Should Dinosaurs Be Given Feathers Now?

• 80 results
#1 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Sup readers of Giant Bomb, 

I realized recently that Dinosaurs had feathers back in the day and were more like birds than lizards.  Fun fact, birds are the distant relatives of dinosaurs NOT lizards.  As crazy as that sounds.   

So, do you feel games (and other media) should start showing dinosaurs with feathers rather than all lizard like? 

What's hilarious is that Monster Hunter is the only one that did it properly...and I think they did it by mistake too.  :| 

Fun Fact - What Dinosaurs Are Supposed To Look Like
#2 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

Yes, I think they look cooler

#3 Posted by Borodin (416 posts) -

Yes, because then they'd be easier to set aflame :D

#4 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

I think there needs to be more dinosaur games in general.

#5 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -

No, they look stupid and cartoony. They're not nearly as scary looking.

#6 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

I know that science is proving that my beloved T-Rex now looks like this: 

Bu videogames should ALWAYS make them look like this: 

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I dunno, they're scarier if they're just scales, cause it's more... armor-like I guess. Harder to fight.  

Though I think that yes, more people should know it's very likely that most things we've been taught about dinosaurs is becoming outdated. 

#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Feathery dinosaurs look kind of lame, but I want more(good) dinosaur games in general. I don't care if they are realistic looking or badass looking.

#9 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

For the flying ones definitely, and for the rest they should be given feathers in a way that a bear is given fur. Its there but shouldn't be the main focus of it. 

#10 Posted by PufferFiz (1376 posts) -

Fuck scientists

#11 Posted by EveretteScott (1449 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Sup readers of Giant Bomb, 

I realized recently that Dinosaurs had feathers back in the day and were more like birds than lizards.  Fun fact, birds are the distant relatives of dinosaurs NOT lizards.  As crazy as that sounds.   

So, do you feel games (and other media) should start showing dinosaurs with feathers rather than all lizard like? 

What's hilarious is that Monster Hunter is the only one that did it properly...and I think they did it by mistake too.  :| 

Fun Fact - What Dinosaurs Are Supposed To Look Like
"
YOU realized? Are you a scientist, how did you figure out such a thing by yourself?!
#12 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

This is why we have to clone them.

#13 Posted by MattyFTM (14341 posts) -

For all we knmow, Dinosuars were bright pink or flourescent green or something. We know nothing about their external appearance , aside from their general shape, because of their skeleton.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by Hector (3355 posts) -
I prefer a huge meat eating lizard then a egg laying giant chicken!
#15 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -
@PufferFiz said:
" Fuck scientists "
agreed, just follow Jurassic Park people everything will be fine.
#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" For all we knmow, Dinosuars were bright pink or flourescent green or something. We know nothing about their external appearance , aside from their general shape, because of their skeleton. "
We know they had feathers.
#17 Edited by Cogzwell (227 posts) -

Not all dinosaurs were feathered. It is believe that more were then we actually thought, but so far only relatives of dinosaurs like velociraptor and other leaner, running dinosaur have been proven to have feathers. There's no proof that T-rex had feathers, nor is there much to suggest they did.

Given it's possible they could have been all feathered, we have probably even less evidence to say they were all scaled. I personally like the feathered dinosaurs, but there's no need to start throwing out your old "Dino-Dictionary" just because Baryonyx might have been suited up like a penguin. We just won't have to worry about feathered tricerotops.... because recent studies have proven that the species did not exist.

#18 Edited by SpacePenguin (476 posts) -

I personally would like to see this, would be pretty cool and I cant think of a game that has actualy done it.

#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Hector said:
"
I prefer a huge meat eating lizard then a egg laying giant chicken!
"
Yeah, Yoshi isn't much of a threat.
#20 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

I've heard about this feathers thing, it's just...I can't imagine a stegosaurus with feathers. I just can't.

