Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Disc Streaming

Concept »

A technology that allows a game to continuously load information off a disc while the player is in game to prevent loading screens.

Need input on this concept page....

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By kmg90

searching around the giant bomb database of concepts, a recently stumbled upon disc streaming. Having contributed and added to this particular wiki, I find myself at a crossroads in what I should do about games that have a hybrid streaming system,  games that come to mind are killzone 2, Toy Story 3, and modern warfare 2 

While all these games stream data from disc in gameplay, they still have the traditional loading screens that we are so familiar with. 

in Killzone 2 when a player progresses past a "section" of a mission they will hit a invisible line which initiates loading the next area of the mission if a player goes too fast in triggering the loading and advancing to the new area a freeze occurs with a small "LOADING" message that appears on the HUD, usually lasting no longer than 1 to 4 seconds. 

So I asked the giant bomb community whether we could just mash all these games into the disc streaming category or create a new concept page that applies to a more specified type of loading?  

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Why not add the games you mentioned to the regular streaming page, but also create a hybrid streaming concept page and add them there too.

Think of it like this: hybrid streaming is just a subcategory of streaming, so both are valid concepts for those games. It's similar to a game that includes a palm tree; that game can fit into both the palm tree category and the general tree category.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.