Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

Rally racing is actually really awesome

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

I never paid much attention to rally racing, but Dirt 3 is getting me interested now.  Rally drivers are probably the best drifters out there, maybe not in a controlled environment around cones and things, but actually racing and drifting around corners that you can't see past takes a lot of guts.  I was going pretty fast the other day on a secluded narrow road that was super hilly and curvy, and on every bump at that speed it made me lose my stomach, and because it was raining when I went around the turns I had to constantly make corrections as the tires slipped... doing that for like 15 minutes was freaky, so doing it for real at actual high speeds must be incredibly stressful!  Mad respect to rally drivers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyIxoCzOG08&
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Wuddel

It is a pretty cool motorsport. Sadly it is pretty boring to watch for more than like 15 minutes. You basically have exactly this impression: "Wow, they are going really fast, on a really bad and narrow road. Potentially deadly trees, all around. Even with jumps!" But you get this all the time - no matter the driver, and there is no "direct competitive racing", only time trail.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

Long, easy, left, baby.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

I love how they communicate in a rally car. Its like their own language. I knew that one dude in the car relayed commands but I didn't know it was so damn fast. 

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By monetarydread

I have more respect for rally racers than any other drivers out there. 
    I love rally racing games the most because they focus more on the courses than the cars. I don't really give a shit about cars, tuning, or doing the same corner over and over again. Rally racing interests me because it is point to point racing with the most variety in track design and scenery.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Out of all types of racing, Rally racing is the most interesting and exciting in my opinion. I'll definitely pick Dirt 3 up when it comes out.

dunc12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dunc12

Rally is by far my fav kind of motorsport. I have mad respect for those guys, and love the games associated with rally. I only wish that it was more popular in the US/Canada...

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funkydupe

That video was intense. 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pweidman

God, that was crazy..hope he did well on that stage.  Stoked that Codies saw fit to make Rally the focus again in DiRT 3, at least mainly at 60%(their claim):p. Two days.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Woah good graphics.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By xMP44x

I actually have been to a rally before - it's very intense even to watch. I never really played any of the Dirt games, but I might rent Dirt 3 - I loved the earlier Colin McRae games. Shame there will be no more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colin Mcrae is truly amazing to watch. Legend. Watching videos like this you just have to sit back in awe of the skill on show.

Dirt 3 is really exciting to me because it looks like it is toning it down a bit. If it was up to me I would have the UI from Dirt 1. They are definitely moving right back to rallying again, which is great. It's a shame they keep up with all of the Ken Block and Gymkhana stuff because Block isn't that good a rally driver. I guess Kris Meeke had something to do with this one which is good.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By RobbieMac

These videos just remind me of the co-drivers outta cork, jesus christ.  I honestly think those are some of the funniest videos ever once they just start cussing.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic

rally racing is all about trying to finish a lap without crashing into a rock/tree or driving off a cliff...

marvin_martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By marvin_martian

Group B was the truest form of rally.

proggykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By proggykins

Rally is really interesting to watch, but it looks like it would be horrifying to actually drive those courses.

junglistgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By junglistgamer

I've never been into watching the sport but I love games based on it, i'm really excited for Dirt 3 when that finally unlocks tonight :). 

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Franstone

I would love to try that but I did not have a rich daddy to get me into the sport....  ; )
    Golf was about it.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By Sin4profit

Damn right it is...would be more popular in America if America didn't have lame-ass roads.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.