Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Disgaea

Franchise »

A strategy RPG franchise by Nippon Ichi. Stories usually involve demons and the underworld.

Best endgame game?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By TobbRobb

Hiya! I've been making my way through the story modes of the franchise over the past year or so (1 and 2 so far). And while that is enjoyable on it's own and I'm going to keep going, I do want to put in the time of going deep in one of the entries. But considering the major time investment that takes, I pretty much have arbitrarily limited myself to go nuts in only one of the games.

So I ask you people, fans of the series. What endgame have you had the most fun with? Which one keeps the pace going at an enjoyable rate without being that nudge too grindy. Do the games only get better about this, or are the originals the way to go? I read a topic at some point that 4 might be a bad choice for this, while 2 would be good. But I'd gladly take a second opinion.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

honestly imo you cant go wrong with any of the games,however i would say 4 is my fave of the series.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I only have played 1 and 2, but between those I liked 2 a lot more. You can break 2 in much more exciting and weird ways, and it's easier to get started with your end game runs due to exploits with the monster trapping.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The one that had the prinnys in it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: One day, in a stroke of boredom. I will level up a Prinny to be my strongest character.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

Disgaea 4 is very "modern" in the sense it is streamlined and has a bunch of modern touches. A big issue with the original Disgaea is it had so many "filler chapters" that went no where and dead weight characters and classes who did nothing where both only were just there to pad out time and levels. All of that has been smoothed out with Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4.

That said, a drawback to the modern games are that game "breaks" in more crazier ways which makes trying to plan out teams and characters kind of goofy. It kind of takes the challenge out of getting to 9999 where I'm not entirely sure replacing that with other styles of "super progression" better.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Superkenon

Generally these games have only gotten better with every iteration. I think I had the most fun with 3's, but then again I never got around to doing too much post-game stuff in 4. I had fun with what little I did get into though.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd say either go with the first game's endgame, or Disgaea D2's endgame. I find the first game appealing because it's where many of the ideas were born. Though D2 is the most streamlined of the series, with much of the crap cut out. D2 also differs from Disgaea 4 and 3 in that it's a return to the more skill-based gameplay. In 3 and 4 it was all about making a perfect character that could stomp through all the enemies. In D2, you can't really do that, so you are forced to think more carefully when fighting your battles.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: I didn't mind the filler much in the first 2 games, but I suppose it's cool if the story is streamlined in the other games.

So you are saying the newer games are easier to break and cheese up to high levels? That could be good or bad I suppose, what's more important is how the progression feels, and if you see new content by going up the ranks. Disgaea 1 has the new chapters you can do post game after all. I don't mind chugging and grinding, but it's preferable if leveling feels mostly smooth.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By monetarydread

I have to mention Disgaea 4 on the Vita. I have basically 100% most NIS strategy titles (including Soul Nomad and ZHP) and I will always recommend the portable versions of the game over the console versions. They are basically the video game equivalent to a directors cut version and they add a bunch of content directly to the end game while also giving you an alternate main story to play through. Also, this might just be me, but I actually prefer playing this series portable because the battles usually only take five minutes or so (unless you are doing some weird enemy stacking to level up faster).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: I've been playing portable for the first 2, and I own 3 on vita. Great vacation games. Especially since the battery drain is minmal, I kept the Vita running the first game constantly for about 7 hours or so without going black.

@sunbrozak D2 does sound appealing, especially since the first games cast is what sold me on the franchise to begin with. It's not on Vita though right? That's almost a dealbreaker, I'll have to research more to decide. Though at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if a port is out by the time I beat 4.

Thanks for the input guys!

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@tobbrobb said:

@sunbrozak D2 does sound appealing, especially since the first games cast is what sold me on the franchise to begin with. It's not on Vita though right? That's almost a dealbreaker, I'll have to research more to decide. Though at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if a port is out by the time I beat 4.

They don't seem afraid about putting the high-res Disgaea games on the vita (Disgaea 4 worked fine on the vita), so I imagine we'll get a vita port of Disgaea D2 around the time Disgaea 5 is released. Honestly I'd recommend you wait, especially if you have any interest in the dlc. The dlc alone will cost at least double of what the game does these days.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

Note: I think the best story is Disgaea 2. It seemed to have the right level of seriousness/goofiness ratio.

And my mentioning the "streamlining" of the modern Disgaea is only important if you are chasing the alternate endings. You can run through Disgaea 4 story's pretty fast compared to classic/vanilla Disgaea. My memory is fuzzy these days but I remember even with a fully equipped and powered team, getting through story missions to get to a specific chapter and mission fulfill a requirement to unlock an ending in Disgaea was kind of a chore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.