Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

Dirt 3 vs Dirt 2: Why Dirt 3 is worse

• 71 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@HadesTimes said:
    So far I really like Dirt 3, more than Dirt 2 certainly. I'm not really feeling the GymKhana thing, but that;s only a small part of the game.  Overall, it's great. I think Dirt 3 is just a little more untraditional than the previous versions.  The way cars are unlocked for instance....  But that doesn't mean it isn't good.
    That's true, i do really like how the cars and liveries unlock in online mode :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudy80 said:
    @HadesTimes said:
    So far I really like Dirt 3, more than Dirt 2 certainly. I'm not really feeling the GymKhana thing, but that;s only a small part of the game.  Overall, it's great. I think Dirt 3 is just a little more untraditional than the previous versions.  The way cars are unlocked for instance....  But that doesn't mean it isn't good.
    Yea, but car unlocks was kinda dumb in dirt 2, eventually you just had heaps of cash and it was just weather or not you wanted to race a new car or one you had.
    True, they haven't really nailed that portion of the game
    AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By AlexanderSheen
    @drewmaw said:
    @Rebirth1337 said:
    @onarum said:
    I stopped reading that article the moment he said the graphics on dirt 2 were better.
    I'm wanting to get DiRT3, so is the article just bullshit? I kind of find it hard to think a game can get worse in graphics unless they completely change the engine
    Other people feel the same way:  http://www.racedepartment.com/dirt-3/55751-dirt-3-visuals-big-disappointment.html http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6869915 http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903142  It seems to me that it's preferential in some ways.
    So, You don't like the look of the game, because some guy don't like it. Is that your reasoning?
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54  Edited By Evilsbane

I got an hour into 3 and uninstalled 2 when I finished that hour so theres your answer.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Bobstar said:
    "If you’re an American or liked Dirt 2, do not buy Dirt 3."  Wait, what?
    Should...I be offended? I'm confused.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlexanderSheen said:
    @drewmaw said:
    @Rebirth1337 said:
    @onarum said:
    I stopped reading that article the moment he said the graphics on dirt 2 were better.
    I'm wanting to get DiRT3, so is the article just bullshit? I kind of find it hard to think a game can get worse in graphics unless they completely change the engine
    Other people feel the same way:  http://www.racedepartment.com/dirt-3/55751-dirt-3-visuals-big-disappointment.html http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6869915 http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1903142  It seems to me that it's preferential in some ways.
    So, You don't like the look of the game, because some guy don't like it. Is that your reasoning?
    Noooo :) not at all. It's that some people feel this way is all im saying ;)
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Sanity

Personally i cant see the argument about the graphics at all, its basically just a more polished dirt 2 on dx9 as far as i can tell. Less bloom is a good thing. Granted i may be missing something with not having a dx11 card.

Zembosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Zembosis

I don't think Dirt 3 is a bad game, though I am somewhat disappointed in how it turned out.  I can see some graphical improvements in Dirt 3, the weather effects are nice and the beads of water that collect on your care are a nice touch as well; however I feel the overall graphical presentation in Dirt 2 is better. Minor things like the pyrotechnics when finishing a race or going over some jumps are missing in Dirt 3.   I also feel it's much harder to control your vehicle in Dirt 3. The pc version doesn't seem as bad as the xbox version for me, but I still prefer the way Dirt 2 handled overall.  I prefer the music in 2 over 3 as well. Lastly I don't really care for the gymkhana events at all, or the night time races.  Overall Dirt 3 seems more bland to me.

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By andymp

So far I like Dirt 3, I loved Dirt 2. I say that ready to be ridiculed for having an opinion that some folks disagree with....

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Devil240Z

I don't get why people do this? I just play the NEW version. I forget about the old one and MOVE ON.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By droop

So, you don't like Dirt 3 because it's more challenging? 

Weak, dude, weak.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By EdIsCool

Played about 4 hours of 2 today and 2.5 of 3. Minute I drove for the first time in 3 was amazing the feel of the car on the track is amazing,Dirt 2 feels really floaty by comparison.2's handling might be more jokey and fun, but 3's is really satisfying.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Droop said:

So, you don't like Dirt 3 because it's more challenging?  Weak, dude, weak.

