Dishonored Featured in Syfy's "Face Off"

#1 Edited by Zuldim (288 posts) -

I'm not sure if anyone on here watches Syfy's series Face Off (which is actually pretty awesome) but I thought it's worth bringing up the upcoming game was featured heavily in last week's episode "Dishonorable Proportions".

For those unaware of what the show is about, Face Off is a competition where several makeup effect artists are given a challenge each week, and one person is eliminated by 3-4 judges, until only one remains. The show is actually a lot of fun for a reality program, as the good monster designs are cool to see, the bad ones are fun to watch get taken apart, and seeing behind the scenes of what the process is, is quite interesting, in my opinion at least.

Back to the point, however, this episode's challenge was a cross promotion with Dishonored, where the contestants were each given a specific character type from the game (an Aristocrat, a Thug, and a Weeper) and told to design a character who fit that archetype, and exaggerate the proportions of the him (or her).

The full episode is unfortunately not available on Syfy's website yet, which appears to be a couple weeks behind (meaning it should eventually be available) but there are some images from the episode at http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/episodes/ for those interested (there was also a mini-challenge to design a beauty makeup revolving around the model's dresses, which the episode also shows pictures of). The images I uploaded to this post contain the two thugs designed, one of which was considered one of the top looks of the night, and the other one of the worst. I personally thought this was a pretty neat promotion for the game, and a cool challenge for the show (which I do watch regularly). I'd be interested to hear what others think.

#2 Posted by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -

That's pretty cool.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -

What's a SyFy?

#4 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

What's a SyFy?

It's a channel; they used to call it the Sci-Fi channel.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -

@Beforet said:

they used to call it the Sci-Fi channel.

This probably explains why I've never heard of it...somehow.

#6 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Beforet said:

they used to call it the Sci-Fi channel.

This probably explains why I've never heard of it...somehow.

It's the channel that makes awesome shows, and then cancels them to play more crappy z-list movies, and wrestling.

#7 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Conversation between two SyFy employees below: 

"You know what would make our channel THAT much better?" 
"What?"  
"Y" 
"wha---" 
"SyFy"  
 "... you crazy son of a bitch"

#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

What's a SyFy?

It's where the wrasslin' lives.

#9 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Video_Game_King said:

What's a SyFy?

It's where the wrasslin' lives.

Really?

#10 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I think this kind of advertising is both the worst and the best from of advertising. I also can never not think of Nick Cage when someone says Face-Off

#11 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I think this kind of advertising is both the worst and the best from of advertising. I also can never think of Nick Cage when someone says Face-Off

I'm curious what makes you feel that this exemplifies the worst form of advertising. Care to elaborate?

#12 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

Face Off was one of the first things I watched in America, they had a season 1 marathon just before the second season started and I got all kinds of addicted, really good show to watch kind of mindlessly, and these sorts of competition shows usually don't appeal to me.

#13 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@Zuldim: Because its so blatant, It is the best because it is relevant to my interests.

#14 Edited by handlas (2659 posts) -

i turned off my cable, thus I'm not watching season 3 but the first 2 seasons of that show were great. Given, I know nothing about movie makeup profession stuff but the people seemed really talented and it was always cool to see what they came up with. Season 2 the best guy definitely won; his last work was pretty awesome. It was one of the few "reality" shows I watched. That and Top Chef.

Oh and Dishonored... probably gonna get it if it doesn't somehow end up sucking.

#15 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

@handlas said:

i turned off my cable, thus I'm not watching season 3 but the first 2 seasons of that show were great. Given, I know nothing about movie makeup profession stuff but the people seemed really talented and it was always cool to see what they came up with. Season 2 the best guy definitely won; his last work was pretty awesome. It was one of the few "reality" shows I watched. That and Top Chef.

Oh and Dishonored... probably gonna get it if it doesn't somehow end up sucking.

I loved the first two seasons, and this season has actually been my favorite so far. The challenges have been interesting, the contestants are talented, and none of them (save for a guy who walked off at the end of the first episode) are unlikable. It's pretty great.

#16 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

What's a SyFy?

Don't be an asshole, use google and shutup if you have nothing to input

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook:

I was trying to mock the fact that there isn't a lot to watch on SyFy in the first place.

#18 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@SomeDeliCook:

I was trying to mock the fact that there isn't a lot to watch on SyFy in the first place.

But...but... Warehouse 13 and Alphas and... But yeah, you're right. Those are the only two shows I will watch on SyFy.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@SomeDeliCook:

But...but... Warehouse 13 and Alphas and... But yeah, you're right. Those are the only two shows I will watch on SyFy.

The only show I've ever watched on SyFy was something about ghosts. I watched it for all of half a second before realizing what it was and changing the channel.

#20 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -
I only know one Face/Off
#21 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Well at least you aren't part of the problem that keeps those fake ghost show on the air. Also, they get cable on the moon?

#22 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I already watched this episode. One guy made this interesting looking thing with a large head.

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (36013 posts) -

@NegativeCero:

Sexyface does. Something about not letting his English (and Spanish, because somehow, he learned that) go to waste. All I've managed to get out of it is a couple of cartoons, from time to time.

#24 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I only know one Face/Off

It's ok, it's not like I NEEDED to sleep tonight. Thanks.

#25 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

Yeah, I watch Face Off, and was amused that they had the contestants do characters from the game. Too bad that they all did such a shitty job. Well, there were one or two that were alright, but almost everyone else missed the boat. It's still fun to watch, even though the contestants this season don't seem quite as good as seasons one and two.

#26 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

@haggis said:

Yeah, I watch Face Off, and was amused that they had the contestants do characters from the game. Too bad that they all did such a shitty job. Well, there were one or two that were alright, but almost everyone else missed the boat. It's still fun to watch, even though the contestants this season don't seem quite as good as seasons one and two.

I thought that the winner's was really great, the runner up was all right, and the rest were lacking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.