 and finish some games. Deus Ex: HR specifically...that game's pretty damn good btw, and really looking forward to the DLC I bought so long ago.

Since you're pretty new here, there's a thread full of battle.net gametags to add if you need/want friends from GB to play co-op with. I'm in there somewhere, add me if you want. :)

#3 Posted by mufujifi (49 posts) -

@pweidman: Oh wow. I did join a game in Inferno mode with full players and fire chain, desecrator and plagued? Died within seconds. The challenge is fun though, until I get to the point of becoming broke repairing my items. I made a WD recently, just for a casual solo run, and a Wizard to co-op with a friend. I need to get used to using classes that don't go into the thick of battle. I did see the ID thread and will look at it soon enough, thanks!

I've neglected my consoles ever since getting D3, which is bad since I have so many games unplayed and still awaiting some online orders. :\

#4 Posted by Raven10 (1598 posts) -

My brother had put in 100 hours in the first week or two so, yea, there are people well over 100 hours. I'm sure you can get good loot if you just play a really long time. But then what person with a job and a life beyond Diablo has the time to do that?

#5 Posted by mufujifi (49 posts) -

@Raven10: Uhm. I'm not sure if I should admit that lately I've been playing in the office while on the clock. Not that I have any actual work at the moment mind you, but it's all the same. Are you interested in trying out D3 for yourself?

#6 Posted by The_Tolman (424 posts) -

Diablo is a video game, one I happen to enjoy a lot.

#7 Posted by koleaidify (7 posts) -

I don't have a computer that can handle Diablo 3, but what I've seen of it looks pretty rad. I'm just a little confused about the live money auction house stuff and people getting actual cash for stuff in the game.

#8 Posted by Raven10 (1598 posts) -

@mufujifi: No not really. I was never a fan of Blizzard games. I appreciate their genius of course, but they just aren't something I enjoy. Besides my brother plays them non-stop so I get plenty of exposure to them.

#9 Posted by mufujifi (49 posts) -

@koleaidify: I'm surprised my laptop can handle the game, so now I can play both at home and at work. As for the RMAH, I know, I still can't believe people would pay so much for in-game gears. I did however still set it up so I can receive funds if I so choose to sell for real money. Glad I bothered to set up a PayPal account back then.

#10 Posted by GunnyHath (19 posts) -

You can find top end gear by drops, but I'm sure Bliz has balanced it so that it's exceedingly rare; forcing you to buy on the AH, whether real or in game funds. Many people will see their weeks of grinding as more valuable than $250. Think how many hours it takes to make $250, and how many hours it would take to find an item of that quality potentially? I personally would never spend money on in game items, but I would feel the draw to. If it came to the point where I had to to progress, I would change characters or quit playing.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@mufujifi said:

I find that good loot is insanely rare on Hell

Good loot (IE: level 61+ gear) doesn't start dropping with any regularity until Acts II and III of Inferno. You can still find the same gear in the last Act of Hell or Act I of Inferno, but the drop chances are infinitesimal and very low, respectively.

Personally, my DPS is pretty good but my survivability as a Wizard is terrible, so I've been farming Act I of Inferno in a group. If you run through the majority of the Act looking for elites, you've got a decent shot at a few good drops thanks to elite packs now dropping at least 1 piece of rare gear when you're at five stacks of Nephalim Valor.

#12 Posted by gamefreak9 (2327 posts) -

This hype about AH being expensive is a lot of BULL I think that if you play like an hour a day(which you can structure your sessions to be that long) for a week, then its enough to buy 1 item thats good for act 3 infern. Its really not that serious, though there are idiots out there who waste millions on single items for only marginal differences.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.