For those who had play Disgaea 3, is being on the PS3 justified?

#1 Edited by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

For anyone who had played this game, here are a few questions.

1. With the amount of content in the game, graphics and game mechanics, does this justify being a PS3 exclusive release?

2. Was it a good move or bad move by Nippon Ichi making this a PS3 exclusive?

3. Would it have gotten better better sales if they released it on the PS2 instead?

*Edit spelling, format and correct company in charge.

#2 Edited by prinny_god (327 posts) -

I like it there is tons of awesome DLC too
and they are patching in trophies so I'm very very happy

#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

It didn't even justify being a PS2 game, could have been done on PS1, except the resolution and image quality which I enjoy.

Atlus had nothing to do with it, the company is Nippon Ichi.

I wouldn't have bought it if it were on PS2.  The Disgaea fans are niche so they probably mostly bought a PS3 for the game, heh.

#4 Posted by prinny_god (327 posts) -
Diamond said:
"It didn't even justify being a PS2 game, could have been done on PS1, except the resolution and image quality which I enjoy.Atlus had nothing to do with it, the company is Nippon Ichi.I wouldn't have bought it if it were on PS2.  The Disgaea fans are niche so they probably mostly bought a PS3 for the game, heh."
that's a little harsh
#5 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

From my understanding, from an early Developer Interview, Disgaea 3 does more math than the PS2 can handle.  This factors into all the equations it has to do for causing damage/countering/stealing/randomizing/etc, plus it has tons of Evilities to add into the mix on every action taken.  Even the damage output numerical value is higher than the other games.  They said that combing all this stuff together, it can't fit into the PS2's available memory.  I hope I'm remembering correctly.... I will try to find a link to the Interview, later-on if i can.

DLC and Trophies wouldn't be possible on the PS2, as well.  I do also like having wide-screen and a Wireless Controller too! :p

As for everything else, it could have been on PS2, I guess.

#6 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
prinny_god said:
"Diamond said:
"It didn't even justify being a PS2 game, could have been done on PS1, except the resolution and image quality which I enjoy.Atlus had nothing to do with it, the company is Nippon Ichi.I wouldn't have bought it if it were on PS2.  The Disgaea fans are niche so they probably mostly bought a PS3 for the game, heh."
that's a little harsh "
Says the guy named Prinny God lol (just giving you a hard time)
#7 Posted by ValkyrieGoddess (1922 posts) -

Played part 1 and liked it. Bought part 2 and haven't even played it. NO way i'm buying part 3 now because i don't want a PS3.

#8 Posted by Xeiphyer (5594 posts) -

Disgaea 3 at first look... looks pretty bad. Obviously the graphics are outdated for being a PS3 title, but they chose to not change them on purpose because Disgaea fans love their characters like that. Whats important to note though is that they are still pretty detailed and they look a lot sharper on the ps3 now. Also the sheer number of sprites in this game is insane! And each sprite has a ton of animations for every move it can do.

From a technical perspective, Disgaea 3 had to be on PS3 because the PS2 could not handle the complicated data that had to be processed, also they increased the size of the levels pretty dramatically (mostly vertically) and because of that the PS2 was unable to handle it.

As far as being a ps3 exclusive... thats hard to answer. I like that its in exclusive because it makes me feel more hardcore for having it, that being said, if it was on xbox then a lot more players would play it, and thats a very good thing. PS3 exclusive is never a good decision, its mostly a loyalty to the PS2 and PS1 that causes this PS3 exclusive business. After all, PS1/2's success caused most of the exclusives older titles to become famous. That or its a company buying exclusive rights to a game *cough microsoft cough* Though that doesn't matter to me since I own every console =P

Lastly, This game would have gotten way better sales if it was a PS2 game, a ton of people still own a PS2 and most of them still work fine as well, not everyone can afford a PS3 or they feel the need to have some fanboy favoritism complex and refuse to buy a PS3.  (CLARIFICATION: My name is blue, I like sony the most, but im not a fanboy.theres bigger issues in life. And Ive had sex with a girl)  

Obviously they couldn't release the game on PS2, and its probably good because the PS2 is dieing out, and sony is retarded and not selling PS3s with backwords compatibility. (IBETTER stop now before I bitch for a billion pages about that) Also, in japan every person owns a PS2. Literally. So having a japanese game on PS2 gives you access to the entire market because it works on their PS2 and PS3, rather than the PS3 version only working on the PS3s.

I must say though. DLC for Disgaea 3 is quite nice, and I'm happy its on the PS3 and when they add trophies it will be even better, but because they don't make much use of any online possibilities (other than DLC) it could have just as easily been on PS2 and sold better.

I expect next generation of consoles to have no exclusives at all because of production costs and common sense. And Disgaea 4 will **Most Likely** Have 3D models finally. Source: That new game coming out with Disgaea characters in it that will have 3D models, the game is called Trinity Universe

#9 Posted by lord_canti (1503 posts) -

well graphics out side of the character sprites is pritty good and the DLC  comes out in america pritty much weekly (dispite us not getting any here yet)  i would say its a good ps3 release if u can look past the 2d sprites and over all its  grate game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.