The Lag

  • 50 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

I've heard a ton of people that are still bitching about Blizzard's servers when it comes to playing DIABLO 3 and in all honesty I think it's just annoying. Is it Blizzard's fault? Yes. Is it your internet connection? Possibly! When it comes to a game like this and you get pissed about lag... what did you expect? I mean I'm not 100% happy about it either but to hear people drone on and on and on about it just seems kind of pathetic. If you don't like it... DON'T PLAY IT! There! I've solved the problem for you. Now we can all move on.

#1 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

I've heard a ton of people that are still bitching about Blizzard's servers when it comes to playing DIABLO 3 and in all honesty I think it's just annoying. Is it Blizzard's fault? Yes. Is it your internet connection? Possibly! When it comes to a game like this and you get pissed about lag... what did you expect? I mean I'm not 100% happy about it either but to hear people drone on and on and on about it just seems kind of pathetic. If you don't like it... DON'T PLAY IT! There! I've solved the problem for you. Now we can all move on.

#2 Posted by D_W (1141 posts) -

From all the coverage I've seen on it, I agree. People should not play or buy Diablo 3.

#3 Posted by Virago (2486 posts) -

Wait, are you suggesting that we DON'T play crappy, overrated games? ON A VIDEO GAME FORUM? Jeezus, who do you think these people are?

#4 Posted by Fin (85 posts) -

ITT: Arrogance aplenty.

#5 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

So here you are. "droning" on and on about how you hate these people.

Seems kind of pathetic.

"If you don't like it, don't play it" is also one of the worst things to say, ever.

How are people supposed to know they don't like a game or something in a game if they're not allowed to play it first?

I swear it's the same idiots who came up with that who also work at some store where you return a game and go "Hey, I just bought this and it didn't work" and then they say "We can't take that back, it's opened"

Of course it is Idiot McFuckface, how else was I gonna find out that the game didn't work?

#6 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

So here you are. "droning" on and on about how you hate these people.

Seems kind of pathetic.

"If you don't like it, don't play it" is also one of the worst things to say, ever.

How are people supposed to know they don't like a game or something in a game if they're not allowed to play it first?

I swear it's the same idiots who came up with that who also work at some store where you return a game and go "Hey, I just bought this and it didn't work" and then they say "We can't take that back, it's opened"

Of course it is Idiot McFuckface, how else was I gonna find out that the game didn't work?

I'm freaking the fuck out because I swear to god those last two lines have been said word for word on these forums before.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6956 posts) -

Your right, perhaps we shouldnt mention the lag. But can we mention the massive security hole, or the server down time, or the crappy graphics?

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@BigChickenDinner said:

@ZeForgotten said:

So here you are. "droning" on and on about how you hate these people.

Seems kind of pathetic.

"If you don't like it, don't play it" is also one of the worst things to say, ever.

How are people supposed to know they don't like a game or something in a game if they're not allowed to play it first?

I swear it's the same idiots who came up with that who also work at some store where you return a game and go "Hey, I just bought this and it didn't work" and then they say "We can't take that back, it's opened"

Of course it is Idiot McFuckface, how else was I gonna find out that the game didn't work?

I'm freaking the fuck out because I swear to god those last two lines have been said word for word on these forums before.

Relax! Sit down and breath, nothing's gonna happen at all. Things like that happen all the time. Want a beer to help you relax? beer is good and there's nothing in it that could force you to sleep for a long time so that when you wake up you will think that this was all a dream
#9 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: I can't help but think I'm losing my mind XD

#10 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@BigChickenDinner: Something that's weird is that it has taken you this long to lose your mind. 
You've held on longer than the rest :P
#11 Posted by JBG4 (400 posts) -

I freaking love the game. I haven't had any trouble whatsoever after the first day and a half. I've been loving it ever since, a little spot of lag occasionally but nothing severe and it disappears almost immediately.

#12 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner: Wouldn't know. Usually don't read the other shit. :-)

#13 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@JBG4: Aside from a few minor problems with lag here and there I have no other complaints about the game either. I love it!

