Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

Dirt 3 vs Dirt 2: Why Dirt 3 is worse

• 71 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So, I've been giving it my best on Dirt 3, but there just wasn't that same excitement that Dirt 2 had, and still does have. This article expresses pretty much all of the same squabbles that I have with Dirt 3. I think I might sell it. 

Am i missing something? Does anyone else hate it here? Why shouldn't I sell it!? 

Other people feel the same way: 
    http://www.racedepartment.com/dirt-3/55751-dirt-3-visuals-big-disappointment.html 
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6869915 
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903142 

It seems to me that it's preferential in some ways.

Scarz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Scarz09

I am enjoying Dirt 3 more.
    Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Vexed

I would be enjoying Dirt 3 if it didn't crash at the loading screens =/
     I don't really agree with any of the points in the article.  The game just feels like more Dirt 2 to me, not a weaker game.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By KarlPilkington

Dirt 1 > Dirt 2 > Dirt 3 

Seriously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CaLe said:
    Dirt 3 makes me feel like a bad ass race car driver. Dirt 2 also did this but I didn't feel quite as bad ass. I enjoy Dirt 3 more.
    Do you race in-cockpit view with a racing wheel? I've tried it with the MS Racing Wheel, but it's way too difficult!
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

That article didn't articulate anything. It just threw out some general statements. Kind of sounds like the writer just doesn't like change. Should've voted republican. 

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

What a laughable "article". Those points are beyond ridiculous "Dirt 2 looks like Crysis 2, Dirt 3 does not" ... bwahahahaha.

I didn't like Dirt 2 at all for it's emo-rock theme, the cumbersome menus and the tracks which were hardly rally-inspired. Dirt 3 has much better rally-vibe again like Dirt 1 had. Plus, weather and night races are awesome, controls are better, graphics are better, menus are better, tracks and locations are better.

So yeah, I like Dirt 3 MUCH better than 2.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By 234r2we232

As someone who typically avoids racing games, I thought Dirt 2 was tremendous fun, kinda catching me off guard with the whole X-games culture, which I thought worked really well for it. 

Dirt 3 is more of the good stuff, but different. I can't say it's possible to love everything about both games, which is kinda why I respect Codemasters for taking the route they did. Some minor changes to the presentation and it feels like a fresh game, it's totally bizarre. The biggest problem I have with 3 is the music, it makes me think I should be wearing  Burberry and Adidas, eating at MacDonalds while harassing some old people. Where as Dirt 2 didn't :P

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Chabbs0 said:
    Dirt 1 > Dirt 2 > Dirt 3  Seriously.
    I would partially agree.  Personally I would have gone Dirt 1 > Dirt 3 > Dirt 2, simply because I cannot stand the "bad boy trailer" look of that game.  I always prefer my rally games to be slick looking in the menus, whilst featuring a lot of rally.  On that note, Dirt 1 will always be best because it stayed relatively truer to the Colin McRae Rally games than the other two at this point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam said:
    Plus, weather and night races are awesome, controls are better, graphics are better, menus are better, tracks and locations are better.  So yeah, I like Dirt 3 MUCH better than 2.
    Did you notice that the controls are super sensitive in Dirt 3? They're so touchy, but I haven't figured out a way to turn down the sensitivity :( 
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Samaritan

The only thing I'm really missing in DiRT 3, and this could be something that pops up later on, are the longer Rally Cross races. All of the Rally Cross tracks so far seem really short. That's totally a minor squabble though, I love the game so far. 

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @ShiftyMagician: I'll need to play more of Dirt 3 to fully decide between 2 and 3, but I definitely think that Dirt 1 was a truer rally experience. The moments when you have to choose whether to sacrifice time to fix your car or decide if it was more worthwhile to drive with the damage were fantastic. 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Progn0sticator said:
    The only thing I'm really missing in DiRT 3, and this could be something that pops up later on, are the longer Rally Cross races. All of the Rally Cross tracks so far seem really short. That's totally a minor squabble though, I love the game so far. 
    Exactly, I loved the >20 minute hillclimbs etc. in Dirt 1.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CptBedlam
    @drewmaw said:
    @CptBedlam said:
    Plus, weather and night races are awesome, controls are better, graphics are better, menus are better, tracks and locations are better.  So yeah, I like Dirt 3 MUCH better than 2.
    Did you notice that the controls are super sensitive in Dirt 3? They're so touchy, but I haven't figured out a way to turn down the sensitivity :( 
    I don't know, I'm totally fine with the controls. Try out different car classes (some handle somewhat smoother) and turn off the driving assist options. Also, I use the hood view for driving - it's a big difference when it comes to how I feel the steering between the hood view and the 3rd person view.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

Not sure if trolling, but that article could have been written by a 12 year old. How are the graphics worse? I think he's just bummed about having an online pass now so he wrote that pointless article. 

