Thoughts on the Diablo 3 beta that no one cares about

Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -
  • Got to level 7
  • Originally thought it was too washed with various colors but it looks fine now.
  • "Feels good"
  • Happy to see each piece of equipment changes my appearance.
  • I never want to hear Jennifer Hale again unless she's playing Naomi Hunter.
  • There are too many obvious gates blocking your progress that don't exist for good reason.
  • I can't max out Half-Life 2: Episode 2 at 1024x768 and have it run totally smooth on this computer but D3 runs pretty well at medium/high settings. Gets choppy when there are a lot of monsters on screen but runs at 60fps half of the time. Good for me, but bad for everyone else with a competent computer because I think they could have squeezed out a lot more detail.
  • "Hungry Torso"
  • The hotbar lets me press a number to use a skill without having to actually switch to it but each slot is blocked off by level and I can't see a good reason for that.
  • Runes effects are locked by level too. I think I would have preferred to find random colored runes. I don't really know the reasoning behind this.
  • Potions with a cool down mixed with health orbs are a good balance to solve that issue.
  • I'm worried about a lack of customization. How can you customize your character?
#1 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -
  • Got to level 7
  • Originally thought it was too washed with various colors but it looks fine now.
  • "Feels good"
  • There are too many obvious gates blocking your progress that don't exist for good reason.
  • I can't max out Half-Life 2: Episode 2 at 1024x768 and have it run totally smooth on this computer but D3 runs pretty well at medium/high settings. Gets choppy when there are a lot of monsters on screen but runs at 60fps half of the time. Good for me, but bad for everyone else with a competent computer because I think they could have squeezed out a lot more detail.
  • "Hungry Torso"
  • The hotbar lets me press a number to use a skill without having to actually switch to it but each slot is blocked off by level and I can't see a good reason for that.
  • Runes effects are locked by level too. I think I would have preferred to find random colored runes. I don't really know the reasoning behind this.
  • Potions with a cool down mixed with health orbs are a good balance to solve that issue.
  • I'm worried about a lack of customization. How can you customize your character?
#2 Posted by kindgineer (2730 posts) -

Lots of interesting opinions. Don't agree with most, but alas that is the glory of it all!

#3 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1667 posts) -

@gorkamorkaorka said:

All the different combinations of skills and runes make it seem like people can come up with some pretty different characters that are still technically within the same class. It's just that none of it is permanent.

#4 Edited by NicksCorner (416 posts) -

Im confused. Does nobody care about the beta or is that related to your bulletin thoughts?

#5 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

@NicksCorner said:

Im confused. Does nobody care about the beta or is that related to your bulletin thoughts?

There are a 100 people giving their opinions on the beta, and no one really cares about anyone elses thoughts.

#6 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

@gorkamorkaorka said:

I think the way they did what they did with the skills and runes makes sense from a fun perspective, I think you unlock something every level... so there's something new to experiment every level so you can try out different things and when you hit 60 you can know what everything is like and pick your favs. Also here's my post on http://www.giantbomb.com/diablo-iii/61-20803/for-the-last-time-diablo-3-is-more-customizable-than-d2/35-544135/#30, Diablo 3 is more customizable than diablo 2 by MILES away. It's just not as obvious, for some reason people think that because a choice is done on your character himself rather than from his items, its more customizable...

#7 Posted by jakkblades (404 posts) -

@gorkamorkaorka said:

• Got to level 7
  • "Feels good"
  • "Hungry Torso"

Jennifer Hale went to my high school. She came back and spoke to a theatre class, so I've actually heard her speak in real life. A little troubling..

#8 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

@gorkamorkaorka said:

Can you imagine how many runes you would have in your inventory? That logistics problem is the reason. I think this way is cool.As you level up to level 60, you'll always be getting new runes/skills.

#9 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

@Mesklinite said:

@gorkamorkaorka said:

Can you imagine how many runes you would have in your inventory? That logistics problem is the reason. I think this way is cool.As you level up to level 60, you'll always be getting new runes/skills.

You're right, you would have the issue of too many runes versus rarity versus actual usability.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.