Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 2

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 08, 2009

DIRT 2 is part of the long-running rally-racing-series from Codemasters.

Visually AMAZING

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

Yeah so I just played the demo and while I was playing it, there was an orgy going on in my eyes. This game looks AMAZING. It may be the single best looking game I have ever played. I'm not usually into this kind of racing game, and the last Colin McRae game I bought was 2.0 for the PC but I'm giving serious thoughts to buying this game.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KillaMaStA

What are you talking about?

The graphics are totally average. Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5 look awesome. This is just another driving game

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By buzz_killington
    @KillaMaStA:
    Those games aren't even out yet. You can't (or shouldn't) judge how good looking a game is from gameplay footage.
    eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By eyehook

Dirt 2 is a beautiful game, particularly from the cockpit view.  Getting water, dirt and dust thrown up on your windshield really makes this game immersive.  It's definitely more arcade-y than Forza/GT, but I prefer that.  Beyond being beautiful its just a whole lot of fun.  I'd recommend it.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Just played the demo, and it looked awesome. I really love the water and mud splashing on windshield effect

Ironknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Ironknight
    @KillaMaStA said:
    " What are you talking about?  The graphics are totally average. Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5 look awesome. This is just another driving game "
    The PC version of Dirt 2 will look better then Forza and Gran Turismo
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KillaMaStA
    @Ironknight said:
    " @KillaMaStA said:
    " What are you talking about?  The graphics are totally average. Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5 look awesome. This is just another driving game "
    The PC version of Dirt 2 will look better then Forza and Gran Turismo "
    Well, Obviously. All games look better on the PC.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Karmum
    @KillaMaStA said:
    Is this coming from someone who hasn't even played DIRT 2, or just basing opinions from a demo? Besides, neither Forza 3 or GT5 have been released.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Venatio

Yeah it looks amazing, especially when playing with the cockpit view

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KillaMaStA
    @Karmum said:
    " @KillaMaStA said:
    Is this coming from someone who hasn't even played DIRT 2, or just basing opinions from a demo? Besides, neither Forza 3 or GT5 have been released. "
    Ive played the demo. And I dont get how it was "Visually Amazing". Sure it looked good because its a modern game but its still just average.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kmdrkul

It is indeed a fantastic looking game.  Especially the Malaysian levels.  If someone thinks this games graphics are just average, their standards are set far too high.  

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Akeldama
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @KillaMaStA: Those games aren't even out yet. You can't (or shouldn't) judge how good looking a game is from gameplay footage. "
    well how about judging it based on people playing the game at E3 ?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond
    @Ironknight said:

" @KillaMaStA said:

The PC version of Dirt 2 will look better then Forza and Gran Turismo "
    I'd disagree with that.  No amount of higher resolution rendering or tessellation will make Dirt 2 look better.

edit - I'll expand upon that to make it clear.  They'd need far better shaders and far better modelling (tessellation will just make models smoother, not better designed, basically it won't add detail) to make up for the difference in what I've seen between Dirt 2 and F3 or GT5.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Branthog

I just played this for a bit today and found the graphics reasonable, but not particularly impressive. The main problem - as I've found in all car games - is that when you look play from above-rear-view, the vehicals all still look, move, and feel like an enormous boat.

Also, like every game, it's geared toward being played from outside the car. All that work going on to make the cockpit look cool and add some realism is pointless when the game is almost completely unplayable from inside. You have mud, water, dust, rocks, cracked windshields, limited view, etc from inside. The realism is nice, but when the other vehicles have a leg-up on you because they're designed to compete against non-cockpit view playing (most people, probably) then you just don't feel compelled to do it.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Branthog said:
    " I just played this for a bit today and found the graphics reasonable, but not particularly impressive. The main problem - as I've found in all car games - is that when you look play from above-rear-view, the vehicals all still look, move, and feel like an enormous boat.  Also, like every game, it's geared toward being played from outside the car. All that work going on to make the cockpit look cool and add some realism is pointless when the game is almost completely unplayable from inside. You have mud, water, dust, rocks, cracked windshields, limited view, etc from inside. The realism is nice, but when the other vehicles have a leg-up on you because they're designed to compete against non-cockpit view playing (most people, probably) then you just don't feel compelled to do it. "
    The game is far from unplayable from inside the cockpit. I played most of the singleplayer campaign in first person view, and the cracked windows and mud just add another layer of challenge to the game and make it feel a lot more immersive. You're right that the cockpit view does put you at a disadvantage in multiplayer, though, but the fun of this game is mainly in the dirt tour anyway.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Binman88
    @jmrwacko said:
    " @Branthog said:
    " I just played this for a bit today and found the graphics reasonable, but not particularly impressive. The main problem - as I've found in all car games - is that when you look play from above-rear-view, the vehicals all still look, move, and feel like an enormous boat.  Also, like every game, it's geared toward being played from outside the car. All that work going on to make the cockpit look cool and add some realism is pointless when the game is almost completely unplayable from inside. You have mud, water, dust, rocks, cracked windshields, limited view, etc from inside. The realism is nice, but when the other vehicles have a leg-up on you because they're designed to compete against non-cockpit view playing (most people, probably) then you just don't feel compelled to do it. "
    The game is far from unplayable from inside the cockpit. I played most of the singleplayer campaign in first person view, and the cracked windows and mud just add another layer of challenge to the game and make it feel a lot more immersive. You're right that the cockpit view does put you at a disadvantage in multiplayer, though, but the fun of this game is mainly in the dirt tour anyway. "
    I agree, I find you have much more control from the first person perspective. Cracked windows aren't really a problem - chances are, the collision that caused the crack is going to have more of an effect on your stage time and podium position, rather than your visibility.
    Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Kibblez

I've been playing DiRT 2 from the cockpit view and have found no problems except during some of the darker tracks where it's a little tougher to see. otherwise, this game looks and plays fantastically!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.