#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

@Slither_Maggot said:

If you don't like it... DON'T PLAY IT! There! I've solved the problem for you. Now we can all move on.

I don't think this is a strong argument. It's fair enough to say people may be blowing the problem out of proportion, but when people have paid a considerable sum of money for a product and it doesn't work properly then they have every right to criticize. I don't see why it should be a choice between playing the game and criticizing it, that doesn't make sense. Constructive criticism aids both the developer and the consumer, and just because people have the option not to play a game doesn't mean that companies get to let down customers like that without backlash.

Moderator
#15 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

I'm about 30 hours in and I have had one disconnect the whole time. Having a blast with the game. One of the best games i've played in a long time.

#16 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@laserbolts: I've had about the same. Just got disconnected for the first time a little while ago. I'm very pleased with the game as a whole and have had a lot of fun with it so far. Can't wait to crack into the tougher difficulties.

#17 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@Virago: A crappy, overrated game that you checked the forum for ;-)

#18 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

Just my 2 cents, the shitty connection I have in South Texas gives me no issues with Diablo 3. the only lag I've encountered is when I'm playing alone and pause ot. When I unpause if I don't wait a second I get jerked back. Just once, and that's all. Unless you're on really bad dsl you shouldn't be seeing problems. I'd wager anything beyond that is something on your end. Stop all the downloadin'. That being said, I'm sick and tired of this entitlement mentality with games these days. So there's some lag, that's the internet. So it's online DRM for an omline game that can be played in single player. It's not the first time, won't be the last time, and it's not intrusive unless you're traveling. Turns out there are games that aren't requiring an active Internet connection to play them. Maybe you sshould try that. Used to be I couldn't play Link to the Past in a car so I'd bring a game boy and play Link's Awakening instead.

#19 Posted by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

@Toxeia: Diablo 3 is a big release, it wouldn't be the same without the squad of people trying their hardest to put it down. They don't care about reason, logic, or information of any kind, all they care about is how many ways they can kill the enjoyment the rest of us have with the game. (The number of ways is actually zero, but don't tell them that)

#20 Posted by AlisterCat (5520 posts) -

You might be sick of whining, but when I bought Diablo I didn't know about the single player lag. I didn't know about what is being dealt with server side, and as a customer I shouldn't really have to. I have had to avoid playing Diablo for days because of my unstable internet connection and that's all I care about. Doesn't make it a bad game, shouldn't mean that I shouldn't try and play it.

It's OK to complain sometimes.

#21 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -

yea i'm on my nightmare playthrough and i actually like this game a lot. the server stuff on day 1 and 2 was a bummer and there are angry posts by me because honestly blizzard should of saw it coming.

i don't forgive them nor should anyone but the time for flaming the game has passed. just go play something else

#22 Posted by Dagbiker (6956 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

Just my 2 cents, the shitty connection I have in South Texas gives me no issues with Diablo 3. the only lag I've encountered is when I'm playing alone and pause ot. When I unpause if I don't wait a second I get jerked back. Just once, and that's all. Unless you're on really bad dsl you shouldn't be seeing problems. I'd wager anything beyond that is something on your end. Stop all the downloadin'. That being said, I'm sick and tired of this entitlement mentality with games these days. So there's some lag, that's the internet. So it's online DRM for an omline game that can be played in single player. It's not the first time, won't be the last time, and it's not intrusive unless you're traveling. Turns out there are games that aren't requiring an active Internet connection to play them. Maybe you sshould try that. Used to be I couldn't play Link to the Past in a car so I'd bring a game boy and play Link's Awakening instead.

Yah, Im sick of gamer's who think they are entitled to play the games they buy.

#23 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2486 posts) -

This is the internet. As long as people aren't threatening the lives of Blizzard employees or rioting in the streets, I think it'll be easier for you just to ignore people who are bitching than to try and get people to stop bitching.

Also, whether it's my internet connection or Blizzard servers spiking out and causing it, it's still Blizzard.

#24 Posted by MacEG (253 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Yah, Im sick of gamer's who think they are entitled to play the games they buy.

Best line in the world.