#21 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@SpacePenguin Monster hunter did it.
#22 Posted by Magiczipper82 (93 posts) -
@Cogzwell said:
" Not all dinosaurs were feathered. It is believe that more were then we actually thought, but so far only relatives of dinosaurs like velociraptor and other leaner, running dinosaur have been proven to have feathers. There's no proof that T-rex had feathers, nor is there much to suggest they did.  Given it's possible they could have been all feathered, we have probably even less evidence to say they were all scaled. I personally like the feathered dinosaurs, but there's no need to start throwing out your old "Dino-Dictionary" just because Baryonyx might have been suited up like a penguin. We just won't have to worry about feathered tricerotops.... because recent studies have proven that the species did not exist. "
tricerotops... didn't exist? what?
#23 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" For all we knmow, Dinosuars were bright pink or flourescent green or something. We know nothing about their external appearance , aside from their general shape, because of their skeleton. "
We know they had feathers. "
How? All you've seen are their fossilized bones. Unless I missed the announcement that they found a live dinosaur encased in ice or something crazy like that. As far as I'm aware, scientists can't even piece together an entire strand of DNA, not that I follow any of this very closely. So I could be completely wrong in everything I'm thinking, but still.
#24 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

This is a ridiculous argument.  Everyone knows that fossils of dinosaurs with feathers were planted in the Earth by Satan to trick mankind into thinking dinosaurs were less awesome than they actually were.

#25 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
And for that reason, we should assume they all looked like blood red phoenixes.
#26 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Magiczipper82 said:
" @Cogzwell said:
" Not all dinosaurs were feathered. It is believe that more were then we actually thought, but so far only relatives of dinosaurs like velociraptor and other leaner, running dinosaur have been proven to have feathers. There's no proof that T-rex had feathers, nor is there much to suggest they did.  Given it's possible they could have been all feathered, we have probably even less evidence to say they were all scaled. I personally like the feathered dinosaurs, but there's no need to start throwing out your old "Dino-Dictionary" just because Baryonyx might have been suited up like a penguin. We just won't have to worry about feathered tricerotops.... because recent studies have proven that the species did not exist. "
tricerotops... didn't exist? what? "
Triceratops turned out to just be young skeletons for Torosaurous. So its not that they don't exist anymore so much as triceratops and torosaurus now refer to the same animal.
#27 Posted by ApertureSilence (1154 posts) -

The important thing we should be asking ourselves is "How do you know, scientist? Were you THERE!?"

#28 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Not all dinos had feathers.  Only those that would lead to birds later on.  A Tyrannosaur did not have feathers and neither did any of the sauropods.

#29 Posted by ApertureSilence (1154 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" Not all dinos had feathers.  Only those that would lead to birds later on.  A Tyrannosaur did not have feathers and neither did any of the sauropods. "
Apparently, early tyrannosaurids had feathers, but lost them as they evolved into the larger T-Rex we now know and love.
#30 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@TheHBK said:

" Not all dinos had feathers.  Only those that would lead to birds later on.  A Tyrannosaur did not have feathers and neither did any of the sauropods. "

Um no. Theropods had feathers, t-rex is a theropod. Wiki ain't that hard to use. They probably more resembled quills or fur on larger theropods. Even elephants aren't hairless because they evolved from something that had hair, kinda like the t-rex evolved from smaller theropods that had feathers. It would have residual feathers for the same reason it has tiny little arms. Non-avian theropods had feathers.
#31 Posted by Magiczipper82 (93 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Magiczipper82 said:
" @Cogzwell said:
Triceratops turned out to just be young skeletons for Torosaurous. So its not that they don't exist anymore so much as triceratops and torosaurus now refer to the same animal. "
Prove! I need prove! STOP DESTROYING MY CHILDHOOD.
#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -

No, because what is real is less important than what looks cool. Isn't that a basic law of the land?

#33 Posted by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

Hell no. 
Then they would taste like chicken, and I voted for beef.
#34 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Magiczipper82 said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Magiczipper82 said:
" @Cogzwell said:
Triceratops turned out to just be young skeletons for Torosaurous. So its not that they don't exist anymore so much as triceratops and torosaurus now refer to the same animal. "
Prove! I need prove! STOP DESTROYING MY CHILDHOOD. "
Look man. Put your tricerotops action figure in your box of broken dreams next to the brontasaurus. You gotta move on.
#35 Posted by bybeach (4724 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
"For all we knmow, Dinosuars were bright pink or flourescent green or something. We know nothing about their external appearance , aside from their general shape, because of their skeleton. "

Actually they have been very lucky a few times, and have seen the outlines at least of organs, and yes feathers. Also I think they have unbelievably at least one petrefied mummy, and bone from a t-rex to extract dna from. 

