When Can I Download?

#1 Posted by Extortion (33 posts) -

Does anyone know if Blizz is allowing people to download the game a day or so early so digital owners can start playing right at midnight PST? I believe they did something similar to this with Starcraft 2 where you could download and install it on Monday but if you loaded it up before Tuesday you would just get an error message saying Battle.net isn't available to sctivate your copy.

#2 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

That would be nice

#3 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

uh.. i already have the client.   Just go into your battle.net account and download the installer.

#4 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

You can download it now.

You just can't install it.

#5 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Yep, its sitting on my computer ready to play now.

#6 Posted by wemibelec90 (1621 posts) -

You can download the installer right now from your Battle.net page. It will download the whole game and then bring up the installer, telling you that you cannot install the game until its release. That should mean that on Tuesday, all you have to do is run it again and then install.

#7 Posted by Extortion (33 posts) -

Great! Now I just have to decide how to spend these last remaining hours of free time before it all disappears for the next year or so...

#8 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1611 posts) -

I think they're also opening up the installer on Monday.

Yep: "We will be unlocking the game's installer at 8:01 a.m. PDT on May 14. This will allow you to begin installing the game, troubleshoot any issues you run into, download and install the launch day 1.0.1 patch, and be ready to play as soon as the servers come online."

#9 Posted by Nux (2328 posts) -

Yep, I have the installer.

#10 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

| Diablo III: European Release |

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Blizzard has stated that the release of Diablo III is the actual moment when they 'unlock' the live game servers. This is one and the same thing. Beforehand, you will be allowed to install the game and update it with Patch 1.0.1.

Diablo III will be installable for the European region on:

14 May 2012, at 08:01 CEST.Diablo III will be released for the European region on:

15 May 2012, at 00:01 CEST.

(CEST = Central European Summer Time, aka 'Paris Time')

In all parts of Europe, Diablo III will therefore be installable and release at the same time. There are no countries or locations within the European region that will be eligible to play Diablo III before or after you. However, due to different timezones, your local time may be different:

By country

Iceland, Azores: 14th May, 22:01 (install: 14th May, 06:01)UK, Ireland, Portugal: 14th May, 23:01 (install: 14th May, 07:01)Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Andorra, Spain, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, FYR Macedonia, Albania, Norway, Sweden: 15th May, 00:01 (install: 14th May, 08:01)Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus: 15th May, 01:01 (install: 14th May, 09:01)

By timezone

GMT/UTC (= CEST-2): 14th May, 22:01BST/GMT+1 (= CEST-1): 14th May, 23:01CEST/GMT+2 (= CEST): 15th May, 00:01EEST/GMT+3 (= CEST+1): 15th May, 01:01

Aforementioned dates and times will be called 'launch' below.

