Bethesda Reveals 'Dishonored,' a New Action Game from Arkane Studios

• 90 results
Posted by Alex (1823 posts) -

A year after announcing the acquisition of Dark Messiah of Might & Magic and Arx Fatalis developer Arkane Studios, Bethesda has finally revealed the first project the studio will be making under its publishing banner.

Today, Game Informer unveiled the new title, Dishonored, as its upcoming August cover story. Dishonored is a first-person stealth action title, featuring... well, you know what? Let's just go with GI's description of the action.

Dishonored is the antithesis of a edge-of-your-seat roller-coaster ride. It's a game about assassination where you don't have to kill anyone. It's a game about infiltration where you can set up traps and slaughter the entire garrison of an aristocrat's mansion rather than sneak in. It's a game about brutal violence where you can slip in and out of a fortified barracks with nobody ever knowing you were there. It's a game about morality and player choice where the world you create is based on your actions, not navigating conversation trees.

Well then. That sounds rather awesome, doesn't it? Granted, GI is out to sell a magazine or two, but hey, it's an effective description! I can't help but be intrigued.

Even more exciting is the collection of talent surrounding the title. Harvey Smith, who was one of the main creative forces behind Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War, and the original System Shock, is on board as co-creative director alongside Arkane's studio head, Raf Colantonio. Additionally, Viktor Antonov, the artist who designed the imposing world of City 17 in Half-Life 2, will be lending his artistic talents to Dishonored's game world.

Dishonored will likely be at this year's QuakeCon, but if you aren't planning on making it out to Texas this year, GI's forthcoming August issue will just have to suffice for the time being.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1823 posts) -

A year after announcing the acquisition of Dark Messiah of Might & Magic and Arx Fatalis developer Arkane Studios, Bethesda has finally revealed the first project the studio will be making under its publishing banner.

Today, Game Informer unveiled the new title, Dishonored, as its upcoming August cover story. Dishonored is a first-person stealth action title, featuring... well, you know what? Let's just go with GI's description of the action.

Dishonored is the antithesis of a edge-of-your-seat roller-coaster ride. It's a game about assassination where you don't have to kill anyone. It's a game about infiltration where you can set up traps and slaughter the entire garrison of an aristocrat's mansion rather than sneak in. It's a game about brutal violence where you can slip in and out of a fortified barracks with nobody ever knowing you were there. It's a game about morality and player choice where the world you create is based on your actions, not navigating conversation trees.

Well then. That sounds rather awesome, doesn't it? Granted, GI is out to sell a magazine or two, but hey, it's an effective description! I can't help but be intrigued.

Even more exciting is the collection of talent surrounding the title. Harvey Smith, who was one of the main creative forces behind Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War, and the original System Shock, is on board as co-creative director alongside Arkane's studio head, Raf Colantonio. Additionally, Viktor Antonov, the artist who designed the imposing world of City 17 in Half-Life 2, will be lending his artistic talents to Dishonored's game world.

Dishonored will likely be at this year's QuakeCon, but if you aren't planning on making it out to Texas this year, GI's forthcoming August issue will just have to suffice for the time being.

Staff
#2 Posted by Sammo21 (3016 posts) -

Can't say there is much to be excited about yet. Arkane Studios was pretty underwhelming.

#3 Posted by Mayu_Zane (602 posts) -

Okay, I'm interested in Dishonored, but I'd definitely like to see gameplay videos of it.

#4 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

Are you telling me that the guy who designed City 17 made that cover? I don't believe it.

#5 Posted by DirtyData (78 posts) -

I love Half-Life!

#6 Posted by Sinful (211 posts) -

Hmm hmm

#7 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

I'm interested, but at the same time, wary, we don't want another Deus Ex combined with Bethesda's somewhat clunky-ness to their games (And I say this as a massive fan of Bethesda). Having said that, I really wanna see the world of this game.

#8 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Sounds interesting but I'll be waiting to see more about its story and some gameplay. =]
#9 Posted by mbkish (240 posts) -

Wow, this sounds too good to be true. I love me some stealth action in a look-a-like city-17

#10 Posted by Bwast (1334 posts) -
@Inkerman said:
I'm interested, but at the same time, wary, we don't want another Deus Ex combined with Bethesda's somewhat clunky-ness to their games (And I say this as a massive fan of Bethesda). Having said that, I really wanna see the world of this game.
How does being published by Bethesda automatically make your game clunky?
#11 Posted by Forcen (1766 posts) -

Why write this news article without creating a game page for this game and tying it to the article??

This seems interesting as hell anyway.

#12 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

I can say a bunch of awesome vague things...

How about we see something first...