My feeling is many dinosaurs did have feathers, many not, maybe along family classification. there were at least 2 general groupings of dinos. 

Color of feathers,well IDK. Might be very different if the purpose was camouflage, heat retention, or showing off for a mate(florescent green agreed).
#36 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@TehFlan said:

" @CL60 said:

" @MattyFTM said:

We know they had feathers. "
How? All you've seen are their fossilized bones. Unless I missed the announcement that they found a live dinosaur encased in ice or something crazy like that. As far as I'm aware, scientists can't even piece together an entire strand of DNA, not that I follow any of this very closely. So I could be completely wrong in everything I'm thinking, but still. "
They've found fossils of them with feathers 
  Raptor
And there are mummified Dinosaurs found, not with feathers though as far as I know.

#37 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5101 posts) -

No.  At least for anything Jurassic Park related.

The raptors would have been small and it would look silly. 

#38 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

Yes.

#39 Posted by Magiczipper82 (93 posts) -

Didn't the raptors in the third Jurassic Park have feathers on their heads?

#40 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10466 posts) -

Dinosaurs look like pussies with feathers, so no. I'd rather have inaccurate, but badass dinosaurs. 

#41 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Magiczipper82 said:
" Didn't the raptors in the third Jurassic Park have feathers on their heads? "
You might be thinking of the TV show Walking with Dinosaurs, which gave a handful of small and medium sized theropods feathers. But not t-rexes, cus they weren't ready to ruin the mythology yet.
#42 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Bobby_The_Great said:

"
I know that science is proving that my beloved T-Rex now looks like this: 

Bu videogames should ALWAYS make them look like this: 

"

Not gonna lie, that looks pretty goddamn badass. Nice artisic rendition of the concept.

Usually I just go "NOOOOO MY CHILDHOOD" when people draw what dinosaurs probably actually looked like.
#43 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I don't believe in dinosaurs so it doesn't concern me.

#44 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -
@Bobby_The_Great:  Agreed 100%.  There's nothing scary about a "6 foot turkey" even when they do come with claws that will disembowel you.   These creatures need to look like monsters and scary monsters don't have feathers.  A lot of people have an innate fear of snakes and other scaly reptiles.  When dinosaurs look like modern reptiles, scales and all, it awakens that fear in us.   In order to maintain that subconscious fear, they should remain being the stuff of nightmares and not vittles from the colonel.   
 This isn't something I run from, it's something I serve with mashed potatoes and gravy.
#45 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@Bobby_The_Great: Don't you find the thought of a giant, carnivorous bird infinitely more terrifying than the images JP brought us? It looks like a goddamn killer-sparrow!

@KaosAngel: This was discovered aeons ago. Before Jurassic Park hit screens, I'm sure.  

That only puts you 18 years behind science, though. 

Here. Current affairs in science, should you require them. 

and finally... 

@PufferFiz said:
" Fuck scientists "
QFT.
#46 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Feathers? What would it matter? Now giving dinosaurs machine guns... that is a question for the ages.

#47 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" I don't believe in dinosaurs so it doesn't concern me. "
Dinosaur heaven is the highest level of heaven and you're never gonna be allowed in.
#48 Edited by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@CL60: Interesting. That's my mistake then. I still think all fictional mediums should portray them with scales, though. Way more menacing.
#49 Posted by ApertureSilence (1154 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" I don't believe in dinosaurs so it doesn't concern me. "
So your explanation for dinosaur fossils is "The devil put them there to trick us"?
#50 Posted by ProfessorEss (7278 posts) -

Pffft, dinosaurs.

If they were so badass they wouldn't be extinct.

Pussies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.