Server regions question

#1 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (555 posts) -

I just bought Starcraft II and I had some problems with chosing my regions so I want to make sure how it workd with Diablo 3.

I'm basically alternating between France and Canada. Since the game is always online, I'm afraid that it will lag even if I play solo when I'm not in the region I did choose at first. Did someone tried playing in a different region that the one they're living in? Does it demands a good internet connection?

I know changing regions will make me redo a new character, but would it be possible for me to have my "France" character and my "Canada" character, alternating between both of them when I'm in my travels. Can I change regions at will? Will I have to send a mail to consumer support to do that or can I just do it from a menu?

I know some of these questions have been answered already, but I can't find those answers on the official site. Blizzard.com or Battle.net default on the french website and those are unhelpful. Also, customer service's help for Starcraft II has been somewhat crappy, giving me some plain wrong informations, so I prefer to ask here first for Diablo.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

As far as I can tell, the regions for Diablo III are Asia, EU, and Americas. You can't be on multiple right now. Also, if you bought the game in a certain region, you won't be able to log into another region as it won't recognize that you've purchased it. So choose which one, and b happy with it for now because you'll be stuck with it.

I believe eventually they will be going to a "world-wide" play model, but I have no idea how that will work.

#3 Posted by Ben_H (3381 posts) -

For SC2, once you pick a region you are stuck there unless you create a ticket with support to have it changed (which takes a long time), you cannot change it within the game menu at will. If you want to have both an account on the North American server and on the European server you have to own two accounts, you can't easily switch one account back and forth.  The lag between North America and Europe on either server is not bad and certainly playable. A lot of pros play on Europe's server from North America and vice versa.

#4 Posted by Aetheldod (3627 posts) -

You should ask the user at the forums there ..... I dunno .... I think it only matters your conection , and if you are playing solo I dont see a problem with supposed lag , is not like the game is run on servers .... is it?

#5 Edited by Zyzus (20 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

You should ask the user at the forums there ..... I dunno .... I think it only matters your conection , and if you are playing solo I dont see a problem with supposed lag , is not like the game is run on servers .... is it?

Yes. It requires an active connection.

@Fear_the_Booboo said:

I know changing regions will make me redo a new character, but would it be possible for me to have my "France" character and my "Canada" character, alternating between both of them when I'm in my travels. Can I change regions at will? Will I have to send a mail to consumer support to do that or can I just do it from a menu?

Yes. Blizzard is touting "Global Play" for Diablo III specifically. You will be able to alternate between servers after they have launched in all regions.

Now, I can't confirm the method of alternating servers as this is just speculation. However, I believe you switch region types by going to the options and selecting the region of your choosing (Americas, Asia, Europe).

Correct me if I'm wrong about anything, this is just off the top of my noggin. :)

#6 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (555 posts) -

@Zyzus: Ok. So as far as I understand, they teased that you will be able to "global play" but there's no information on how it'll works.

I probably won't play before it's working. If there's lag when I'm not in my first chosen region, I'll be angry.

I do find it disappointing that people living a similar situation have to go through these troubles to make their games work properly. It works against the customer, which is even more disappointing since Blizzard thinks a lot on how they make their games. It's surprising that they don't have a simple answer to those living in more than one country. Let's hope that some simple solution will come later.

#7 Edited by Zyzus (20 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.