Also, lag = bad on the East Coast of the US of A. Not sure why. This is Blizzard. Not too apparent with the barb but with a DH or more surgical character, it's noticeable.

I find it hard to imagine that Blizzard isn't hard at work adding servers/fixing the game. They're a business.

#25 Posted by Binman88 (3685 posts) -

Actually, a large portion of online games have managed to be relatively lag-free since forever. Saying that lag is something players should expect and put up with is laughable. Yes, put up with it when it happens every once in a while, but when it's happening every 30 seconds or so you've got a legitimate complaint.

Online
#26 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Purchase game

Strange lag that makes game unplayable even while solo'ing every ten minutes or so

Have excellent internet connection

So what you're saying is, instead of complaining about something that needs to be fixed, I should just give up and endure it. I'm sure companies must love you

#27 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

I have experienced little to zero lag since I have gotten the game and I live in a ghetto man....A FUCKING GHETTO!!!!

And I'm Comcast to boot

#28 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

@Dagbiker: I'm sick of assholes who think their time is better spent bitching about a problem that's 1) already being worked on 2) Not as big a fucking deal as everyone acts like it is.

#29 Posted by ModernAlkemie (361 posts) -

I guess I better start a thread so that I can complain about people complaining about people complaining. Who wants to start a thread that complains about me complaining about people complaining about people complaining?

#30 Posted by MacEG (253 posts) -

@ModernAlkemie: You'd have to change it up though and be like "I hate people who complain and I hate that orange chocolate sheeeiiitt."

You know. Add your own spin to it.

#31 Posted by Kazona (3063 posts) -

I would dare say that it's the other way around. It's not the people who have the courage to complain that need to be told to quit whining, but, rather, those who continuously berate them for it.

Think about it, logically, for a second. If there is no one left to complain, nothing will ever change.

#32 Posted by shivermetimbers (764 posts) -

Alrighty then.....

Let's say you spent $60 in a gourmet restaurant. Let's also say that you trust the people that run it and expect good food. After all, you've eaten there a number of times before. You order your food, and instead of good food, you get pig shit. But hey! Don't complain, you're not forced to eat it...

Right?

#33 Edited by Xeirus (1294 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

You might be sick of whining, but when I bought Diablo I didn't know about the single player lag. I didn't know about what is being dealt with server side, and as a customer I shouldn't really have to. I have had to avoid playing Diablo for days because of my unstable internet connection and that's all I care about. Doesn't make it a bad game, shouldn't mean that I shouldn't try and play it.

It's OK to complain sometimes.

Early adopters syndrome, buying something without waiting for any review is always risky. But people love to wait in line at midnight then freakout when something isn't working at 12:01. Being irritated is fine, losing your mind like some people have is just pathetic.

The game was only unplayable for 2 days at the most, a day for me. I went to work and took take of real world things, then a day later it's working and I get to play, stress free, imagine that.

@shivermetimbers said:

Alrighty then.....

Let's say you spent $60 in a gourmet restaurant. Let's also say that you trust the people that run it and expect good food. After all, you've eaten there a number of times before. You order your food, and instead of good food, you get pig shit. But hey! Don't complain, you're not forced to eat it...

Right?

Ever been to a place that didn't fix your order when asked? Yeah I didn't think so, guess what, the game is fixed...

#34 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@AlisterCat said:

You might be sick of whining, but when I bought Diablo I didn't know about the single player lag. I didn't know about what is being dealt with server side, and as a customer I shouldn't really have to. I have had to avoid playing Diablo for days because of my unstable internet connection and that's all I care about. Doesn't make it a bad game, shouldn't mean that I shouldn't try and play it.

It's OK to complain sometimes.

Early adopters syndrome, buying something without waiting for any review is always risky. But people love to wait in line at midnight then freakout when something isn't working at 12:01. Being irritated is fine, losing your mind like some people have is just pathetic.

The game was only unplayable for 2 days at the most, a day for me. I went to work and took take of real world things, then a day later it's working and I get to play, stress free, imagine that.

