Was the Beta Too Easy?

#1 Posted by BruceLeeSoapdish (38 posts) -

I know the beta was the very beginning of the game and it ended shortly, but did anyone else think Diablo III was WAY too easy? I never once felt like I might die on any of the classes. I don't know if Blizzard simply lowered the difficulty for the beta so they wouldn't scare people away, but the light difficulty had the opposite effect on me. I thought Diablo and Diablo II were much harder games, even early.

Do you think it will change between now and release? Or do you think I'm wrong and it was paced nicely?

#2 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Blizzard: 

Normal difficulty is intentionally very easy. 
And this is especially true in the very first sections of the game. 
We want players to get used to the game, its mechanics, the hero they're using, and so forth.

Higher difficulty levels will be the real deal. Inferno is definitely not going to be a piece of cake. Tears will be shed. Lots of them. But the joy of overcoming these challenges will be huge indeed!

#3 Posted by yoshisaur (2606 posts) -

Does anyone read about betas anymore? The game was pretty much in it's tutorial stages, and perma-set to "VERY EASY."

#4 Posted by ichthy (468 posts) -

I'm okay with easier early game if they make the endgame stupid hard, which seems to be what they're doing with Inferno.

#5 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -

Try going back to Diablo 2. The first half of Act 1 is a cakewalk.

I'm sure Diablo 3 is going to be plenty hard, especially on Hell and Inferno.

#6 Posted by emem (1959 posts) -

Diablo 1 and 2 both were just as easy in the first chapter on normal difficulty (especially the first 1-2 hours were not hard at all), no idea what people are talking about... I would bet that 99 percent of the people who say that the game's too easy would not be able to beat the first chapter on inferno.

#7 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

Why don't they just call normal easy then? To make people feel better?

#8 Posted by el_tajij (705 posts) -

I think everyone's just REALLY GOOD at Diablo 3.

#9 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@blueduck said:

Precisely. No one wants to choose an easy difficulty, and also I don't think Normal will be a complete cakewalk it'll provide a relative challenge especially for those not familiar with the games. It's just that they don't want to alienate people who have never played a diablo game before, or those who aren't amazing at games. There are the higher difficulties levels for those that choose, and they have adequately bad-ass naming conventions such as inferno so you'll feel pretty good about beating it on Inferno.

#10 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Was it on normal? If so, that's your answer. Actually, is Nightmare and Hell still a thing in 3? D2 was never really hard. Just kinda grind heavy on some bosses. Especially the Ubers. Fuck them forever

#11 Posted by animathias (1160 posts) -

I never felt like I was in danger of dying for the first couple hours of Diablo or Diablo 2 on Normal either, and that was before I had a whole decade of extra gaming experience behind me. I don't think the very, very early parts of the older games are as difficult as you remember.

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Yes, but with good reason. Now shut up.

#13 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

im not buying it anymore as i think the whole game will be this easy.

then again i am an idiot with shit for brains so ignore me

#14 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -
@blueduck said:
Well another thing is that for Diablo games difficulty settings function slighly differently from traditional  ones.
In effect they are also what in other games are NG+ like Darksouls say. Not quite the same but there are similarities.
So everyone's first playthrough will be on normal, only afterwards you unlock further difficulties, which means there really isn't like am easy/normal/hard setting, just normal.
(however each new difficulty ups the ante by an order of magnitude, so that by Inferno you are shitting bricks)
#15 Posted by OldGuy (1492 posts) -

I died during the final fight... once... but that's because I went thru the whole thing without using any skills other than holding down the left mouse button and then pressing the shift key to stop moving and fire my auto aiming arrows at stuff till it died (playing Demon Hunter), so I wasn't even looking at my health...

But it was on normal (and as has been pointed out, D2 on normal at the beginning is stupid easy too).

What struck me was: 1) Wow, that... acting... Ren Faires and community theater are less stilted and try less hard with the Olde Acting Style and 2) "Magic Pants" makes me laugh every time I see it in my inventory. :-)

#16 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I think the context of the Diablo 3 beta and its content to what is going to be the full Diablo 3 experience at retail was waaay too hard to understand.

Apparently.

Having banged my head for countless hours against optional hardmodes, respectively oldschool blocker encounters, whilst low high end raiding in WoW way back when - I've no doubt Diablo 3 will become brutally hard.

#17 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

It's supposed to be easy. Remember how easy the first half of Act I was in Diablo II? Hell, even the whole first difficulty was a breeze for the most part.

#18 Posted by SamFo (1513 posts) -

If it was any harder people would complain it's too hard. I enjoyed getting used to the mechanics. Can't wait for the real game.

#19 Posted by Dredlockz (341 posts) -

Are you allowed to change the difficulty day 1? or are you supposed to finish the game to unlock the next difficulty like in D2?

#20 Posted by Koobz (364 posts) -

@Dredlockz said:

Are you allowed to change the difficulty day 1? or are you supposed to finish the game to unlock the next difficulty like in D2?

As I understand, you still have to finish the campaign on each difficulty, but judging just the beta, you can breeze through pretty damn fast on normal, especially if you just play co-op. For me, playthough times for the Beta were probably at least halved when playing in co-op, and I only played with randoms.

