Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

How will will this run on my pc?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sanity

I know i know, i hate making these topics as much as people hate seeing them but im just curious before i get it as im still running a dual core.

Heres my specs...

C2Duo e8500 @ 3.1Ghz
    GTX 280
    4 Gigs of DDR 2

I obviously know it will run just wondering if i can push it at 1920x1080 at max with all the settings up besides the DX11 Crap. 

Also anyone try a driving force gt wheel with it yet? Curious how well that works. 

Thanks!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

DX11 isn't crap. But with a 280, everything maxed you'd not get a consistent 30fps let alone 60. You'd have to turn a lot of stuff down to medium. Not everything, but most.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sanity
    @AlexW00d: Ok, diden't mean it was crap just was meaning it as the dx11 stuff lol, anyways thanks =P
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

There's a website called canyourunit.com or something like that. Look it up.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @AlexW00d said: 
    DX11 isn't crap. But with a 280, everything maxed you'd not get a consistent 30fps let alone 60. You'd have to turn a lot of stuff down to medium. Not everything, but most.
    Is the game that much more intensive than dirt 2? With my 285m (mobile card) I could max it out at 1920x1080 (minus DX11 of course) and get an average of 45FPS. 

Have they really changed the engine that much?

@xyzygy said:
    There's a website called canyourunit.com or something like that. Look it up.
    Not recommended - that only tells you if you can run it, not what settings you'll manage and it's not overly accurate.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Vitor: Well the Benchmark included with Dirt 3 claims I get an average of about 49 with everything maxed and I am running a HD6870. With Dirt 2 I got 60fps. 
    Although tbf Fraps tells me I am getting 53. But still. 

@dudy80
    : Did you play Dirt 2 with that card? If you did you will probably lose 7-10 fps with Dirt 3. If that nets you any lower than 40fps you'll have to turn stuff down. I may be underestimating how powerful a 280 is...
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vitor
    @AlexW00d said:
    @Vitor: Well the Benchmark included with Dirt 3 claims I get an average of about 49 with everything maxed and I am running a HD6870. With Dirt 2 I got 60fps. 
    Although tbf Fraps tells me I am getting 53. But still. 

@dudy80
    : Did you play Dirt 2 with that card? If you did you will probably lose 7-10 fps with Dirt 3. If that nets you any lower than 40fps you'll have to turn stuff down. I may be underestimating how powerful a 280 is...
    A 280 is still a pretty high end card, even if it's a generation behind the current standard.  

If it can't max out a multiplatform game, I'd be surprised. It definitely outclasses my card and I ran Dirt 2 without a problem.
    Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Riddell
    @AlexW00d said:
    A 280 still has a lot of power in it. I would have thought the OP would be able to play on reasonably high settings. Dual core CPU might be a bit of a bottleneck, but not much.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By mfpantst

I'd bet you'll do fine.  I've got one of them sandybridges and the gtx 570 and it runs fine.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Riddell said:
    @AlexW00d said:
    A 280 still has a lot of power in it. I would have thought the OP would be able to play on reasonably high settings. Dual core CPU might be a bit of a bottleneck, but not much.
    Tbf I'm half going by recommended settings and half by what my card is pulling. They expect a phenom x4 or i7 and a HD6000 series/Nvidia equivalent.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nintendoeats
    @mfpantst: He'll be fine because you have a substantially better computer and are fine? What kind of logic is that?
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mfpantst
    @nintendoeats: None...  No I was trying to make a joke, but also making a point that this game looks really good, but seems pretty highly optimized
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sanity

Lol, i might pick it up later this week and if i do i'll let you guys know how it runs. Anyone try it with a wheel yet?

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mfpantst
    @dudy80: no but it works fine with an xbox controller (more non-sequiter for your ass)
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vitor
    @mfpantst said:
    @nintendoeats: None...  No I was trying to make a joke, but also making a point that this game looks really good, but seems pretty highly optimized
    Dirt 2 was wonderfully optimised. In fact, one of the post launch patches boosted my FPS by 70% - going from an average of 30FPS maxed out at 1920x1080 to 50FPS on average.  

Hoping Dirt 3 will run at 30FPS bare minimum based on their track record (no pun intended).
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mfpantst
    @Vitor: Yeah this game pretty much amazes me with how optimized it is.  I was expecting to have at least some framerate drops here and there, but I've got everything running on maximum and with vsync on (not the best monitor, 60 hz refresh rate) the built in benchmark records a mimimum FPS of something like 59.1 FPS at some point during the benchmark.  That just impresses me.  I think sometime I might see what it runs with vsync off and see how high the FPS will go and such.  But yeah, for the looks to be so good and the FPS to be so consistent, this game impresses.
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sanity

Downloading it now, damn you steam and ease of purchase.... will let yea know how i make out later.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StrikeALight

I'll probably grab this at some point. Even though I'm crap at racers.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By captain_clayman

pretty well, except of course no dx11.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mfpantst
    @dudy80: Let us know if this thread should have been titled:
    "How well will this ruin my pc?"
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sanity

Just got a chance to check it out, ran the benchmark with all settings on high at 1920x1080 with no aa and got a average of 61 with a minimum of 42 so im happy. Seems like it will work fine and it looks amazing.

Avatar image for riceeatin2010gt
    RiceEatin2010GT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RiceEatin2010GT

that comp will def run it, dx 11 for dirt 3 is basically broken and unplayable.  The game freezes almost at every loading screen when dx 11 is on

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mfpantst
    @dudy80: nice- enjoy.  See you on TNT then?
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sanity

I might jump in on tnt if they do use the pc version

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.