*Not a complaint* I found that I can't just obliterate the AI on hard (5/6) anymore. Dirt 2 was much easier.

There's definitely less of an emphasis on "hooning around" in the non-Gymkhana/drift events. You have to drive like Seb Loeb in that obnoxious GT5 special event. Drifting is more difficult due to the independent suspension and when it's done, takes longer to bounce back.

I like how this game is less "dudebro" than Dirt 2 was; feels like I'm playing a much classier game with a closer focus to where the game started: in the rally. And they hit that right on the money.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SomeJerk

Can you drop the bullshit "next-generation" filter on the PC version of Derp 3?

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @mfpantst said:
    @sins_of_mosin: yes that's why the 70's class mini tops out at 110 MPH and the 80's class opels will hit 140, because, you know, they have the same performance....
    So they top out at different speeds but everything else feels the same.  Braking, acceleration, and handling all feels the same to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndyMP said:
    So far I like Dirt 3, I loved Dirt 2. I say that ready to be ridiculed for having an opinion that some folks disagree with....
    We clearly are in the minority. ;)
    slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#67  Edited By slowbird

I would like to say that I do miss the variety of Landrush trucks and buggies from Dirt 2, and I think some of the Landrush tracks from Dirt 2 were more fun.  But Dirt 3 is a better rally game than Dirt 2. I just wish they could spin the Landrush part off into a new game and flesh it out more.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By iamjohn

Will drewmaw ever comment on being called out on writing that article in his OP?  STAY TUNED!!

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Read that awful article. That Andy Williams guy definitely has some sand in his hoo-hoo.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By shinigami420

OPINIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Hawx7

NOTE : I'm poor in english. 

In my opinion,DIrt3 visuals are greate...,But  i can't  feel the movement of vehicle.like shaking/vibration that afftect when run over a medium stone/pit....,also i feel like WRC 2010[BAD GAME ENGINE] i feel like i'm pulling a box..,am i right frnds.... 

In DIRT 2 we can feel clearly,...we can feel,what kind of road we are driving on.... ,Stages like CHINA,MOROCCO,MALASIA,UTHA......wow these stages are better than ever....,IN DIRT 3 there is no such stages.......BAD,VERY BAD........NO CHALLENGING STAGES........ ,ONLY GOOD IN DIRT3  KEN BLOCKS GYMKHANA.....THANKS FOR THAT OTHERWISE I'LL BE BIG FLOP.................... 

HERE IS MY COMPARISON[DIRT 2 vs DIRT 3] 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRT 2                                                                      DIRT 3 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RATING OUT on 5 

GRAPHICS                                             4/5                                                                               5/5 { GIVING 5 ONLY COZ OF LIGHTNING EFFECTS }
    CONTROLS                                           5/5 { MR:PERFECT }                                                3/5 { PLAY WRC 2010 and DIRT 3 Feel controls,same..worst } 
    GAME ENGINE                                      5/5 { BEST ON RALLY BASED }                             3/5 { LIKE THEY UPDATED WRC 2010 GAME ENGINE } 
    CARS                                                      3/5 { Mmm..... }                                                           5/5 { RENDERED VERY WELL } 
    TRACKS                                                 2/5 { No of tracks }                                                     4/5  
    TRACKS LOCATION/GRAPHICS      5/5 { WOW }                                                                 2/5 { BAD>BAD } 
    STORY BOARD {FOR FUN}               5/5                                                                                 1/5 
    ONLINE       ****         ****                                      * i havn't played... 
    GUI                                                         4/5                     5/5 { FINE } 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

This is just my comparison....,In your case won't be the same..................................................HAVE A NICE DAY FRNDS.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#72  Edited By abdo

I have to say, when I started playing Dirt 3 there was something weird about it. I kept thinking that it wasn't as good as 2, but I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. I'm not too fond of either of the menu systems, both soundtracks are hit and miss, both have a great selection of cars with 3 having a lot more... graphics and handling were pretty much the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.