Dishonored Has a Voice Cast That Could be Described as 'Famous'

• 100 results
Posted by Alex (2036 posts) -
Anyone want to go watch Dune with me?

Somewhere around the time that I found out Emma Stone and Tom Wilkinson would be providing voices for Square-Enix's not-True Crime game Sleeping Dogs, I got the distinct feeling that we were on the verge of another celebrity voice acting boom in games. Sure, major actors have been collecting paychecks via video games for ages now, but outside of a few Rockstar titles and other outliers, it's rare to see them descend en masse for a game that isn't licensed to some movie they're already working on.

So bully to Bethesda for plunking down the cash to cobble together what looks like an all-star cast for Dishonored, Arkane Studios' upcoming first-person stealth action game. The cast includes such luminaries as Susan Sarandon (Thelma & Louise, The Witches of Eastwick), Chloë Grace Moretz (Let Me In, Hugo), and Carrie Fisher, who I think was in one of those Star Trek movies.

Other actors joining the cast include recognizable character actor Brad Dourif (Dune, Deadwood), Game of Thrones villainess Lena Headey, Mad Men star John Slattery, and Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs, Bloodrayne), who gamers have undoubtedly encountered in numerous games before, given that he'll show up just about anywhere so long as there are enough zeroes on the check.

It's a strong cast that, of course, doesn't mean a whole lot unless the voice performances are strong. After all, how many times have we heard about some major actor joining a game, only to find they've phoned it in? Still, it's a good cast, and it's entirely exciting to see an actress of Sarandon's caliber working on a game like this. And honestly, who doesn't love Brad Dourif? Jerks, that's who.

Dishonored is due out this October.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2036 posts) -
Anyone want to go watch Dune with me?

Somewhere around the time that I found out Emma Stone and Tom Wilkinson would be providing voices for Square-Enix's not-True Crime game Sleeping Dogs, I got the distinct feeling that we were on the verge of another celebrity voice acting boom in games. Sure, major actors have been collecting paychecks via video games for ages now, but outside of a few Rockstar titles and other outliers, it's rare to see them descend en masse for a game that isn't licensed to some movie they're already working on.

So bully to Bethesda for plunking down the cash to cobble together what looks like an all-star cast for Dishonored, Arkane Studios' upcoming first-person stealth action game. The cast includes such luminaries as Susan Sarandon (Thelma & Louise, The Witches of Eastwick), Chloë Grace Moretz (Let Me In, Hugo), and Carrie Fisher, who I think was in one of those Star Trek movies.

Other actors joining the cast include recognizable character actor Brad Dourif (Dune, Deadwood), Game of Thrones villainess Lena Headey, Mad Men star John Slattery, and Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs, Bloodrayne), who gamers have undoubtedly encountered in numerous games before, given that he'll show up just about anywhere so long as there are enough zeroes on the check.

It's a strong cast that, of course, doesn't mean a whole lot unless the voice performances are strong. After all, how many times have we heard about some major actor joining a game, only to find they've phoned it in? Still, it's a good cast, and it's entirely exciting to see an actress of Sarandon's caliber working on a game like this. And honestly, who doesn't love Brad Dourif? Jerks, that's who.

Dishonored is due out this October.

Staff
#2 Posted by fusrodah (95 posts) -

FAME

#3 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

And Gary Oldman was in Spyro.

Crazy fucking celebrity voice acting, where will it end?!

#4 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Polygon accredited Carrie Fisher to Jay and Silent Bob.

Your joke was much better.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Is it odd that I've never heard of any of these famous people? Probably.

#6 Posted by Adaurin (186 posts) -

Heh, all three women have been on 30 Rock; two of them in multiple episode roles.

#7 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Hopefully the voicework will be good enough that I don't just hear the actual actors. I'm looking at you, Patrick Stewart in Oblivion.

#8 Posted by RecSpec (3805 posts) -

Highly dissapointed that Michael Madsen is only credited in seven games when it feels like he's been in a thousand.

