Who enjoys cockpit/first person view?

• 72 results
#1 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

(firstly where did the option for creating a poll go? I must be missing it or something) 

So ever since Drew mentioned how he like driving in the cockpit view, I started getting sold on the idea. I used to always be a far back behind the car kind of guy. Now I find myself loving the cockpit view even in the gymkhana events. I enjoy it so much that I am taken aback. I can't believe I do so good in this view seeing as how you get a minuscule amount of viewing area to race. Once I got used to the change in view I noticed that I started getting really immersed and on the edge of my seat at times. 

So who out there is a fan of the cockpit camera view? Who's a convert? What's your favorite view angle for racing games?

#2 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

Me.

#3 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I believe you need to create a poll in General or Off-Topic and then attach it to a specific forum.  I think that's how it works.

Cockpit for me.

#4 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

Me

#5 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

In a flight sim, yes - in a driving game, no. 
if it's a simmy driving game i'll use "hood cam".  
in an arcadey racing game, the usual behind the car cam.

#6 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I love a bit of cock 

pit view.

#7 Posted by CarpetRemnant (369 posts) -

I always, in Dirt 2, turn it on and think 'wow this is totally awesome' and then immediately crash and burn and switch back. I just don't have the patience.

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Hell yeah. No HUD cockpit view ftw.

#9 Posted by Franstone (1085 posts) -

I do...
I also have TrackIR which brings it to a whole new level. 
It's kinda crazy.
Haven't tried it in Dirt 3 yet so I'm not 100% sure they support it but it worked in Dirt 2.

#10 Posted by Garfield518 (403 posts) -

It varies from car to car. If there's a big ass roll cage bar or netting blocking the windshield and I can't see anything, I'll switch to bumper.

#11 Posted by Bollard (5203 posts) -

I play every driving game in cockpit if there's the option. In fact its the only reason I'll really play a driving game.

#12 Posted by chilibean_3 (1611 posts) -

It's cool but I only use it for a bit to check it out.  When I really want to get into it I move to the hood cam so I can actually see the corners better.  I never feel that the cockpit is any more realistic because you are always looking straight ahead and not at where you want the car to go.

#13 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Behind the car camera for me. Always.

#14 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I like it in the context only that everyone else is using it because it always feels to me like a gimmicky hindrance, that is to say though that I do enjoy using it on occasions. Hardcore mode is appealing to me at the moment because it forces cockpit cam  (you'll find people confused after a collision/spin and they'll drive in the wrong direction!). 

However, do I enjoy using it because I can do well with it? Heck no. I take twice as long to finish a track with it.

#15 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:
I play every driving game in cockpit if there's the option. In fact its the only reason I'll really play a driving game.
I second this! and Dirt does cockpit view very well, it would be a shame to let it go to waste.
#16 Posted by elko84 (1032 posts) -

i heard you love COCKpit

#17 Posted by JJWeatherman (14554 posts) -

*raises hand* 

I feel like I have greater control.

#18 Posted by Eversoranimus (122 posts) -

The only way I race, though the snow rally races can get intense from that point of view. Which is another reason to like Dirt 3.

#19 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Not me. Never have. Camera behind the car. 

#20 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

I only use cockpit view in racing games.

#21 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (319 posts) -

Always, I seem to have far more control over the car in the cockpit view. I turned of the HUD for the trophy at first, but I love playing without it after that first race. The only time it comes back on is for drift events, just to see my score. 

#22 Posted by Droop (1827 posts) -

I love it. Even in Gymkhana.

#23 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

I always use the hood-cam. It provides a great sense of speed and it still gives you a good enough feeling for the dimensions of the car (plus, the reflections on the hood look gorgeous in Dirt 3).

Also, in my opinion the hood-cam comes closer to the focussed view I have in a real car. In a game's cockpit view, the car "around" the windshield is way more distracting and intrusive than when it is only located in periphal field of vision in real life.

#24 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

I don't play racing games that often, but when I can't find a cockpit view I feel like that is a huge flaw.  I'd much rather the realistic view.  I know you can't see as much of the screen, but that's the point to me.  It's supposed to be a car, you're supposed to have blind-spots and your personal awareness should be something you develop not something you have shown to you in a third-person camera.

I can buy into hood view, I guess, but behind the car just reminds me of playing with toys or something and only works for me if your game is really arcade-like and there is a lot of stuff going on.  If it's trying to be a simulator, then third-person just makes the game boring.

