Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Scrubs ASK Vets ANSWER

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I'm a Diablo 3 scrub and know little about it, other than that I'll play a Demon Hunter come May 15th. After playing the Open Beta for a bit, I'm still full of questions. I'll just go ahead and ask one.

Q: Can higher lvl characters apply more than one rune to any given skill?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By alanm26v5

@Seppli said:

Q: Can higher lvl characters apply more than one rune to any given skill?

A: Nope

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Good thread, I think have a few questions of my own.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By xxNBxx

@AhmadMetallic: Ask away, I know just about as much as anyone can outside of the dev team.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By StarvingGamer

@xxNBxx: Marked for Death (Mortal Enemy) gives the DH 3 Hatred for every attack against the marked target. Rapid Fire shoots many arrows per second. Do I get 3 Hatred for every arrow fired, effectively giving me infinite/near infinite Hatred?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli

Q: Does difficulty scale with number of players, or are higher difficulty settings intended for coop play?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alanm26v5

@Seppli said:

Q: Does difficulty scale with number of players, or are higher difficulty settings intended for coop play?

A: It scales based on the number of players, and adjusts as people join/leave.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli

@StarvingGamer said:

@xxNBxx: Marked for Death (Mortal Enemy) gives the DH 3 Hatred for every attack against the marked target. Rapid Fire shoots many arrows per second. Do I get 3 Hatred for every arrow fired, effectively giving me infinite/near infinite Hatred?

'Marked for Death' wasn't in the beta, so it's hard to tell definitely. Rapid Fire counts as one attack, as long as you keep the button down though. I got a 'killed 20 guys with one attack' message and bonus XP, if I remember correctly. Conjecture - all I got to offer on this one.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Brother_PipPop

@Seppli said:

Difficulty does scale with more players. But it also increases depending on the amount of players you have in your game. It changes as you add/drop players so if you start of the game on the hardest difficulty then two players join it will get harder, if one player drops it will be a bit less hard yet still harder then if you were alone...I think.

Also all difficulties can be finished alone though obviously it will be tough.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By mesklinite

Q: I thought monks could only use fist weapons. I tried and can use other weapons as well. Does using a sword negatively affect skills? Are fist weapons better? Are some skills only for fist weapons?

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Adamsons

@Mesklinite said:

Q: I thought monks could only use fist weapons. I tried and can use other weapons as well. Does using a sword negatively affect skills? Are fist weapons better? Are some skills only for fist weapons?

Monks can use most martial weapons with a few limitations on 2h weapons.

Class specific weapons such as fists and daibos can have monk specific attributes on them such as spirit regen etc.

Also in later difficulties you can get +skill affixes, such as a fist with +5% damage on lashing tail kick, these may possible be on monk only weapons.

Edit - also to expand on this, there are monk only hat items called spirit stones, which arent in the beta. These will likely also have monk only attributes such as skill affixes and passive spirit regen / larger spirit pool.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FoolishChaos

@StarvingGamer said:

If I had to guess, I would say that Rapid Fire counts as An attack every time it drains Hatred. So every 10 hatred you would get 3 back, essentially

@Mesklinite said:

Nope, no reason to not use non-fist weapons, though Fist/staff weapons are generally preferred if you can get them because they can have monk specific bonuses on them.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mesklinite

@FoolishChaos: @Adamsons: That explains why I hated the monk for 3/4 of my run. I kept using the 3dmg fist weapon. lol

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By gamefreak9

@Adamsons said:

@Mesklinite said:

Monks can use most martial weapons with a few limitations on 2h weapons.

Class specific weapons such as fists and daibos can have monk specific attributes on them such as spirit regen etc.

Also in later difficulties you can get +skill affixes, such as a fist with +5% damage on lashing tail kick, these may possible be on monk only weapons.

also monks can use daibo which are partly a class item, these make their abilities stronger because they have a higher damage, to which you have the similar exchange to the barb dual wield vs 2 handed. Stronger but fewer skills(due to less rage/spirit generation) or more skills and faster attack speed.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Q: Why would you use the word scrub? It's as terrible as say newb/n00b/nub

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alanm26v5

@Mesklinite said:

Short A: All damage is based on weapon DPS, regardless of type. So a wizard can upgrade from a 3.0 DPS wand to a 5.6 DPS axe and their skills will do more damage. So as you're finding better weapons, take what has higher damage and bonuses you like.