Except for the people who are still experiencing issues. Also this hardly reflects on reviews, since it's not the game itself. It's not something that needs to be 'changed'. It's something that still needs to be fixed. So, just because it works great for you, doesn't make other people pathetic. I imagine if you experienced the same issues, you wouldn't be incredibly happy that it's nearly unplayable even now. But yes, good name drop on 'real world' stuff. My money is also from the 'real world'. I enjoy the game. However, I'd like it to work properly. It's not a crime, and certainly shouldn't reflect poorly on me for buying something and having it not work as intended, through no fault of my own.

#35 Edited by Rasgueado (712 posts) -

@Slither_Maggot: I have a much simpler solution. If you're tired of reading the comments people make on the bad lag in Diablo 3 than stop reading the comments. There, I've solved the problem for you.

#36 Posted by EXTomar (4625 posts) -

I must live a blessed life because the times I've played Diablo 3, I have not encountered problems. No login problems, no login queues, no crashing, no disconnects, no lag or slowdown. Since I play games like this a lot I thought I would be in the forefront of problems and even prepared to see a total disaster last week and hit none of it. At this moment I can't tell how much of the screaming is actual issues or just self perpetuating rage.

ps. "If you don't like it, don't play it" is a terrible stance. Games should strive to entice people where faults are problem.

#37 Posted by Zirilius (607 posts) -

I can complain about the lag all you want. When I lose a hardcore character simply cause lag rubber bands me back into a mob I've lept away from and my latency was green the entire time I have a right to complain about it. I've had more latency issues with this than any game I've played online in quite sometime. I could understand if this was an Open World MMO having the lag but with every person's game instanced there should be next to none.

I still love the game despite it's issues but yeah I have a right to complain when I have 0 issues with other games with steeper requirements.

#38 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

During the day I get 50 - 100ms... During night time I get between 250 - 400ms it's laggy but not unplayable

#39 Posted by shivermetimbers (764 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@shivermetimbers said:

Alrighty then.....

Let's say you spent $60 in a gourmet restaurant. Let's also say that you trust the people that run it and expect good food. After all, you've eaten there a number of times before. You order your food, and instead of good food, you get pig shit. But hey! Don't complain, you're not forced to eat it...

Right?

Ever been to a place that didn't fix your order when asked? Yeah I didn't think so, guess what, the game is fixed...

That was in response to the OP saying we shouldn't complain about things we paid good money for and saying, "Just deal with it or don't play it!" YOU may not have problems with Blizzards online DRM. In fact your play experience may be great. But depending on who you are, problems have been coming up for people such as myself, and we have a right to complain about it. Considering most of the problems aren't on our end, how can we not help but complain?

#40 Posted by Xeirus (1294 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

@Xeirus said:

@AlisterCat said:

You might be sick of whining, but when I bought Diablo I didn't know about the single player lag. I didn't know about what is being dealt with server side, and as a customer I shouldn't really have to. I have had to avoid playing Diablo for days because of my unstable internet connection and that's all I care about. Doesn't make it a bad game, shouldn't mean that I shouldn't try and play it.

It's OK to complain sometimes.

Early adopters syndrome, buying something without waiting for any review is always risky. But people love to wait in line at midnight then freakout when something isn't working at 12:01. Being irritated is fine, losing your mind like some people have is just pathetic.

The game was only unplayable for 2 days at the most, a day for me. I went to work and took take of real world things, then a day later it's working and I get to play, stress free, imagine that.

Except for the people who are still experiencing issues. Also this hardly reflects on reviews, since it's not the game itself. It's not something that needs to be 'changed'. It's something that still needs to be fixed. So, just because it works great for you, doesn't make other people pathetic. I imagine if you experienced the same issues, you wouldn't be incredibly happy that it's nearly unplayable even now. But yes, good name drop on 'real world' stuff. My money is also from the 'real world'. I enjoy the game. However, I'd like it to work properly. It's not a crime, and certainly shouldn't reflect poorly on me for buying something and having it not work as intended, through no fault of my own.

Maybe you took it the wrong way when I said "real world". I simply mean I'm not raging on message boards for a week. I was patient and now it works, simple as that.

