Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

The Only Way Diablo III PvP will be Fun for Everyone

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Let's be honest here, with the extreme RNG in Diablo III's loot generation, the only way its PvP will be competitive and fun is...

...to do what Guild Wars 2 does with its matched instanced PvP. Standardized itemization, and entire skill roster open from the get-go - only visual upgrades to PvP gear, as well as achievements and titles/banner stuff from PvP progression.

And I hope there will be more than just Team Deathmatch.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

It seems weird to me that there's a subset of players who are so behind the idea of competitive PVP in D3. Like, I can understand that a person would want a thing, but why not play a different game where that thing is actually what the game was designed around?

I hope that didn't come off as too negative, I just genuinely don't get it.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Nentisys

No. Pvp should be just like in Diablo 2.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

@Seppli said:

Let's be honest here, with the extreme RNG in Diablo III's loot generation, the only way its PvP will be competitive and fun is...

...to do what Guild Wars 2 does with its matched instanced PvP. Standardized itemization, and entire skill roster open from the get-go - only visual upgrades to PvP gear, as well as achievements and titles/banner stuff from PvP progression.

And I hope there will be more than just Team Deathmatch.

I honestly knew exactly what you were going to say before even clicking this thread and I agree with it entirely :)

The only real holdback I have is that they would need to get the balance SPOT ON between every character, Im a pretty avid WoW player and right now have accumulated every piece of pvp gear and gemt hat i can this season, and the one thing i have noticed is that at the top level playing field where all is even gear wise - a fair few of the inconsistencies show their faces a lot more than normal, if you were to fall foul of something similar beforehand you might be able to put it down to maybe being a gear issue or a different spec.

That being said with the AH availability and real money AH maybe showing up someday it seems like madness to allow PvP to be left down to 'what the players managed to scrounge together' - maybe they'll do something similar to how they segregate The AH for hardcore and softcore characters, and how they dont share item and gold pools? at this point it's all speculation but the GW2 model defintiely appeaks

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Turambar

Yeah, pretty much.  More than the RNG behind loot, it's the fact that the real money auction house exists.  The ability to simply out spend your opponent removes any semblance of fairness.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Canteu

No. PvP is for shits and giggles. It's not supposed to be competitive. Blizzard even said they aren't balancing the game at all for PvP.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BionicRadd

Yea, sorry, bud, but PVP isnt gonna be an esport in Diablo 3. Balancing would be a nightmare (maybe even an inferno) and would totally ruin the rest of the game. People crying about the RMAH seem to not understand that Diablo 2 had the exact same thing and probably still does. There were avenues through which you could spend real money on items in that game and I am sure some of the most dedicated PVP players in D2 did exactly that. The best thing they could do for D3 PVP is maybe add some tactics based, goal oriented arenas where it isn't just your damage output that decides your fate. Even then, people who jump in without the best gear are gonna get owned, hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.