Complicated A: I'm still not completely sure how this plays out but since your attack speed is tied to weapon speed it may be better to use a slightly lower dps fast weapon if you use a spammable attack to generate your primary resource, for example. I'm guessing also as better items show up that are class specific (like only monks can use knuckles), those will be better suited speed and bonuswise to that class.

This is sort of related to the only part that still confuses me even after figuring out the above, which is how DPS is calculated using a 2 handed weapon vs a 1 handed and shield, or dual wielding. I know it says weapons get a penalty if they're not close in power but in beta with everything similar in level it takes me some trial and error to get the best combination when something new drops and it's not always intuitive to me.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Adamsons

@alanm26v5 said:

This is sort of related to the only part that still confuses me even after figuring out the above, which is how DPS is calculated using a 2 handed weapon vs a 1 handed and shield, or dual wielding. I know it says weapons get a penalty if they're not close in power but in beta with everything similar in level it takes me some trial and error to get the best combination when something new drops and it's not always intuitive to me.

A summary of dual wielding is essentially, you get a 15% attack speed boost and then you attack with alternating weapons, this can be confusing because using a strong main hand and a weak offhand can actually REDUCE your damage.

An example of this is - a monk 3 hit combo dual wielding will go: Main hand strike - offhand - mainhand. The attacks alternate.

Where it gets kind of messy is that you can freely switch weapons in combat, so it is totally possible to gen spirit dual wielding, switch to a high damage 2h weapon and dump your spirit then switch back. But it is awkward.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By alanm26v5

Oh ok, so if I have 12.1 and 11.4 DPS dual swords and a higher dps 2 handed weapon drops, it has to be higher than 1.15x the average, so about 13.5 DPS, to be better if I'm understanding correctly. Maybe it's just a problem at low levels since eventually you won't be swapping crummy weapons around so often.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheKramer89

Q: Why didn't you use a comma in the thread title?

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By samfo

Is there any purpose in the witch doctor holding a weapon?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Imma bookmark this page for May 15th.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FoolishChaos

@SamFo said:

Is there any purpose in the witch doctor holding a weapon?

yeah, your weapon determines your spell damage

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cronus42

@SamFo:

Even though it doesn't say it in game, all skills do damage based on your equipped weapons. Check out the website for skill stuff, it gives actual percentages for damage and the like.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By samfo

@Cronus42: @FoolishChaos:

Thanks guys. That certainly makes the game seem alot deeper and also explains why there is no 'melee'

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By StarvingGamer

Can a Monk equip a shield? I am out eating dinner so it's easier to ask here than try and look it up lol.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By rjayb89

@StarvingGamer: Yes.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Q: Why is a sitcom about medical doctors asking veterinarians questions anyway?

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By xxNBxx

@StarvingGamer said:

@StarvingGamer: Mark for death was in the beta at one point but that was before they added the runes to the beta. It could be possible to get hatred back from using the skill if your attack speed is 2 attacks per sec and you have the Rapid Fire rune Withering Fire (cost per sec for use of rapid fire is reduced to 5) So to make up the initial cost (20 hatrad) you will have to stand still for 20 sec. Something your not going to get to do too much of. On top of that what ever your cast Mark for death on is either going to be dead before that 20 seconds or have moved forcing you to have to stop anyways.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mesklinite

Q: Is a skill with no rune just as good, but different then a skill with a rune? For example, the Demon Hunter's first skill, the arrow that you shoot, it's first rune makes it more peircing. Without a rune does it do something else different? Or is the runeless version of a skill always the weakest?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ravenlight

@Mesklinite said:

Q: Is a skill with no rune just as good, but different then a skill with a rune? For example, the Demon Hunter's first skill, the arrow that you shoot, it's first rune makes it more peircing. Without a rune does it do something else different? Or is the runeless version of a skill always the weakest?

It seems like the un-runed version will generally be the weakest. There may be some exceptions where a rune completely changes how a skill functions.

With the example of the DH skill Hungering Arrow, it has a 35% chance to pierce by default but with the first rune, that chance is raised to 50%.

Check out this page for more rune-y goodness: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Adamsons

@Mesklinite said:

Always worse, the runes modify the skills and the modification is always greater than the original skill, though sometimes it is functionally a little different.

The runes are in most cases pretty balanced, though some skills have stand-out runes.

