Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 24, 2011

Disgaea 4 continues the epic saga of the Netherworld. The game boasts major graphical improvements, a slew of new characters, as well as improved gameplay mechanics to provide the ultimate next-gen Disgaea experience.

Disgaea 4 update .... How big?

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contrarian

I got myself Disgaea 4 for Christmas and as a fan, I got the Collector's Edition pack. Today I pop it in the PS3 and it asks me to do an update. I thought, "fair enough" until I saw the size of it .......... 2.4Gb!!!

I have big games smaller than that in size. Is this what games have become? I don't have great access to broadband as it is, and it is pretty slow by world standards, plus I am limited to 3GB a month. Is it really reasonable for an update that large? If I didn't do the update, would it really matter? Would I notice the difference?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morningstar

I would like to know this also.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By endaround

@Contrarian: That does suck. You may want to check with NISA's site or customer service for sure but I think that most of that is for DLC and multiplayer. There was some other stuff earlier just with getting the multiplayer up but it also downloads all the DLC so that in case you encounter someone with the DLC in multiplayer it will show correctly. If you don't care about DLC or multiplayer I think you can skip it though I'm not sure if your Collector's pact bonuses will be there then.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Addfwyn

I'm specifically avoiding patching until I get as much stuff done as I can (except the online stuff) because the patch fixes the duping glitch, which can shave like 50 hours off the time to platinum the game (still looking at like 200 hours either way).

The game is pretty playable without the patch, I haven't noticed anything that specifically required it. Unless you want to jump straight to DLC or MP stuff, you'll be fine.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Contrarian

@Addfwyn said:

I'm specifically avoiding patching until I get as much stuff done as I can (except the online stuff) because the patch fixes the duping glitch, which can shave like 50 hours off the time to platinum the game (still looking at like 200 hours either way).

The game is pretty playable without the patch, I haven't noticed anything that specifically required it. Unless you want to jump straight to DLC or MP stuff, you'll be fine.

I think I will avoid the update for a while then, but curious, explain to me what on earth the "duping glitch" is please.

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Enns

The dupe has to do with the game's item shop, current inventory, and storage. There are a couple of ways to do it. They involve filling both your inventory and storage to their limits. Then having an item held for you while you do something like item world leveling. When you level an item they hang onto it, then you fill that last spot in your inventory while there. After completing your item world trip the NPC can't give your item back so it's sent to the item shop for you to buy back. Then the actual bug is at this step, while going through the inventory you choose to buy said item in the equip preview screen instead of the inventory list. Re-enter shop and it'll still be there for you to buy. You can dupe weapons easily by reincarnating a human to monster monster to human if they're holding a weapon they can't use because of their race, it ends up in the shop just like the item world route. Just need to keep inventory and storage full so you can get the bug to activate at the shop. Then you can make room and rebuy through equip screen.

This dupe is looked down upon by some. It's actually only useful for hardcore post game stuff like duping specific innocents or perfected weapons and trapezohedrons.

Also I may have made a mistake about how to execute the dupe but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it. I'm tempted to do it for dual innocents.. but I'll see how tough it is the legit way first.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Contrarian

@Enns said:

The dupe has to do with the game's item shop, current inventory, and storage. There are a couple of ways to do it. They involve filling both your inventory and storage to their limits. Then having an item held for you while you do something like item world leveling. When you level an item they hang onto it, then you fill that last spot in your inventory while there. After completing your item world trip the NPC can't give your item back so it's sent to the item shop for you to buy back. Then the actual bug is at this step, while going through the inventory you choose to buy said item in the equip preview screen instead of the inventory list. Re-enter shop and it'll still be there for you to buy. You can dupe weapons easily by reincarnating a human to monster monster to human if they're holding a weapon they can't use because of their race, it ends up in the shop just like the item world route. Just need to keep inventory and storage full so you can get the bug to activate at the shop. Then you can make room and rebuy through equip screen.

This dupe is looked down upon by some. It's actually only useful for hardcore post game stuff like duping specific innocents or perfected weapons and trapezohedrons.

Also I may have made a mistake about how to execute the dupe but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it. I'm tempted to do it for dual innocents.. but I'll see how tough it is the legit way first.

Wow ...... how does this get past testers and who figures these things out ........... it seems very tempting to exploit it and ignore the update completely. Thanks for the information.

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Enns

Yeah some people go as far to say that it was a back door a programmer left but I doubt it. With the amount of systems this game has it's a wonder it doesn't ship with more bugs. Honestly I don't think it's all that bad if you abuse it. PPS in this release is gimped anyway.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

Its because you are downloading all the DLC content in the update. Disagea 3 did this as well. When you buy the DLC your basically just buying the unlock keys as the actual DLC is delivered though title updates.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.