Finally, an RPG comes to Vita

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By ttocs

Who else is excited to pick up Disgaea 3: AoD today?  I played the original on the PS3 but never got too far since I picked up 4 shortly after.  I really enjoyed my time spent with it so I know this iteration on the vita is going to be amazing since it comes with all the DLC that was gathered over the years.  Amazon already shipped mine and it should be here today.  Anyone else looking forward to playing it?

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Vorbis

Played the hell out of the PS3 version, loved it but sadly not much reason to pick it up again for me, not got round to 4 yet but looking forward to that.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ttocs

4 was really fun.  I enjoyed it a ton but sadly didn't get too far in the story.  I always start off strong with console disgaeas and then kind of drift.  That's why I'm so excited about the Vita release.  Portable is the best way to enjoy Disgaea imo.  

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

I might. Duno. Still halfway through 2 on the PSP and I've got a sealed PS3 copy of 3 on my shelf. Still, I like the menu changes and the included DLC they have for the Vita version....

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Vorbis

Yeah portable Disgaea is a great time waster for long journeys. Also totally forgot that Disgaea 3 has arguably the best Nolan North, Mr Champloo was just amazing.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

Finally an RPG for the VITA! It's been 55 days of nightmare. This RPG drought was the worst one since recorded history began. Let the people rejoice as the great drought has FINALLY ended!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bocam

@Vorbis: @Enigma777:There also a whole new side story that's pretty long.

af7lm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By af7lm

Definitely excited for an rpg for vita. Lumines and stardust can only occupy my time for so long... Downloading now.

Undead_Fiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Undead_Fiend

I guess I'm glad an RPG is coming out for vita, although I've never played a disgea title and I can't figure out what the hell this game is. Is it like FF tactics style?

I've tried to watch trailers and it's just batshit crazy with totally terrible voice acting DUDE, can anyone tell me (as a fan of RPG and tactics like games) what this is and why I should be excited?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bocam

@Undead_Fiend: It's like Final Fantasy Tactics but insane.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By DaemonBlack

@Bocam said:

@Undead_Fiend: It's like Final Fantasy Tactics but insane.

The Disgaea games are also hands down the funniest games I've ever played. A lot of that comes from the insanity, but I think its written and localized pretty well.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Questionable

Disgaea2 really hit the sweet spot for me,

I Just cant keep track of the bazillion different modes and worlds to upgrade anymore.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giefcookie

@Undead_Fiend said:

I guess I'm glad an RPG is coming out for vita, although I've never played a disgea title and I can't figure out what the hell this game is. Is it like FF tactics style?

I've tried to watch trailers and it's just batshit crazy with totally terrible voice acting DUDE, can anyone tell me (as a fan of RPG and tactics like games) what this is and why I should be excited?

Its a tactical RPG like a lot of the modern JRPGs (including Final Fantasy Tactics etc), with a weird, ridiculous and at times hilarious story. The combat gets pretty complicated as the game goes on adding some crazy mechanics to the basic grid based battle system. It heavily focuses on comboing attacks together by setting up several commands and then executing them, instead of just using abilities or attacks one at a time.

The localisation seems fine and the game includes both english and japanese voice acting (a pleasant surprise in a handheld version). Runs great and it just looks amazing on the Vita screen. They didn't even mess it up by forcing you to use touch features or tilting, you can turn off the back touch (or use it for some of the camera controls).

So far its pretty amazing, and like mentioned before, surprisingly funny.

Undead_Fiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Undead_Fiend

Awesome, thanks for the replies, I'll have to check it out

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Morrow

I stopped playing Disagea 3 pretty soon after completing the story scenario. I just started feeling annoyed by the stoneage graphics. Fortunately they improved the graphics in 4, so I played a lot of that and enjoyed it :)

So far I'm enjoying the port and the graphics aren't as annoying on a handheld. They just looked really really bad on my big flat screen.

I like Mao's story and the fact they included all the DLC and also added new features is just awesome! I just have to figure out how to unlock it, I finished the main story and am currently on Raspberyls storyline, but no sign of Desco and Fuka or the new characters Rutile and Stella...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.