| Diablo III: Russian Release |

``````````````````````````````````````````````

Blizzard has stated that citizens of the (European part of) Russia will have a seperate release date set at 8 June 2012 for both digital (downloaded) and retail.

#11 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

Does this apply to people buying retail? Because we don't have anything open at midnight to buy games here and wouldn't mind downloading and not installing via disc

#12 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

they have links to downloads of all the installers on Neogaf.

#13 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

So I've got the my retail box in the mail and cannot install yet. That's how it's supposed to be? Has me worried a bit. Also - should I go to my Battlenet account and register my copy or is that something I do during the install process? Because this way, Battlenet's gonna get hammered like crazy, when they open the gates all at once.

Oh well, guess I'll install it after the GW2 stresstest ends, should give the masses 2 hours time to get all the shit sorted out, and the vast majority of Europeans will be in fast asleep in bed.

#14 Posted by Fattony12000 (7281 posts) -
#15 Posted by Giefcookie (598 posts) -

No box in the mail today so its GW2 stress testing all night, then Diablo when I wake up tomorrow.

#16 Posted by niko555 (119 posts) -

You can start installing now it seems

But when i start the install it just says an unexpected error ocurred ):

#17 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -
@niko555 said:

You can start installing now it seems

But when i start the install it just says an unexpected error ocurred ):

Try starting as an admin, I'm installing right now.
#18 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Where do you get your game key to activate?

#19 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

installing now .. dat installer music

if you purchased it digitally then you already have it active

#20 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@mosdl: If you bought it online, it's attached to your account already and you're good. Keys are only if you didn't buy directly from Blizzard's site.

#21 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Yay, error during install, time to redownload

#22 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

ahh sitting at the login screen , watched the cinematic twice eheh .. gonna get some goood rest and non looking at a computer screen time tomorrow then be ready to kill me some diablo yo

#23 Edited by emem (1965 posts) -
@envane said:

ahh sitting at the login screen , watched the cinematic twice eheh .. gonna get some goood rest and non looking at a computer screen time tomorrow then be ready to kill me some diablo yo

Only 6 hours and 6 minutes left, enough time to take a looong nap, though. ;)
#24 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Yay - Diablo 3 activated for my account and it's installing as we speak. Midnight can come.

GW2's stresstest is going to start any minute now. Good times!

#25 Posted by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

I assume it's launching at midnight PST, right?

#26 Posted by Panpipe (473 posts) -

Can't wait to play tonight. Starts at 11pm in the UK which is extra nice, so much for midnight launch!

I'll be playing solo campaign first, but it'd be cool to get a group of Bombers together and get some looting done. Perhaps a Good Luck Have Baal club?

#27 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Gotta download 3GB of English VOs. Good I thought about it now, rather than later.

#28 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

I assume it's launching at midnight PST, right?

Nope GMT+1 00:01 AM worldwide. I believe that's 2 PM PST this afternoon (on the 14th). There's a post in this thread with a copy 'n paste of the specifics for each region.

#29 Posted by Bocam (3712 posts) -

@Seppli: No it's launching at midnight PDT

#30 Edited by Ben_H (3338 posts) -

This is one of the few cases where the P2P part of the Blizzard downloader is actually good. I'm getting ~10MB/s. Usually for older games you have to disable P2P or it'll take a week to download. 

@Bocam said:

@Seppli: No it's launching at midnight PDT

That's what is says on the Diablo 3 site (well, 12:01 PDT on the 15th to be exact), so like 2AM for me, so I won't be playing until tomorrow. 

Edit: Great it gave me an error during install and now I have to redownload, WONDERFUL. Meh, it's already 1/7th done and has around 10 minutes left, at least it's redownloading fast.
#31 Posted by Capum15 (4870 posts) -

After a harry moment during install (had to run the downloader again to check the files and fix one, happy I don't have to redownload), and after watching the intro movie, I am now ready to begin Diablo 3.

...in about 13 hours. So yes, you can download and install now.

#32 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Just for a few of you that may not be aware of the downloaded installer issue thats hitting a few of the regions, EU and a couple of others require you to download a new installer from this location, and point it to the directory you downloaded the original one to. You should see it 'check' rather than download the 8 gigs all the way to the end and then download the missing 50mb of files from the packed installer.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4410912/

Had 3 mates fall prey to 'broken installs' that were not aware of this extra download. hope everyone has an awesome launch :D 3 and a half hours to go!!

#33 Posted by Ben_H (3338 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:

Just for a few of you that may not be aware of the downloaded installer issue thats hitting a few of the regions, EU and a couple of others require you to download a new installer from this location, and point it to the directory you downloaded the original one to. You should see it 'check' rather than download the 8 gigs all the way to the end and then download the missing 50mb of files from the packed installer.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4410912/

Had 3 mates fall prey to 'broken installs' that were not aware of this extra download. hope everyone has an awesome launch :D 3 and a half hours to go!!

I had this issue with the installer twice but rather than getting the new installer I just forced it to check all the files and it fixed it and installed perfectly. The only thing is that it seems to think I'm European/British (I think they gave me the wrong installer on Battlenet. My installer was called enGB rather than enUS) and it says in the client the game unlocks for me at 00:00 CEST, which is in an hour and a bit, rather than when it should for me, which is 00:00 PDT.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.