Wait ... did I just lose all my progress?!

#1 Posted by Moriarty (48 posts) -

Aren't our saves supposed to be saved on Blizzards servers? If so ... why did I lose all my progress? Let me rewind a bit. My laptop's HDD dying last week. It was irreparable so I had a new one installed. I installed Diablo 3 again, then I log in and I find myself in the character creator screen, rather then seeing my 50 hour old lady monk.

Soooo ... what gives? Did I really lose all the progress, items, friend list, etc etc? Or is there something that I can do? Should I contact Blizzard support?

#2 Posted by Barrock (3552 posts) -

Try checking the server setting. Are you in a different region?

#3 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

i would of done that before creating the thread

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

You should contact Blizzard support. The progress is usually saved. You may just need it sorted out with your new install of the game.

#5 Posted by Marz (5668 posts) -

check region, you might be in the wrong one.

#6 Posted by Mnemoidian (956 posts) -

3 possibilities: A) Your region has been changed, try changing that (it's under options -> account on the login screen), B) There are temporary server issues, and everything will probably work in an hour again. Or C) Your account has been compromised.

I can't check the servers at the moment, but you didn't mention which region you are in anyway... I'd suggest you check out the official forums (battle.net) and/or give it an hour.

If nothing shows up (and no one else is having this problem on the forums), you may want to check out (US) http://us.battle.net/en/security/help or (EU) http://eu.battle.net/en/security/help

#7 Posted by DeF (4958 posts) -

yup, the save is on their server. you just auto-switched regions somehow. check the options and change the region back and you'll find your character(s) are still there.

#8 Posted by Moriarty (48 posts) -

Looks like the doofus (me) struck again. I just changed the server from "the americas" to "europe" and there she was, my lady monk. I don't know why it defaulted to the american server, but oh well.

Thanks for the help duders.

#9 Posted by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

Glad it worked out for ya.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.