I'm not really pointing at you when I mention people being pathetic, it's just the usual internet children losing their minds when something isn't working.

Not that it makes up for it, because it doesn't, but -everything- has issues day one. Every game needs a "day 1 patch" and so on.

The biggest issue IMO is the lack of LAN/single player, that shit is just insane.

I think D3 is one of the best games I have played in some time, and while not perfect it easily going to being one of the best games this year. But holy crap dude, no single player or LAN, a lot of these issues could have been solved by that.

#41 Posted by LightReflection (4 posts) -

Maintenance in Australian peak time, unplayable in America's peak time, >250ms latency at best. Pretty sure Australia got royally fucked.

#42 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I never had problems with online games before.
 
But Diablo 3 keeps giving me lagspikes and stutters.
And not just me, my friends get it too and judging from forums a lot more people do.
 
I lost a Hardcore character that was blazing through the game on level 26 because I got a lagspike in the middle of a boss fight.
I would really love an offline option, if only for the Hardcore mode.

#43 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I never had problems with online games before. But Diablo 3 keeps giving me lagspikes and stutters. And not just me, my friends get it too and judging from forums a lot more people do. I lost a Hardcore character that was blazing through the game on level 26 because I got a lagspike in the middle of a boss fight. I would really love an offline option, if only for the Hardcore mode.

I'd imagine their servers are still on fire from launch. Lag has been pretty hit or miss for me. Most of the time it runs great, every once in a while I hit a lag spike. It's not ideal but at the same time it's not the end of the world either.

#44 Posted by dskillzhtown (31 posts) -

The truth is if no one complains, then Blizzard has no clue that problems are occurring. Some go over the top with the complaining, but the message gets there. Personally, the lag has gotten much better than it was before, but right after launch, anytime I was about to encounter a big battle, I would get lag. It isn't my connection, I have the fastest internet money can buy in my area, it is a Blizzard issue. It has gotten better since launch, but it was a distracting issue before.

#45 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: I agree, and offline mode would have been rather awesome for that very thing.

#46 Posted by SSully (4147 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Your right, perhaps we shouldnt mention the lag. But can we mention the massive security hole, or the server down time, or the crappy graphics?

Hey, what's wrong with the graphics? I think they look great, and also are good at scaling on a lot of different kinds of hardware, like all blizzard games.

#47 Posted by JoeyRavn (4961 posts) -

I've noticed I have more latency than I should be getting. And before you say it's my fault, I have a 100Mbps cable connection with a ping of merely 30ms to SpeedTest's Paris servers. So, yeah, I have bandwith and ping to spare. I'm pretty sure it's all because Blizzard's servers are being hammered non-stop by thousands of users at the same time, not because of my connection. That being said, I always have around 200 - 299ms of ping. While not exactly crippling, it does make itself noticeable from time to time, especially when there is a small increase in the latency and it goes over to "yellow bar" territory. But, in the end, it's totally manageable.

@EXTomar: You sure like your condescending attitude, right? You truly are lucky if you've never lost anything to a lag spike, like a character or a rare item. Not that I have, but I can totally understand why it may be frustrating for many to have a way higher latency than they should when everything is fine on their part. You should cut the high-horsey crap and try to walk a mile in their shoes for once.

#48 Edited by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Same boat here... Great connection--I can download porn like a motherfucker!--but that doesn't seem to matter when I play Diablo III. Haven't experienced game-breaking lag yet...haven't lost anything (progress, items, etc), and it hasn't been bad enough to make the game unplayable. At the moment the lag resulting from the occasionally high latency is, in my case anyway, a minor bummer. I'm sure the lag/latency will be ironed out in, oh, let's say a month or so.

#49 Edited by geirr (2508 posts) -

It should not be surprising to anyone that any game with such a huge fanbase has people talking about the game's faults on gaming forums.

#50 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@MagusMaleficus: Agreed. Blizzard will get things hammered out before too long. Look at how D2 jumped in #'s for battle.net. Yet people can play that now like there's no tomorrow on just about any connection. I've only been knocked out a game once so far (knock on wood) and I actually didn't lose anything I had collected up to the point of getting booted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.