Worth Coming Back If You Got A Dollar - Stupid Easy

#1 Edited by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

Being on military leave while waiting for orders is boring as fuck. It gets you doing nothing during the day because friends are all working (because that's what normal adults do), so I figure I try out Diablo III again after playing in June-ish.

First off, they changed a lot. They added this shit called "Monster Power" which boosts the mobs to insane power but gives better exp and drops. They also added 100 new levels so now your level cap is 160. Shit crazy.

Regardless, I was under-geared...like very under geared. So I tried out the real money to gold on the AH, and go figure one dollar gets you about 4 million gold. 4 million gold is stupid good for passable gear to get you through the game on Inferno.

I was able to solo MP3 without much trouble and in groups I can tackle on MP6-7, I tried MP10 with random people and they just spent the game raising me after each fight/boss.

So, if you're working and have responsibilities like all sane adults, it's a cool idea to spend a buck to get good gear and try the new shit.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/KaosAngel-1860/hero/3387407

My Toon, For About A Dollar

If you want to get back into Diablo III and be willing to part ways with a bag of chips or a twinkie or even an iOS game...it's pretty good idea. Buy basic gear to get through the farming and then farm you good gear from there. It's still fun.

#2 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Would you say that this game is more or less shitty than Sim City?

#3 Edited by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

@mcghee said:

Would you say that this game is more or less shitty than Sim City?

It works when I want it to...and it saves my data on time.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

KaosAngel! Coming in with good advise for once. Diablo III is great- but I had my fill when it was new and the friends I played with obviously aren't playing anymore.

#5 Posted by Andorski (5370 posts) -

Eh... something about that just seems wrong. They raised the ceiling on the game's hardest difficulty. This then makes Insanity relatively easier in the game's difficulty spectrum. But I would still need to spend money in the RMAH in order to progress?

Yeah, it's just a dollar. I just have an issue with it based on principle. Have they improved loot drop progression to the point where I can just gear myself the old fashion way and progress through areas without hitting brick walls at certain moments?

#6 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

Blizzard has done a lot of nerfing down the difficulty in Inferno and such Diablo 3 is much more playable than it was when it originally released. Adding prestige and monster levels is an ingenious change that makes me wonder why it wasn't added in the first place.

#7 Edited by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

@andorski: Yes. You can get gear you want, the drops are good. On MP3 almost all the drops are gold. You won't find legendary but if you want gear to work with you'll get it without the AH if you farm lower levels MP1-3. Maybe it seems wrong but it's just a dollar. I passed on a bag of Doritos.

@toowalrus: Try again and go to the Chat Channels....the game is still highly active. There's a lot of people playing but if you aren't level 60 it's going to be almost empty. Everyone is on end-game.

#8 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

So for 1 dollar I can get a bunch of awesome gear that would take me forever to get if I just played normally? That sounds awful for a game that is really just about getting awesome loot for your character.

I'll just go play Torchlight 2 where it feels like I'm getting an awesome piece of new equipment every 5 or 10 minutes.

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

@kaosangel: I've got a level 60 Wizard, though half the fun of Diablo III was hanging out on Skype with three other people playing through the night. I'm not really interested in playing with randoms. If I was fresh to the game though, using the real money auction house is exactly what I'd be doing.

#10 Edited by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

@fearbeard: N

o. It's not proper end game gear. If you haven't played since Summer chances are your gear is going to be shit and you'll hate the way they changed the difficulty. They added 10 extra difficulty levels which are giant steps apart from each other. You CANNOT do the high difficulties with just a dollar. The dollar just helps you get starting gear on the lower advance difficulties so you can at least survive. Everyone playing now is almost always on the higher difficulties so it's really hard to find a group who can farm with you on lower difficulties.

The dollar just brings you up to level with the average base. You sure as hell won't be able to survive solo in anything past MP5+, but MP2-4 is the sweetspot to farm for higher end gear if you got average gear.

#12 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -
#13 Posted by Bocam (3833 posts) -

Is the gold exchange rate really that low? Diablo 3 sure did change since the last time I played it

#14 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6168 posts) -

Love the 25 cents per million shenanigans, even more amusing considering it's still completely impossible to farm serviceable gear for yourself (without already having said gear). Auction House: The Game.

#15 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

Meh, I have gotten two legendary drops just running around in Act 3 and 4 Inferno in a week. I don't know if I would bother to spend real money.

#16 Posted by ShaggE (6727 posts) -

I felt dirty even using the (gold) AH to buy an amulet... dropping money on gold? Nah, nah. The fun of Diablo is the pursuit of loot. The jacked drop rates mean I'll probably never have the best stuff (or even notably good stuff), but that's fine, as it gives me something to keep playing for.

This is all just me, of course. I pass no judgment on those that use the AH. In fact, I totally understand.

#17 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

The important thing Blizzard did is the paragon level where each level is continual stat improvement along with 3% more basic magic find. Sacrificing performance for Magic Find never seemed to feel like the right thing yet the game forced it. Now everyone regardless of how hard core they are can get access to the gear if they put time into leveling.

#18 Edited by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

@fearbeard: N

o. It's not proper end game gear. If you haven't played since Summer chances are your gear is going to be shit and you'll hate the way they changed the difficulty. They added 10 extra difficulty levels which are giant steps apart from each other. You CANNOT do the high difficulties with just a dollar. The dollar just helps you get starting gear on the lower advance difficulties so you can at least survive. Everyone playing now is almost always on the higher difficulties so it's really hard to find a group who can farm with you on lower difficulties.

The dollar just brings you up to level with the average base. You sure as hell won't be able to survive solo in anything past MP5+, but MP2-4 is the sweetspot to farm for higher end gear if you got average gear.

