Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

+ % to find magical items? No thanks.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Fearbeard

I was really hoping Diablo 3 would do away with this terrible stat. I used to stockpile this stuff and then I'd find awesome loot that I'd never use because I felt like I needed to keep using my + % gear to find even more awesome gear which I would also never use. Well I'm not playing that way ever again. If it's on some gear that gives me other bonuses that I'm looking for then naturally I'll use it, but outside of that I'm going to make an effort never to use the stat and instead use the bonuses that actually make me stronger.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sjupp

NEED MORE PERFECT TOPAZ GEMS

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I've never used gear purely for its magic find stat in Diablo 2, and I will continue not to in Diablo 3. If someone wants to run around in a MF set trying to get drops then good for them, but that's not for me.

Bleako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Bleako

Cool story bro.

However, remember that in D3 you'll be able to sell your items for actual money. MF = big pimpin'

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fearbeard

@Bleako: Oh god, I forgot about that. I know I'm never going to be buying anything through it, but if I can manage to leach some money off of stupid people then I might be forced to stock magic find equipment. Damn you Blizzard.

snakeeyes327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By snakeeyes327

Fine, if you don't want to stack MF then don't stack MF. Not that it really matters because it's not the only stat on an item anymore.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By wunder_

Nephalem's Valor.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fearbeard

@SnakeEyes327:

Thanks for your permission.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grillbar

why not oh the hours spend grinding Mephisto with my wizzard just get the the best armor sets

ah okay but i still like

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By mike

This is brilliant. Give the farmers gear to encourage more real money item transactions, which Blizzard gets a cut of.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Magic and Gold Find is much, much less important than in Diablo 2. Especially if you play as a group, because now that attribute gets shared with the other teamplayers and you cannot "leech" of their efforts.

I'd like to see it being put away too as I just don't think it's the best idea to have a stat like that in a game, however I'm already happy that's it going to have less of an impact here.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By xxNBxx

Magic & Gold find can only be found on a few equipment types. So your not going to be able to stock up on an all MF like you were in D2.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Fearbeard: MF gear will be significantly less gimped than it was in D2 because of the way stats are distributed on gear now. Most gear you'll be using in the end-game when MF really matters will have 5-6 different bonus attributes on them. Even if one of them is MF you're still getting another 4-5 buffs per piece of gear. Not too shabby.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By gamefreak9

@StarvingGamer said:

@Fearbeard: MF gear will be significantly less gimped than it was in D2 because of the way stats are distributed on gear now. Most gear you'll be using in the end-game when MF really matters will have 5-6 different bonus attributes on them. Even if one of them is MF you're still getting another 4-5 buffs per piece of gear. Not too shabby.

this, it seems MF is on the sidelines but I don't know i've always romanticized MF, it seems cool to fin LOTS of rare items. I think its even MORE useful in D3 since gold is actually useful and you can break down those items to roll more stuff. I'm planning on prioritizing either MF or exp bonus on my char, until I reach 60, where I will actually start prioritizing combat stuff. Also the way they are talking about inferno... i'm under the impression your going to need to FARM a whole lot in this game. For my level 60 char if its a Barb I'm planning on holding a couple of sets, one for tanking, since i'm playing with friends they can do the damage, one for damage, and probably one for farming when i'm not pushing through a new area. For instance i'm under the impression hell will be the main farming area, or act 1 of inferno(o gawd i'm dreading playing this same SK sequence again, i've capped all 5 chars in the beta). if MF can reduce my farming runs by a couple of hours then it paid off, though there's no way to actually see if it made a difference.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SoothsayerGB said:

Why would gold farmers stop using their own websites to sell their wares? You get a keylogger and they get your money. Plus some other stuff from you PC, if your not careful.

I want to see how this real money AH works. Because it sounds like a great idea that will be ruined by RMT. Has Blizzard said how they will deal with abusers of the AH? Like when people drive prices down, spam trash items, break stacks into singles, control markets, bid on their own items to drive the prices up, dupe, bot, and so on.

In Final Fantasy online RMT controlled the AH on my server. Plus they hacked spawns to end-game quest items(rare mobs), so that people had to buy spawns from them. They were a major contributor to the downfall of the game. People were quitting left and right when GMs did nothing.

If this AH thing fails it could be really bad for the game. I already have my doubts about a 10 year old game with a new skin. If people can, they will.

A whole new generation is about to learn of the dark side of MMO's.

As a Hardcore (the difficulty) player, real money AH means nothing to me.

A lot of the MMO stuff isn't even possible in Diablo III.

Loot is player specific, you'll never have loot stolen or be able to steal other peoples loot. If the AH gets ruined people will just go back to third party sites if they want to buy items like they did in Diablo II. I guess the closest thing would be people just joining your game, switching to a different act, soling the whole act and leaving, just to get the better loot/stronger monsters, but you could just remake your game if you wanted to play the act.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By duggshammer

got 99 problems, but 300% magic find ain't one.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Bleako said:

Cool story bro.

However, remember that in D3 you'll be able to sell your items for actual money. MF = big pimpin'

Great addition to the conversation bro.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Ravenlight

I came in here expecting a knee-jerk reaction to the MF stat where the OP swears that they're not going to buy D3 because of it. Color me pleasantly surprised.

I kind've feel the same way about MF in that I'm probably not going to sacrifice an inventory slot for something that only does MF as I'm progressing through the game.

But I'll probably end up hoarding a second set of gear that's MF-centric and maybe a third set with maxed gold-find. Just for funsies.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

I simply don't plan on using MF gear (on purpose anyway) unless actually doing boss/elite runs to properly farm gear.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Yadilie

@SoothsayerGB said:

Why would gold farmers stop using their own websites to sell their wares? You get a keylogger and they get your money. Plus some other stuff from you PC, if your not careful.

I want to see how this real money AH works. Because it sounds like a great idea that will be ruined by RMT. Has Blizzard said how they will deal with abusers of the AH? Like when people drive prices down, spam trash items, break stacks into singles, control markets, bid on their own items to drive the prices up, dupe, bot, and so on.

In Final Fantasy online RMT controlled the AH on my server. Plus they hacked spawns to end-game quest items(rare mobs), so that people had to buy spawns from them. They were a major contributor to the downfall of the game. People were quitting left and right when GMs did nothing.

If this AH thing fails it could be really bad for the game. I already have my doubts about a 10 year old game with a new skin. If people can, they will.

A whole new generation is about to learn of the dark side of MMO's.

RMTs were not the cause of the downfall of the game. It was however an extremely bad era in the life of FF11. Once they released the rare drops in BCNM events that basically killed RMTs for the better. Things went for 10 million Gil to 300k Gil. FF11 was killed because of Abyssea. Not RMTs.

Also MF is MF. You didn't need it in D2. You probably won't need it in D3 either. Always found it to be placebo personally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.