Additionally, unless they change things, you can easily be a jerk in co-op and let everyone else do all the leg-work and just teleport to the scripted boss battles when someone triggers the boss fight "ready-up" window (one person clicks the door to the boss fight, and everyone gets a pop-up window that asks if they want to teleport directly to the boss's room).

It lead to a common tactic in the beta where Demon Hunters would use their evade skill with one of their passives to essentially sprint about three or four minutes of fighting ahead of everyone else just to click the boss door and teleport them past those "extraneous" fights. Wizards and Witch Doctors unlock similar "run past all these mobs like a pro" skills at levels not available in the beta, but I imagine they'll be equally capable of skipping a bunch of combat as well.

So, you know, there are ways around playing the game if you want to play the game so bad that you don't want to play it.

#21 Posted by mikeeegeee (1549 posts) -

@Koobz said:

So, you know, there are ways around playing the game if you want to play the game so bad that you don't want to play it.

This made me smile. And when, months down the road, the Real Money Auction House becomes a larger focus, those means of getting around the game will become well known and well worn.

#22 Posted by Scrawnto (2432 posts) -

@Koobz said:

@Dredlockz said:

As I understand, you still have to finish the campaign on each difficulty, but judging just the beta, you can breeze through pretty damn fast on normal, especially if you just play co-op. For me, playthough times for the Beta were probably at least halved when playing in co-op, and I only played with randoms.

Additionally, unless they change things, you can easily be a jerk in co-op and let everyone else do all the leg-work and just teleport to the scripted boss battles when someone triggers the boss fight "ready-up" window (one person clicks the door to the boss fight, and everyone gets a pop-up window that asks if they want to teleport directly to the boss's room).

It lead to a common tactic in the beta where Demon Hunters would use their evade skill with one of their passives to essentially sprint about three or four minutes of fighting ahead of everyone else just to click the boss door and teleport them past those "extraneous" fights. Wizards and Witch Doctors unlock similar "run past all these mobs like a pro" skills at levels not available in the beta, but I imagine they'll be equally capable of skipping a bunch of combat as well.

Hmm.. I might do that. And if I skip enough combat, I might get to where I'm underleveled enough to make the game a challenge even on Normal.

#23 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

I laughed when blizzard showed the same early section from Diablo 2, the mobs didnt even attack the player and when they did a short walk back would send them back to idling, they had a theory that people simply arent remembering those very early stages.

#24 Posted by TJSmash (83 posts) -

First 2 hours of a game with 4 difficulty settings is easy, news at 11.

#25 Posted by Zealousadonis (133 posts) -

Just need a boss like Duriel where if your internet is running slow he'll kill you before the room loads!

#26 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1581 posts) -

I'm a little ashamed to admit I died once as the demon hunter. She was pretty cool, but I found her more challenging than the other classes I tried. Maybe it was my equipment.

#27 Posted by EXTomar (4444 posts) -

I'd rather see a game start "too easy" with the feature to increase difficulty later. Doing it the other way around is proven way to get players to abandon and never finish games.

#28 Posted by MrSlapHappy (178 posts) -

I'll let you know next Tuesday

#29 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Normal will be easy in the retail game too. Diablo 3 is aiming for anyone with a pocket calculator and up.

#30 Posted by gamefreak9 (2335 posts) -

I finished Diablo 2 on normal without ever dying so NO D3 is not too easy, its just like the older ones, I can't imagine dying in Diablo 1 b4 the butcher! Actually I thought Leoric was just the right difficulty, i'm pretty sure the intended level to fight him is 7 or 8 and at those levels my wizard was probably 5-6 hits to dead? Needed me to be careful anyway so it was fine. i think lots of people over levelled their chars so they thought It was too easy. I got a 20dps sword with my barb level 13 and razed leoric in 4-5 seconds.

#31 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -

@BruceLeeSoapdish said:

I know the beta was the very beginning of the game and it ended shortly, but did anyone else think Diablo III was WAY too easy? I never once felt like I might die on any of the classes. I don't know if Blizzard simply lowered the difficulty for the beta so they wouldn't scare people away, but the light difficulty had the opposite effect on me. I thought Diablo and Diablo II were much harder games, even early.

Do you think it will change between now and release? Or do you think I'm wrong and it was paced nicely?

Easy compared to what? The Diablo 1 and 2 early game periods seemed far easier. We beta tested a tutorial, it was supposed to be easy. The real challenge comes from the other difficulty levels but I am sure the normal difficulty will become more challenging as you progress as well.

#32 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

It seemed like a normal difficulty in single player that was intended to ramp up through the course of the game. By the boss of the first chapter, I could see that it was progressing acceptably. Of course, it was a faceroll in co-op, which was annoying mostly because that meant that everyone was just running in whatever direction they felt like, but whatevs. Even that will get harder.

#33 Posted by Corvak (831 posts) -

If its anything like D2, which didnt really get hard until the very end of Act 4, its to be expected.

The higher difficulty levels are what is supposed to deliver the real difficulty in a diablo game - anyone can just run through normal and beat it once.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.