Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

I would like to be decent at DiRT 3

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MethodMan008

I bought DiRT 3 at launch, played for awhile, was terrible, and sold the game.. I was recently looking for a new mechanics driven game to play and I picked up DiRT 3 again. My problem was last time, I would easily dominate on casual difficulty, and lose every race on intermediate difficulty... Tons of spinning out, ramming trees, etc...

Thus I come to the giantbomb community for help, any tips you duders have that might help some terrible, any good youtube channels to check out that have helpful information, etc..?

Thanks!

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Turn before it feels right to on dry dirt tracks, and jiggle the stick when racing on mud, hopefully you get what I mean. It's a sort of game that takes a bit to learn how your cars weight affects the handling, but once you do, it will feel like a realistically fun Sega rally game.

As for gymkhana, I got the feel for it for about a month, then COMPLETELY lost it, spinning around the big cylinder then transferring to the flat spin cones was dead easy, and so was that drift challenge when you maintain a drift around the four arches, then about a week of not playing it, I haven't been able to come close to my accuracy, disappointing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what setting you enjoy playing on, but if you're dominating on casual and have the assists turned on, try gradually turning them off. It's a real technical challenge to manage shifting and braking all without traction control or ABS, and for me at least, damn rewarding once you do master the beast that is a rally car. It'll also help with getting used to courses, shifting between pavement and dirt, and dealing with bumps on the road.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TentPole

Cockpit view. No hud. The only way to play.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MethodMan008

@BestUsernameEver: @Ubersmake: Thanks for the tips guys. I will apply those sometime today. :)

@TentPole: The game looks so beautiful that way!

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By liako21

Im playing the PC and the 360 controller is waaaaay over sensitive. i can barely drive in a straight line....I have been fiddling with the settings for about a day now. really annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.