Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

why isnt there an open beta

d00dCOMEON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By d00dCOMEON

they said there was going to be one,

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Betas are for testing, I'm assuming their closed beta provided sufficient feedback.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Betas are for testing, I'm assuming their closed beta provided sufficient feedback.

Yeah it's Blizz, probably got all the balance info they needed. As for net code and such things most betas test, I'm pretty sure Blizzard knows what they're doing.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By scarace360

Cause they dont need an open beta.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Mystyr_E

Because then the people who opted-in to every damn beta for months (like me) won't have anything to be depressed about

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By fox01313

An open beta of something as big (for Blizzard) as D3 would just lead to hell of a lot more piracy of the game or people playing the beta so much they might not buy it. Open betas are better for an MMO where there's a lot of progression after the beta time period. Considering the game is more likely coming out in a couple months with a possible demo, that little more time is an easy wait compared to the 'who knows when it will be done' timeframe that it's been at for just about forever. Also they want the hype of a sequel to a beloved game of Diablo2 with people buying it to find out more, if everyone tried out the open beta they might lose some people who are disappointed with D3.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By FateOfNever

@d00dCOMEON said:

they said there was going to be one,

I'm going to say "No they didn't" because Blizzard hasn't done an actual open beta for... probably anything. They've done opt-in betas, and they don't keep their betas under NDAs really, but they're not an "open beta" type company. If you can provide actual evidence that they said they would do a full on open beta though, by all means, provide it. Until then though, color me doubtful that they said such a thing.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Irvandus said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Yeah it's Blizz, probably got all the balance info they needed. As for net code and such things most betas test, I'm pretty sure Blizzard knows what they're doing.

I love your avatar.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By xxNBxx

The Closest thing you will get to a open beta will come with in a few weeks before the release, when they do a Stress Test of their servers. They will just about invite everyone that checked the "I want to participate" box on their B.net account profile.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I finally got into the beta, played through it with a few characters.. and will now be absolutely sick of Act 1 when the game comes out.

The game is really good, but you're not missing out on anything by not being in the beta. I'd stop worrying about and just wait for the full game.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Because what point would it have to have a lot of your customers be totally burned out of the first third of Act 1 when the game comes out?

The Beta is not there to provide fun in the same way the full game will after release, people wouldn't do themselves a favor playing that very first part again and again (I for one couldn't resist and am now somewhat burned out of playing the beta ;P )

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rotnac

Whether or not Blizz said there would be an open beta, does it really matter at this point if there is none? The full game comes out in less than two months now (woot!).

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Beta's are not demo's.

Not implying you said that, but that seems to be the general consesus nowadays.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Gargantuan

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Beta's are not demo's. Not implying you said that, but that seems to be the general consesus nowadays.

Exactly! I played the Path of Exile public stress test weekend and people were complaining about server crashes.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Kiri90

@WinterSnowblind said:

I finally got into the beta, played through it with a few characters.. and will now be absolutely sick of Act 1 when the game comes out.

The game is really good, but you're not missing out on anything by not being in the beta. I'd stop worrying about and just wait for the full game.

I have played through the beta 3 times already, with two different characters, and I'm afraid I'll tire myself out on that part of Act I if I keep playing. Decisions, decisions...

*Breaks down and boots up the beta after talking about the game*

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By mike

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Beta's are not demo's. Not implying you said that, but that seems to be the general consesus nowadays.

I think developers are to blame for that, though...especially when there are "multiplayer betas" for console first person shooters only weeks before retail.

It sounds cooler to advertise "Early Beta access" than "Early Demo access".

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kiri90

@MB: I have to agree with you. Some games seem to have their betas the week before it launches, that's not a beta to me...that's a demo. Something like what D3 or Gears 3 did is a beta.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedRavN

I think they don't have a beta because they want you to pre-order the game. They want people to impulse buy, not to be curious then play the beta and decide the game is not for them.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@MB: I agree.
    But it gets a little shaky when I see people complain to no end about glitches and errors in the beta, not filing reports or describing the issue, no just plain hate about a feature or decision they don't agree with.
    While there's fans out there who want to write error reports for the game they love until their fingers bleed.

So yeah, both are too blame, basically.
    Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Nentisys

@fox01313 said:

An open beta of something as big (for Blizzard) as D3 would just lead to hell of a lot more piracy of the game

What?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TobbRobb

Sorry bro, not going to be an open one.

I could probably answer any questions you have about it though. I played through it with every class once and some of them several times because of co op.

kf7soviet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kf7soviet

@Nentisys said:

@fox01313 said:

An open beta of something as big (for Blizzard) as D3 would just lead to hell of a lot more piracy of the game

What?

you can't pirate d3 anyway, its exclusively online like WoW

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.