I would rather have more tracks, albeit shorter, than the same 4 tracks over and over. The soundtrack is completely subjective, the graphics are slightly improved, the menus are a million times better and the gymkhana stuff adds a nice variety to the gameplay. How is Dirt 3 worse when they are almost the same game but with different tracks.
    And yes I did all 100 races,(not just 5) and got all the gold medals in Dirt 2, I love both games but that "article" is stupid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam said:
    @Progn0sticator said:
    Exactly, I loved the >20 minute hillclimbs etc. in Dirt 1.
    Hillclimbs!! I remember those! I love them in Baja: Edge of Control too! :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam said:
    @drewmaw said:
    @CptBedlam said:
    I don't know, I'm totally fine with the controls. Try out different car classes (some handle somewhat smoother) and turn off the driving assist options. Also, I use the hood view for driving - it's a big difference when it comes to how I feel the steering between the hood view and the 3rd person view.  
    Yeah, i'm familiar with the variety of cars from Dirt 2, but I've gone back and compared them, just to make sure it wasn't me, but the cars are much more twitchy feeling, I can't seem to get control of the cars like I could in Dirt 2. 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam
    @drewmaw said:
    @CptBedlam said:
    @drewmaw said:
    @CptBedlam said:
    Yeah, i'm familiar with the variety of cars from Dirt 2, but I've gone back and compared them, just to make sure it wasn't me, but the cars are much more twitchy feeling, I can't seem to get control of the cars like I could in Dirt 2. 
    There is a minor difference, yes. The tire/suspension physics are actually a bit more realistic this time around.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

...because there always has to be a naysayer.

yoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yoob

Dirt 2 was a bloom filled teenage fantasy with annoying celebrity endorsements, and shitty punk rock blasting everywhere. You can't talk about artistic value when the lens flares take up half the screen and the color palette is predominantly brown... wait.

"In Dirt 3, the handling controls are more difficult and twitchy. The cars’ handling physics are more simulated. In fact, there are a number of courses in Dirt 3′s rallycross courses that are ALL TARMAC! I didn’t realize that I was buying Tarmac 3!?"

All opinions of the idiot who said it, the idiot who blogged about it, and the idiot who made this thread are disregarded from this point on.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I find the lack of being able to buy vehicles and the attachment you get from it has really lowered my overall interest in the game. 

I also find the controls to be very sensistive and didn't see a way to turn it down.  And I would hazard to say that the cars I've driven so far have all performed the same no matter what class it is.  Seems everything is just overjacked to keep the speed up or intensity if you want to call it that. 

Dirt 3 isn't really what I had expected.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By mfpantst
    @sins_of_mosin: yes that's why the 70's class mini tops out at 110 MPH and the 80's class opels will hit 140, because, you know, they have the same performance....
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By buft
    @EpicSteve said:
    That article didn't articulate anything. It just threw out some general statements. Kind of sounds like the writer just doesn't like change. Should've voted republican. 
    this is my  favorite quote " The tracks in Dirt 3 are less interesting than Dirt 2. They’re more linear in 3." Linear tracks in a racing sim what will developers think of next!
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mfpantst
    @buft: I submit that codemasters start working on the memento style racing tracks.  In their defense, however, I don't think dirt 3 has any tracks with split paths.  but i didn't like the split paths in dirt 2...
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By onarum

I stopped reading that article the moment he said the graphics on dirt 2 were better.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By ZimboDK

I completely disagree with that article. The most important aspect, for me, in a driving game, is the feel of the car and the way it controls. Dirt 1 was terrible, it never felt like I was actually controlling the car, but just turning it on its axis and the game would decide that I should turn.
    Dirt 2 cars were too loose and twitchy to the point that i would do 360 turns on every jump just to amuse myself.
    Dirt 3 cars are still just a bit too loose for me, but it's soooo much better than 2. I'm really enjoying myself, and I don't think I'll be done with the game for a long time.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Scarz09 said:
    I am enjoying Dirt 3 more.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iamjohn

You wrote that article, didn't you?

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zaglis
    @Chabbs0 said:

Hehe. You are kinda right.

Finished Dirt 1 to the last race, played Dirt 2 for 2-3hrs, not interested even trying Dirt 3.
    Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bobstar
    "If you’re an American or liked Dirt 2, do not buy Dirt 3."

Wait, what?
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mfpantst
    @Bobstar: you know, because americans are stupid, right?
    Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vanek

Psshh ... I don't agree at all with that blog especially the bit about the graphics being worse.

My main issue with Dirt 3 is the way the single player is handled.  I just liked the trailer idea more than the triangles, and the music in Dirt 2 wasn't perfect, but it was miles better than the crap in Dirt 3. 

I also don't really care for the Gymkhana ... thing ... either.  All I really want is rally modes, not trucks and trick sessions. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So, just taking the line from the article: 

There are many reasons why Dirt 2 is superior, namely the graphics, the car handling, the tracks, the artistic direction, the multiplayer, the sounds, and the overall learning curve are near perfect.

