Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Digimon World

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 23, 2000

Digimon world is a game that allows a player to raise their own Digimon and teach it to battle.

Deepish Look: Digimon World- Potty Training And Reincarnation

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Hey Duders,

Here is a Deepish Look! My usual Deep Look videos focus in on a cool gameplay mechanic or story element from a game I have played the heck out of, in the hopes that I can share what makes that mechanic so cool. This Deepish Look is a bit less critical and a bit more review-y or Quick Look-y. I still try to give some good insight into the game I'm playing, but this video is geared a little bit towards people who may not have played the game in question. Also I aim to keep the videos under 20 minutes.

In this Deepish Look I check out Digimon World for the PS1 and show off the game's unique digital pet + adventure structure. I point out some of the cool systems that Digimon World pioneered and explain how the game remains unique to this day. Join me as I digivolve my Penguinmon and feed Digshrooms to Digimon all over the Digi-place.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 thatpinguino  Staff

I don't think Digimon World 2 really merits highlighting since it became a lot more pokemon/ rpg forcused, but do any of the later games in the series ever get back to the digital pet features from the original game? I dropped off of this series after 2 and Digimon World really seemed to be unique.

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Going start watching now but if your Digimon doesn't change into a giant turd i will be disappointed!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

@shikon: I'm sorry then: my penguin turned into a giant snowbear. Though it is pretty funny that the punishment for not taking your digimon to the toilet is having it turn into a giant poop monster. You are what you poop.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino: The only other Digimon World game like this was that quasi-remake they did on psp/3ds called Digimon World: Re digitize (only came out in japan though).Each of the other Digimon World games ended up being its own unique thing that was quite different from the others so I give them credit for that but I sure would have liked to see them expand more on this original concept since I really liked this game.

This game might be my favorite game on the PS1. The digital pet + adventure structure of this game was and still is so damn unique. Never fully understood all the specifics of the evolution system (could never get a Greymon...) but it still fascinated me nonetheless. Sure would be nice if they ever got around to localizing that quasi-remake (though I hear that there has been a lot of progress on a fan translation so there's always that).

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

Thanks for the video! Only thing is that I wish you'd gone more in depth into it, i.e. shown more scenarios/dungeons, a further developed town, etc.

I remember really liking this game when I was a kid, but never getting too far into it. My digimon tended to evolve into those big yellow poops and six year old me couldn't figure out why!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thatpinguino  Staff

@snail: I can certainly still do that! I just figured there would be literally no audience for the in-depth stuff. Your digimon turn into poop monsters when you don't take your digimon to the toilet when they need to poop. If they poop on the ground enough times they just turn into a sukamon (which is a giant yellow poop with a mouth). There are a few digivolutions that occur when you screw up, like your rookie can digivolve into a ghost digimon if they lose a battle and your baby can turn into a kunemon if you let it sleep in kunemon's bed. There are a ton of poorly explained systems hidden behind obfuscatory dialog. Yay 90s translation teams!

@roboculus92: Huh, I thought all of the Digimon Worlds after 1 followed the dungeon crawler formula that 2 used, but I guess there was more to this series than I thought. The digivolution system is based on your digimon's stats, weight, and sometimes some special factors and digivolution happens after a certain number of days. So to get a Greymon you need an Agumon with almost every stat over 100 by the time its rookie stage ends. The game really does a bad job of explaining things, but that is what is happening under the hood.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You should do one of these on the Chao Garden from Sonic Adventure 2.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thatpinguino  Staff

@corevi: Those Chao (Chaos? Chaoses?) are the freaking worst. They take a bunch of time and effort to raise and they give you almost nothing other than the satisfaction of a job well done. I did manage to subvert the system by transferring a Chao from my Sonic Adventure 2 save (where raising a Chao was much easier) to sonic GBA game and then I transfered from there to my Sonic Adventure 1 save. It might have been the other way around, but in either case I felt like a thief and a genius.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thatpinguino: That's the only way to get the Gold and Silver chaos into Sonic Adventure 2.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@corevi: What an amazing system! Not since the FFVIII/ Pocket Station functionality have I seen a more obtuse way to access mediocre benefits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.