#13 Posted by dancingpolkabear (191 posts) -

While I can't help but be excited, I would like to point out that Harvey Smith was also the lead designer behind the games Blacksite Area 51 and Deus Ex: Invisible War

#14 Posted by Brendan (7510 posts) -

This sounds like a game about me screwing up in about 5 minutes and finding myself in an enormous battle against an entire enemy base.

#15 Posted by Loose (419 posts) -

Weren't these the guys who were supposed to be developing The Crossing? I remember that being big news when it was announced.

#16 Posted by MaFoLu (1854 posts) -

They stole my idea of a game where you make decisions by actually doing things differently rather than choosing dialogue options...

Hopefully it will actually work out.

#17 Posted by Bhatman (8 posts) -
@Loose: Yep, they also where bought up by Zenimax and are a first party developer.
#18 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@dancingpolkabear: It said Invisible War in the article...
#19 Posted by reson8er (31 posts) -

As potentially exciting as their description sounds, a great many high-concept games end up remaining only great in concept and not execution.  Given the pedigree of the games team, it deserves keeping an eye on development. But with nothing really revealed yet, its hard to be genuinely excited.

#20 Edited by Duffman (208 posts) -

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought "Oh hey, Half Life!" when I saw the cover.

Edit:  Well duh, makes sense, considering it's from the same guy.  I should probably read the entire article first.

#21 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

I'm all for new IP

#22 Posted by falling_fast (2142 posts) -

sounds promising

#23 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Seems pretty cool. And of course a guy from Dues Ex is working on it.

#24 Posted by SockLobster (454 posts) -
@Agent47 said:
@dancingpolkabear: It said Invisible War in the article...
He did both.
#25 Posted by Kasswara (178 posts) -

I are excite.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (22696 posts) -

Morality and player choice? Oh, great, this shit again.

#27 Posted by hermberger (120 posts) -

Yay for new IPs.

#28 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

It sounds good. Can't wait to see more.

#29 Edited by iamian (22 posts) -

Hopefully the mag itself will shed more light on the game,  but from what they've said in the teaser blurb it sounds right up my alley.

#30 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

well its one new IP, thats something to look forward too

#31 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

Just realized I'm probably going to have to import the PAL version of this game so that the title spelling does not kill me.

#32 Edited by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

" It's a game about morality and player choice where the world you create is based on your actions, not navigating conversation trees." thems fighting words

#33 Posted by Deusx (1879 posts) -

It sounds great but... It sounds like Deusx Human Revolution so yeah not very original.

#34 Posted by MeatSim (10594 posts) -

New IP? you got my attention.

#35 Posted by Tennmuerti (7720 posts) -

Color me intrigued, but skeptical.

#36 Posted by blacklab (1475 posts) -

You had me at City 17.

#37 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Alright, I'm in.

#38 Posted by fishless (54 posts) -
@Deusx said:
It sounds great but... It sounds like Deusx Human Revolution so yeah not very original.
That's a joke, right? 

Please say either yes or nothing. Please. 
#39 Posted by Tesla (1850 posts) -

sounds good to me

#40 Posted by fishless (54 posts) -
@MaFoLu said:
They stole my idea of a game where you make decisions by actually doing things differently rather than choosing dialogue options... Hopefully it will actually work out.
Umm... When did you have this idea. Because well... this kind of thing has been going on for a while now. 
#41 Posted by kerse (2037 posts) -

Sounds interesting.

#42 Edited by zaglis (908 posts) -

Strider, Combine tank, Metro cop mask and HL2 looking trains?

Hey now.

#43 Posted by Deusx (1879 posts) -
@fishless said:
@Deusx said:
That's a joke, right?  Please say either yes or nothing. Please. 
No it is not a Joke. That game sounds like fucking Deusx... I know it is from the same creative directors but they seem to be following a trend now that they know Deusx is going to be awesome. ALSO... U MAD?
#44 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

I'm not passing judgement if all I have to work with is ambiguous statements and concept art. I'll wait for something a little more concrete.

#45 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

It's still too soon too have a proper opinion, but so far it does SOUND great. Plus, I love stealth games, so yeah... I'm interested in knowing more ^^

#46 Posted by Nights (586 posts) -

Stealth game? You've sold me.

#47 Posted by TekZero (2638 posts) -

It looks interesting, but ambitious.  Let's see if it can actually live up to its promise.  

Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on it. 

#48 Posted by Chadster (326 posts) -
@Deusx: I can't tell if the misspelling of "Deus Ex" in both your posts and your username is intentional or not.
#49 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

looks pretty cool!

#50 Posted by enemymouse (317 posts) -

The description sounds like something I'd love to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.