• The graphics aren't worse. It's just a fact.
    • The handling is very slightly different, and any quality differences in the changes are mostly subjective.
    • The tracks are better, There are more of them, they are more varied, there are less billboards and less fireworks.
    • Artistic direction is an opinion, I prefer it because Dirt 2's art direction was the only thing I disliked about that game.
    • The multiplayer is essentially the same.
    • The sounds are as good as ever.
    • Different difficulty settings mean the difficulty curve is as steep as you want it to be.
    This is obviously an inflammatory article and I feel kind of guilty that I gave the writer traffic for it. 
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BestUsernameEver

even if Dirt3 was worse, which it isn't to me, it would be made up completely by Gymkhana, and knowing that the driving and feel is better than Dirt2, AND has gymkhana, I have to say Dirt3 is so much better so far. 

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chilibean_3

I played Dirt 2 for about 15 minutes before deciding to never play it again.  I just hated the whole X-TREME feeling of it.  The only thing I haven't enjoyed about Dirt 3 is it constantly reminding me to upload stuff to YouTube.  That and the events are a little repetitive in the beginning.   

I love, LOVE, LOVE driving the older cars.  If given the choice for an event, I'll always go for the '60s and '70s cars.  Or the Cosworth, mmmmmmmmmmmmm.  I can drive an Impreza anytime but that old Mini and other bits of rally history are just really cool.   

I do miss some of the event types from Dirt 1 though.  There seemed to be a lot more variety in that game compared to the next two.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @zaglis said:
    @Chabbs0 said:

Hehe. You are kinda right.  Finished Dirt 1 to the last race, played Dirt 2 for 2-3hrs, not interested even trying Dirt 3.
    Can't agree if you haven't even played Dirt3, and barely any of Dirt2, wow lol
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FritzDude

I haven't played Dirt 3 so i can't say, but aren't there much more focus on actual "Rally" In Dirt 3? The 2nd game had to much focus on the X-games and stuff. If this is true Dirt 3 will be better for me.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chilibean_3
    @iAmJohn said:
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By ZimboDK
    @chilibean_3 said:
    @iAmJohn said:
    Heh, if you go to http://www.vidgees.com/author/drewmaw/, you see all posts written by Andy Williams aka drewmaw. So yes, he did write it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yoob said:

Dirt 2 was a bloom filled teenage fantasy with annoying celebrity endorsements, and shitty punk rock blasting everywhere. You can't talk about artistic value when the lens flares take up half the screen and the color palette is predominantly brown... wait.

"In Dirt 3, the handling controls are more difficult and twitchy. The cars’ handling physics are more simulated. In fact, there are a number of courses in Dirt 3′s rallycross courses that are ALL TARMAC! I didn’t realize that I was buying Tarmac 3!?"

All opinions of the idiot who said it, the idiot who blogged about it, and the idiot who made this thread are disregarded from this point on.

I'm personally not looking for an argument, and nor do I agree with everything that guy said, I was just curious as to why I'm not finding as much fun playing Dirt 3. Call people names is what trolls do. Thanks
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sanity

Play what yea like, i like both games and will play them both.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rebirth1337
    @onarum said:
    I stopped reading that article the moment he said the graphics on dirt 2 were better.
    I'm wanting to get DiRT3, so is the article just bullshit? I kind of find it hard to think a game can get worse in graphics unless they completely change the engine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rebirth1337 said:
    @onarum said:
    I'm wanting to get DiRT3, so is the article just bullshit? I kind of find it hard to think a game can get worse in graphics unless they completely change the engine
    Other people feel the same way: 
     http://www.racedepartment.com/dirt-3/55751-dirt-3-visuals-big-disappointment.html 
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6869915 
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903142 

It seems to me that it's preferential in some ways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudy80 said:
    Play what yea like, i like both games and will play them both.
    Do you ever play Baja: Edge of Control?
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sanity
    @drewmaw: No never played it
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ZimboDK said:
    @chilibean_3 said:
    @iAmJohn said:
    Heh, if you go to http://www.vidgees.com/author/drewmaw/, you see all posts written by Andy Williams aka drewmaw. So yes, he did write it.
    Busteeeed 
    beatnik11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By beatnik11

I had a very strong distaste for the whole "slam a Monster energy drink and get xxxtreme at the xgames" bro culture that it was trying to push, it felt very much like they were trying to sell the game to the type of kids  that watch Spike and G4TV.  I really enjoyed some of the rally tracks that were in it but everything outside of racing in Dirt 2 became obnoxious so fast.  Even if all else was considered equal, just the design choice for the UI in Dirt3 makes it a superior game for me

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By HadesTimes

So far I really like Dirt 3, more than Dirt 2 certainly. I'm not really feeling the GymKhana thing, but that;s only a small part of the game.  Overall, it's great. I think Dirt 3 is just a little more untraditional than the previous versions.  The way cars are unlocked for instance....  But that doesn't mean it isn't good.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sanity
    @HadesTimes said:
    So far I really like Dirt 3, more than Dirt 2 certainly. I'm not really feeling the GymKhana thing, but that;s only a small part of the game.  Overall, it's great. I think Dirt 3 is just a little more untraditional than the previous versions.  The way cars are unlocked for instance....  But that doesn't mean it isn't good.
    Yea, but car unlocks was kinda dumb in dirt 2, eventually you just had heaps of cash and it was just weather or not you wanted to race a new car or one you had.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.