Ok, even worse... If you need to spend a dollar to get starting gear for the advanced difficulties then obviously the balance in the game is way off. The bad loot drop balance and reliance on the Auction House to get useful gear was the reason I stopped playing Diablo 3 in the first place.

#19 Edited by ajamafalous (12166 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

Love the 25 cents per million shenanigans, even more amusing considering it's still completely impossible to farm serviceable gear for yourself (without already having said gear). Auction House: The Game.

Not at all true. I bought my friend the game in January and we played through 1-60, both never going to the Auction House at any point. I did it as an experiment just to prove to myself that it could be done. I even did it on a DH, arguably the worst class right now. By the time he finished Inferno once, he had more than enough gold to go buy some basic gear on the AH to start farming MP3, and within a few days he was running MP4, then 5, then 6.

I feel like most of the people still talking shit about Diablo III haven't played it since May/June.

#20 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

The fact that no one posted this yet is heart breaking.

#21 Posted by Metzo_Paino (322 posts) -

I've not played Diablo 3 since release, and having paid £50 for it I'm starting to feel bad about it.

Might jump back in, though I'm only level 45.

#22 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

@fearbeard: You could just play without the AH and sell your drops to vendors. No one is stopping you from getting drops, and it's even easier due to paragon levels.

#23 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6168 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Yes and you did it with terrible gear and an excessive amount of tedium; hell I beat original Inferno with 95% self found/crafted gear; back when everything one shot you (pre 1.03); that doesn't fix or solve the problems.

#24 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Yes and you did it with terrible gear and an excessive amount of tedium; hell I beat original Inferno with 95% self found/crafted gear; back when everything one shot you (pre 1.03); that doesn't fix or solve the problems.

I liked the game during that time :D

I never felt the game needed nerfing. I honestly think its sad that companies *nerf* things now. Hell I remember playing demon's souls when it first came out and no one could get past the first area or even get close to the first boss. Now I speed run both demon's and dark souls for shits and giggles to try and see if I too can make a 30-40min run.

#25 Edited by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Just goes to show you how messed up the gear, AH, and what-have-you...MP3 is stock Inferno that came out at launch. Everyone can solo that shit with basic gear from the AH now. Builds to get through MP3 is considered shit right now. Let that sink in.

Gear that could get you barely through original Inferno is considered weak as fuck now.

#26 Edited by ajamafalous (12166 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

The gear was fine; mostly rares. There was no tedium at all. Like I said, you should probably play the game again before you talk about it, because they've made a significant number of changes since June.

I also beat Inferno Diablo at the beginning of June pre-1.03 (on a Barb, no less, which was my second 60), so your "I'm better than you" claim doesn't really hold water.

#27 Edited by golguin (4064 posts) -

I stopped playing Diablo 3 when I got to Inferno Ghom and I simply did not have the equipment to survive the DPS fight. I couldn't farm the earlier levels because it didn't drop good gear, I wasn't going to waste my time trying to farm the higher levels, and I didn't have the gold to purchase the weapons and equipment I needed (I knew what was required to beat him).

That's when Diablo 3 lost me and I never went back. No amount of skill or planning can get you through simply not having the gear to progress.

#28 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -
#29 Posted by jakob187 (21771 posts) -

They raised the level cap by 100 levels?

My goodness. They really jumped the shark on this game.

I might go back and play it at some point, just to level up. Actually, no. No, I won't. I'll just go play more Path of Exile.

#30 Edited by StudsMcKewl (79 posts) -

I did this and played through the game another time with a buddy. I even went as far as to spend 2 whole dollars. It's still pretty fun. I was gonna keep playing and then Tomb Raider came out and then HOTS came out and Bioshock comes out in 2 weeks and I still need to finish Dark Souls....................

#31 Edited by Ben_H (3444 posts) -

I went back and played this recently after not playing since June (got a new Mac, wanted to see how it ran games. It ran this on all high very well. Going from a Core2Duo with integrated graphics to an quadcore i7 and 650M is a big step), and yeah it is crazy how much everything has changed. I was just at the end of Hell difficulty when I quit so jumping in now seems perfect. I don't know about using the Auction House though I may have to because I am kinda stuck at this one boss on Hell and it seems like it will be a challenge to beat without beefing up my gear a bit.

#32 Posted by gamefreak9 (2420 posts) -

@shagge:@fredchuckdave:

@andorski:

Just to point this out, the way they made the new crafting stuff, you can get good gear without the AH. The recipes for archon armor are account bound, so even if you don't have them you can buy those at the AH, and following the laws of economics, they are REALLY cheap, like 1k each recipe. So you can roll amazing gear, and its not low probability either because they have some stats that come automatically, for instance, the Archon armor of strength, comes with 200-230 strength and 5 random attributes, in my case it only needs to have some vitality and resist all to get a hit, this is maybe like 10 rolls at maximum to get something better than what I have.There are also amulet and ring recipes with the same great thinking, and if you absolutely don't want to use the AH, these recipes are actually very common drops now, I played for an hour yesterday and got 3 of them. Though the legendary/set ones are probably still very rare since they go for millions in the AH even if the item is account bound!

#33 Edited by FaPaThY (139 posts) -

No one probably will even read this, but don't buy the gold on the RMAH. It's overpriced. Instead, buy one of the RS gems for $1-$1.50 and you can sell that gem for 20-23mil gold(Check the trading forum for people buying them so you don't have to lose 15% in fees).

That's what I did when I came back. Still had a couple bucks of B.net balance left from some small sales before I quit, bought an RS Emerald for $1.38, sold on the trading forum for 22.5mil.

#34 Edited by LethalKi11ler (1428 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.