@alanm26v5 said:

Oh ok, so if I have 12.1 and 11.4 DPS dual swords and a higher dps 2 handed weapon drops, it has to be higher than 1.15x the average, so about 13.5 DPS, to be better if I'm understanding correctly. Maybe it's just a problem at low levels since eventually you won't be swapping crummy weapons around so often.

Yeah thats right, but there are other considerations with dual wielding, i.e. for the monk it is a tradeoff of faster spirit generation from the increased attack speed against the loss of damage on spirit spending moves - e.g lashing tail kick does 200% of your main hand damage vs 200% of your 2h weapon damage. When dual wielding, spirit spenders will cast faster but cause less damage per point of spirit spent.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrMuscle

My question is a bit unusual. Im playing on my tv and the font size in the chat is a bit on the small side for me to be able to read it without squinting. Is there any way to change the font? I couldnt find it myself.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ravenlight

@MrMuscle said:

My question is a bit unusual. Im playing on my tv and the font size in the chat is a bit on the small side for me to be able to read it without squinting. Is there any way to change the font? I couldnt find it myself.

IIRC, this has been a feature requested by people since the beta began but has yet to make it into the game.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Panpipe

Is there anything I should do in the final 4 minutes?

Edit; Awww, it's over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Why do scrubs get no love from TLC?  Is it because scrubs are always chasing waterfalls?

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sjupp

@Adamsons: Man the Wave of Light ability looks so awesome but It was extremely underwhelming in the beta. (I was dual wielding 15 dps + 13 dps 1h's) at lv 12 (Only played during open beta). I did not dig deep into it but 75 spirit for 215% + 15% vs 30 spirit for 200% seems like a real one-sided fight.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Tennmuerti

So does anyone know if those banner thingies from the beta achievements liek Betamaxed or Overachiever will carry over to the main game and are now forever unabtainable if you didn't get them in time?
    I started late and only had a few runs with the witch doctor left plus some coop stuff :(

@Adamsons said:

@alanm26v5 said:

Yeah thats right, but there are other considerations with dual wielding, i.e. for the monk it is a tradeoff of faster spirit generation from the increased attack speed against the loss of damage on spirit spending moves - e.g lashing tail kick does 200% of your main hand damage vs 200% of your 2h weapon damage. When dual wielding, spirit spenders will cast faster but cause less damage per point of spirit spent.

Also flat damage buffs seem to be per weapon.
    For example the 2-4 dmg rings you could buy in the demo gave much more damage to DW weapons then 2h. 
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sjupp
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gamefreak9

@Sjupp said:

@Adamsons: Man the Wave of Light ability looks so awesome but It was extremely underwhelming in the beta. (I was dual wielding 15 dps + 13 dps 1h's) at lv 12 (Only played during open beta). I did not dig deep into it but 75 spirit for 215% + 15% vs 30 spirit for 200% seems like a real one-sided fight.

I agree that wave of light was terrible... it looks cool but its weak... and the attack doesnt seem to go straight. What's REALLy making me consider the monk is that exploding palm technique!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @gamefreak9 said:

@Sjupp said:

I agree that wave of light was terrible... it looks cool but its weak... and the attack doesnt seem to go straight. What's REALLy making me consider the monk is that exploding palm technique!

I personally found the very first skill Fists of Thunder combined with Thunderclap to be kind of OP.
    You get super fast strikes, plus a little teleport action, plus an AoE effect that also does extra damage on primary target. You just cut through dudes with this and generate shitloads aof spirit in the process.
    Didn't see a reason to use Deadly Reach or Crippling Wave at all.

Seven Sided strike looks kinda insane.
    Especially with the extra exlposions. The number are craaaazy.
    777% damage spread over whatever is in the area, then each of the 7 hits also does a 111% damge aoe? It's NUTS!!!
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gamefreak9

ooo I have a question since I can't see it in the BETA anymore. Can I choose my tooltips to display numbers? Do I really have to go to Diablo3.com every time I want to find out the % damage?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @gamefreak9 said:

ooo I have a question since I can't see it in the BETA anymore. Can I choose my tooltips to display numbers? Do I really have to go to Diablo3.com every time I want to find out the % damage?

You mean on ability/skill tooltips? - yea you can set that in the options
    It's also possible to set damg/healing numbers to show up all the time for your character.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gamefreak9

I've been trying to find any updated for the buff they said they are working on. The one where killin rare boses improves your magic find and is canceled out if you change skills. What's the current state of that? Will it be implemented for the final game?