#9 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4603 posts) -

There was an interesting Nerdist podcast a while back where they interviewed the Pinky and the Brain guys (Rob Paulsen and Maurice Lamarche ), and at one point they briefly discussed how celebrities all want in on voice-acting because of what Chris Rock said at the Oscars, where you say dumb shit and they 'give you a million dollars'. They weren't super bitter about it or anything, but it did sort of underline some of the problems with stunt casting, which is that most celebrities have no experience doing that sort of work. I'll try to find the link, it was kind of cool to hear what it's like for people who do it professionally. More important reason for listening: R-rated Pinky.

edit: here ya go http://www.nerdist.com/2012/03/nerdist-podcast-rob-paulsen-and-maurice-lamarche/

#10 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Emma Stone is fucking hot. And that's all I have to say.

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Good news for Dishonored. Hope the game is good.

#12 Posted by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

Michael Madsen will mumble into a microphone for you for a hot dog and a half a pack of smokes.

#13 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Probably not. I haven't heard of any of them, either, nor the movies they are accredited to.

#14 Posted by MeatSim (10834 posts) -

Gotta collect those paychecks.

#15 Posted by Phoenix87 (479 posts) -

Hi, I'm Susan Sarandon. You may know me as Tim Robbin's mother, but I'm actually his girlfriend.

#16 Posted by Enigma_2099 (146 posts) -

Yes, because as we all know, it's voice acting that makes or breaks the game.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (24425 posts) -

Ugh. Madsen was terrible in Yakuza.

#18 Posted by MasterXell (17 posts) -

@Phoenix87 said:

Hi, I'm Susan Sarandon. You may know me as Tim Robbin's mother, but I'm actually his girlfriend.

Actually, they broke up awhile ago.

#19 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

No, Brad Dourif is best for playing the greatest child's toy ever made, the Chucky doll!

#20 Posted by CornBREDX (5125 posts) -

Uh... cool? I guess. A famous person being in a video game doesn't seem to matter so much given that the caliber of their acting doesn't necessarily translate in voice work.  
A few of them at least, though (if not all of them actually) have done voice work before so it's not all bad. Could be alright I guess.  

Madsen is not someone I am ever hyped about. He's literally been playing off his celebrity from his Reservoir Dogs performance since Reservoir Dogs. He doesn't seem to give a shit- but at least he seems to wear that on his sleeve. So, good on him I guess haha

#21 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1641 posts) -

Chloe Moretz is young enough to know that being in a video game is pretty cool. Some of those other guys are gonna half-ass it, guaranteed.

#22 Posted by Foggen (845 posts) -

Billy Motherfucking Bibbit.

#23 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

Come on, Alex, we all know Susan Sarandon is most famous for The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

#24 Posted by Yummylee (21547 posts) -

I have no idea why, but I've always associated Brad Dourif with Simon Templeman. Probably because they look somewhat alike.

#25 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

I'm am really looking forward to this game.

#26 Posted by Dixavd (1354 posts) -

THe only one I recognised was Carrie Fisher. It's probably due to me not being American and not paying much attention to the movies; but I seem to remember more actors when they were talking about them in Fallout: New Vegas and Mass Effect 3.

#27 Posted by Tesla (1919 posts) -

Susan Sarandon is the sexiest older woman of all time.

#28 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

...and Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs,Bloodrayne), who gamers have undoubtedly encountered in numerous games before, given that he'll show up just about anywhere so long as there are enough zeroes on the check.

...And I have a sneaking suspicion he only needs 2 zeroes. And maybe some liquor.

#29 Posted by theodacourt (531 posts) -

I always get disappointed when I hear Michael Madsen is in something and then I realise it's not Mads Mikksen

#30 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@mandude said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Probably not. I haven't heard of any of them, either, nor the movies they are accredited to.