#25 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -
@Quacktastic said:
I don't play racing games that often, but when I can't find a cockpit view I feel like that is a huge flaw.  I'd much rather the realistic view.  I know you can't see as much of the screen, but that's the point to me.  It's supposed to be a car, you're supposed to have blind-spots and your personal awareness should be something you develop not something you have shown to you in a third-person camera. 
Well, the feeling for the car and focus/peripheral vision are way different between a real car and a videogame's cockpit view. You have much better sight in real life on that position - that is why I find the hood-view generally to be a better approximation of my focussed vision in a car than the cockpit view.
#26 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

For precision driving, sure. For drifting, no way.

#27 Posted by McGray90 (53 posts) -

Really like to use cockpit cam with no hud for the point to point stuff, but for the multi-car races and gymkhana I have to still go for the behind the car view.

#28 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -
@jams: Ive been a big fan of cockpit view since PGR3, that game converted me, In Dirt 3 i use cockpit view for everything but Gymkhana.
#29 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I haven't played Dirt 3 yet, but I do enjoy using the cockpit views in Forza Motorsport. I don't use it in the more arcade-y games like PGR4 and Test Drive Unlimited 2 though, as I find it detracts from how the game is played. My standard view in most racing games is behind the car, and close. If a game has a good cockpit view and it complements the experience then I will make the most of it.

#30 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -
@ZimboDK: It's crazy when I play gymkhana mode in cockpit view. At first I decided I'd use the far behind view for gymkhana and the cockpit for racing, but then I tried cockpit for both and it worked. The worst moments have to be in the snow behind a bunch of cars. You can't see ANYTHING when that happens.
#31 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I am a hood view guy...

#32 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -
@jams: I just can't get used to it. Spins and donuts in cockpit view are absolutely impossible for me. The spin in particular is brutal, because I have no idea where I am when I'm finally ready to drive on.
#33 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

When just doing single player races or races online with friends, Cockpit. During Dirt Tour or online races against random people, Behind the car view. 

#34 Posted by Scotto (1167 posts) -

I prefer the hood camera in Dirt 2 and 3.  Cockpit view looks nice, but I agree with Jeff that it's just too restrictive, and isn't more "realistic". 

Sitting in the cockpit of a real car isn't restrictive, because you have peripheral vision, and can keep your head on a swivel. 

- Scott

#35 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

Only in the rallies and trailblazer events.

#36 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

I enjoy using it in Forza 3

#37 Posted by Garris (186 posts) -

I'm enjoying cockpit view in Dirt 3, Before that the last car racing game I played was rallisport challenge 2 which was 3rd person view and one of the earlier cmr games which I also did in 3rd. 

I love playing tourist trophy in cockpit view though I like me some crazy leanings

#38 Edited by warxsnake (2634 posts) -

Me too   

@Scotto said:
I prefer the hood camera in Dirt 2 and 3.  Cockpit view looks nice, but I agree with Jeff that it's just too restrictive, and isn't more "realistic".  Sitting in the cockpit of a real car isn't restrictive, because you have peripheral vision, and can keep your head on a swivel.  - Scott
What about if I can move my head in the game ^
#39 Posted by gnark1ll420 (101 posts) -

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

#40 Posted by DukesT3 (1888 posts) -

Me.  

Yet when I drift and do Gymkhana I prefer third person and thats usually with any racing game that involves some sort of drifting. 

#41 Posted by Siepher (255 posts) -

I use cockpit view in most of the game types, except Gymkhana.

#42 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

I like the hood view. 

#43 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

It's alright, but the small FOV really annoys me... so I usually play in third-person cam.

#44 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Cockpit view is the only view I will never use. I hate it. I cycle through the other options depending on game and mood.

#45 Posted by faustyn (614 posts) -

forza, dirt and pgr? third person. 
burnout? bumper cam!

#46 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1820 posts) -

Drew turned me on to the idea of racing from cockpit view as well. I'd never been much of a racing game guy, especially ones that didn't involve running over pedestrians and boosting around turns and the like, but as soon as I jumped into that cockpit view I was sold. It's just so much more intense and real

#47 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

I do prefer the inside view of vehicles when i'm playing a racing game.  

#48 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I like it a bunch, but sometimes it can be really hard to race in.  It gives a more intense "ohgodohgodohgod" feeling when going around turns and stuff at high speed, but it can be annoying when you hit a puddle in a car and you can't see shit until your wipers get the mud off.

#49 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

Behind car view means you will lose.   I had to learn the hard way.   Even 'skidding' events.  I so wish it weren't true as I love out of car expieriences.

#50 Posted by Wasara88 (332 posts) -

I have always used it and i'm accustomed to it and when i sometimes try the chase camera for laughs i don't have the same car control anymore and it kills the speed so i constatly hit the trackwalls.
 Also think the ammount of time the devs have used modeling those cockpits, it would be too cruel to use anything else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.