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sjupp

@Tennmuerti: Interesting! I only used Deadly Reach with the Piercing Trident rune and found it to have a greater damage output than when I tried your option. I felt like the difference in attack speeds between the two wasn't that great and the Deadly Reach had two or maybe three times the area of effect. The teleport (at least for me in the open beta) you get from the Thunderclap rune only seemed to activate about every fourth hit anyways making the dash you get a more viable option.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Panpipe

Here's a question:

How does the story work? I played the beta (really enjoyed it) but didn't quite understand how or why I was joining games. Am I correct in saying that in the menu you select what chapter you want to play (or continue from the chapter you last played) and then it slaps you on a server with people who are currently playing the same level? If you want to play alone how do you do that?

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Adamsons

@Sjupp said:

Yeah I agree - It has recently been changed for more upfront damage as well as less spirit cost. (recently as in before open beta)

Its hard to judge overall though, the beta is under a microscope because of the restrictions in place. Wave of Light can be runed to 40 spirit for 250% weapon damage and lashing tail kick can be runed to 240% damage for 30 spirit with a similar range. I think ultimately I will use lashing tail kick with the hand of ytar rune, because the monk is really lacking any ranged damage. But it wouldn't surprise me if wave of light or lashing tail kick had its costs further adjusted.

@Tennmuerti said:

Seven Sided strike looks kinda insane. Especially with the extra exlposions. The number are craaaazy. 777% damage spread over whatever is in the area, then each of the 7 hits also does a 111% damge aoe? It's NUTS!!!

I think that rune means each of the 7 111% hits is an aoe, so 777% aoe damage, just clarifying. The seven sided strike runes seem to vary on how you intend to use the skill - as burst damage against one or a small number of enemies, or against groups.

@Panpipe said:

Here's a question:

How does the story work? I played the beta (really enjoyed it) but didn't quite understand how or why I was joining games. Am I correct in saying that in the menu you select what chapter you want to play (or continue from the chapter you last played) and then it slaps you on a server with people who are currently playing the same level? If you want to play alone how do you do that?

You just select a quest and hit start game which puts you in your own game which is invite only. Clicking public game will put you into a public game, though the beta matchmaking can be screwy.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ravenlight

@gamefreak9 said:

I've been trying to find any updated for the buff they said they are working on. The one where killin rare boses improves your magic find and is canceled out if you change skills. What's the current state of that? Will it be implemented for the final game?

To help out your search, that buff is called Nephalem Valor and it's only available for characters at the level cap. Barring any major changes between now and the 15th, it should be in the game at launch.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By Rayeth

@Panpipe:

A: If you want to play alone you just start a game by yourself (not in a party, etc) and set your game to private. Enjoy your "single player" experience, despite being constantly online.

In reference to the story, it is divided into "quests" which are directly analogous to the quests you pick up in game. So you can join games of other people who are working on the same quest you want to play. So once you have completed a quest, if you want to play it again, you can select it and start the game right at that point.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Sjupp:
    I honestly really felt the speed difference, Deadly Reach just seemed to come out way slower.
    It' has a larger aoe area but the problem is that it's aoe is directional, while Thunderclap is omnidirectional.
    With dudes always trying to dry hump you like they are in the demo (especially in the dungeons or in MP) thunderclap is frequently hitting quite a lot of dudes.
    There seems to be a longer teleport that triggers when you are first entering combat, plus i just always felt way more mobile when using it as well.

I was just obliterating everything with it in the demo.
    The thing is that it's also the better option for tough single targets like elites/named/bosses.
    Putting down the king before he does a second summon (when solo)
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Adamsons said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Seven Sided strike looks kinda insane. Especially with the extra exlposions. The number are craaaazy. 777% damage spread over whatever is in the area, then each of the 7 hits also does a 111% damge aoe? It's NUTS!!!

I think that rune means each of the 7 111% hits is an aoe, so 777% aoe damage, just clarifying. The seven sided strike runes seem to vary on how you intend to use the skill - as burst damage against one or a small number of enemies, or against groups.

The thing is that in theory all those 111% aoe effects are seperate and therefore may overalp in the groups you do it on, with tight groupings of enemies you will be stacking several of those 111% aoes on anything in range of each other..
    "each strike explodes dealing 111% damage ... in a 7 yard radius around a target"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.