Unless you're five I just don't believe you've never at least heard of Reservoir Dogs, Thelma & Louise, Dune or Star Wars (cuz y'know ...Carrie Fisher was Princess Leia and a person on the internet simply can't not know Princess Leia). I hope your comment excluded the way more contemporary TV shows like Mad Men, Game of Thrones or Deadwood. Or are the really people living under rocks? :)

#31 Posted by Brendan (7778 posts) -

Ehh I don't see the point of spending extra money on famous actors when that money could have gone other places. Plenty of fantastic voice actors out there who are probably way cheaper.

#32 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@DeF said:

@mandude said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Unless you're five I just don't believe you've never at least heard of Reservoir Dogs, Thelma & Louise, Dune or Star Wars (cuz y'know ...Carrie Fisher was Princess Leia and a person on the internet simply can't not know Princess Leia). I hope your comment excluded the way more contemporary TV shows like Mad Men, Game of Thrones or Deadwood. Or are the really people living under rocks? :)

Actually, I didn't see Reservoir Dogs being mentioned the first time I read through the article, so I'll give you that. Star Wars wasn't mentioned, but yeah, obviously I've seen that too. I didn't know who Carrie Fisher was until you told me, though, so I think I'd attribute the fame to Princess Leia rather than her. Also, I thought Dune was a book? Never knew there was a movie. I've heard of Game of Thrones, but none of the other ones, and even then, that's mostly about the book.

Maybe it's a culture difference?

#33 Posted by Zleunamme (655 posts) -

Is there going to be a behind the scenes video of the actor trying to sell that they are gamer themselves? Michael Madsen will do anything for a pay check that requires the least amount of effort on his part.

#34 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

Uh... cool? I guess. A famous person being in a video game doesn't seem to matter so much given that the caliber of their acting doesn't necessarily translate in voice work.

This. Famous voice acting don't change anything for me, except if they're really, really good.

#35 Posted by RedRocketWestie (381 posts) -

@Enigma_2099 said:

Yes, because as we all know, it's voice acting that makes or breaks the game.

It very rarely makes the game, but it sure as hell can break it. In general, I enjoy high production values.

#36 Posted by Shaka999 (470 posts) -

Hngh Lena Headey.

#37 Posted by MiniPato (2735 posts) -

I was expecting more British-ey voices.

#38 Posted by buckybit (1455 posts) -

@Tesla said:

oh, all you motherlovers ...

#39 Posted by Alphazero (1536 posts) -

Carrie Fisher did a great job as Deanna Troi's mother, although the metal bikini on the Enterprise was an odd choice.

#41 Edited by DigitalRichard (17 posts) -

I will not be impressed until Betty White is hired as a voice actress.

#42 Edited by Milkman (16683 posts) -

Chloe Grace Moretz is probably the only one in the cast who could be referred to as a "star" in 2012.

#43 Posted by medacris (649 posts) -

Famous voice actor or not, I don't think you need to be a gamer to be a good VA. Now, if you're a video game coder, animator, concept artist, or writer, and you don't know anything about video games, I'd be slightly worried.

I do like Chloe Moretz (especially in Kick-Ass), Susan Sarandon ("DAMMIT, JANET!"), and Carrie Fisher, and if they do a good job, that's all I ask for, but I do feel a sting when I realize celebrity VA's sometimes prevent the Nolan Norths and Tara Strongs of the world from getting a job.

#44 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@Tesla said:

#45 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

If you want to know why budgets for games are millions, here is one reason. Total waste of money IMO.

#46 Posted by GalacticPunt (1042 posts) -

Michael Madsen is happy to drunkenly stumble into your sound booth and get his own character name wrong.

"Hey, I'm Tony Kipriani!"

#47 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Well I imagine you don't see many movies on the moon.

#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Getz:

I saw The Dark Knight Rises a couple of weeks ago :|.

#49 Posted by MannAlive (155 posts) -

All these famous people are just actors.

#50 Posted by RuthLoose (807 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Tesla said:

Joan Rivers would like to have a word with you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.