Dishonored, PC Users: Gamepad or KB&M?

#1 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -


#2 Edited by mordukai (7153 posts) -

I stared with the kbm but moved to gamepad since precision aiming is not that important to the game. The only real advantage I see for a kbm in this game is the hotbar but losing it is not a real dealbreaker for me. However, I do keep my keyboard next to me to use it for the Quick Save/ Quick Load.

On a side not I would like to say that i really like it how the developer made the UI visible when playing this game in 1080p on a 46" tv. At the end it didn't really matter since I ended up turning all the UI options off.

#3 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

Keyboard and Mouse, I'm not a fucking monster.

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I don't think losing a hot bar is a big thing if I was playing on PC. I have sleep darts mapped to left of D-pad, pistol to right on D-pad which is only an emergency use, blink is up on D-pad, and the heart is down on D-pad. Only a few times I've had to use powers besides these so far and I just beat the Golden Cat mission and these 4 hotkeys have been perfect for me. I might just remap slow time to the right of D-pad and replace the pistol once I upgrade it to allow me to run at normal speed.

#5 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4363 posts) -

KBM all the way and normally always go game pad unless I'm playing a MP shooter. I just like having more precision when it comes to moving and blinking fast.

#6 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Accidentally selected Ganepad, but I'm going to be using a keyboard and mouse

#7 Posted by Vextroid (1406 posts) -

KB+M, that hotbar will seem to come in handy.

#8 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

Gamepad whenever possible unless the game doesnt't make sense using one, I don't like sitting at a desk. Oh, "I'm not a fucking monster."

#9 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

No reason to play with a controller when using a PC at a desk, especially not for a FP POV game.

#10 Posted by Skyfire543 (698 posts) -

Keyboard and mouse. I can't stand controllers for first person games.

#11 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

#12 Posted by Zella (761 posts) -

Both, the glory of playing on PC. Just like Skyrim, I get all the benefits of shortcuts and easy quick save/load buttons while also having the comfortable feel of a gamepad. I grew up on consoles so I am significantly more comfortable and even better using a gamepad over mouse and keyboard. I also use a 32" tv as my main monitor and when I game I like to lean back in my chair which would be super uncomfortable using m/kb.

Online
#13 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

#14 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

The gamepad is pretty goddamn comfortable in this game especially considering how quick and maneuverable you constantly have to be. But, my PC is also at my TV so it's just easier than Keyboard and mouse.

#15 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

It's a first person game, one of those answers is right and the other is wrong.

#16 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

I understand all of those points but if you happen to play on your desk with the ease of using a keyboard and mouse why would you go for a controller? I was exaggerating when I said it's horrible but I mean, wouldn't you want the pixel perfect fidelity of a mouse? The keybinds on a keyboard? I would never play an FPS with a controller if I had the choice. Not saying they are bad but not what I would want to play games like that. Maybe it's also the fact that I play a lot of Counter Strike...

#17 Posted by hibblejibble (3 posts) -

@Deusx said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

I understand all of those points but if you happen to play on your desk with the ease of using a keyboard and mouse why would you go for a controller? I was exaggerating when I said it's horrible but I mean, wouldn't you want the pixel perfect fidelity of a mouse? The keybinds on a keyboard? I would never play an FPS with a controller if I had the choice. Not saying they are bad but not what I would want to play games like that. Maybe it's also the fact that I play a lot of Counter Strike...

How about the ability to change movement speed fluidly as opposed to 'w' to run, 'shift' to walk? That's pretty important in this game, that involves sneaking along narrow pipes carefully and sneaking up behind people without making too much sound. The inability to do this on kb&m has always annoyed me.

#18 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1463 posts) -

If your planning on playing stealth KBM is key I would of gone insane casting dark vision and blink back and fourth without it

#19 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@hibblejibble said:

@Deusx said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

I understand all of those points but if you happen to play on your desk with the ease of using a keyboard and mouse why would you go for a controller? I was exaggerating when I said it's horrible but I mean, wouldn't you want the pixel perfect fidelity of a mouse? The keybinds on a keyboard? I would never play an FPS with a controller if I had the choice. Not saying they are bad but not what I would want to play games like that. Maybe it's also the fact that I play a lot of Counter Strike...

How about the ability to change movement speed fluidly as opposed to 'w' to run, 'shift' to walk? That's pretty important in this game, that involves sneaking along narrow pipes carefully and sneaking up behind people without making too much sound. The inability to do this on kb&m has always annoyed me.

If you can't hit Control, Shift, and W (and maybe A or D) at the same time, you're obviously new at this KB/M thing, because that's something you should pick up from any first person game in short order.

#20 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1463 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@hibblejibble said:

@Deusx said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

I understand all of those points but if you happen to play on your desk with the ease of using a keyboard and mouse why would you go for a controller? I was exaggerating when I said it's horrible but I mean, wouldn't you want the pixel perfect fidelity of a mouse? The keybinds on a keyboard? I would never play an FPS with a controller if I had the choice. Not saying they are bad but not what I would want to play games like that. Maybe it's also the fact that I play a lot of Counter Strike...

How about the ability to change movement speed fluidly as opposed to 'w' to run, 'shift' to walk? That's pretty important in this game, that involves sneaking along narrow pipes carefully and sneaking up behind people without making too much sound. The inability to do this on kb&m has always annoyed me.

If you can't hit Control, Shift, and W (and maybe A or D) at the same time, you're obviously new at this KB/M thing, because that's something you should pick up from any first person game in short order.

Please dont turn this into a flame war, dude that made this post was just asking preferance

#21 Edited by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Dizzyhippos said:

@Terramagi said:

@hibblejibble said:

@Deusx said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

I understand all of those points but if you happen to play on your desk with the ease of using a keyboard and mouse why would you go for a controller? I was exaggerating when I said it's horrible but I mean, wouldn't you want the pixel perfect fidelity of a mouse? The keybinds on a keyboard? I would never play an FPS with a controller if I had the choice. Not saying they are bad but not what I would want to play games like that. Maybe it's also the fact that I play a lot of Counter Strike...

How about the ability to change movement speed fluidly as opposed to 'w' to run, 'shift' to walk? That's pretty important in this game, that involves sneaking along narrow pipes carefully and sneaking up behind people without making too much sound. The inability to do this on kb&m has always annoyed me.

If you can't hit Control, Shift, and W (and maybe A or D) at the same time, you're obviously new at this KB/M thing, because that's something you should pick up from any first person game in short order.

Please dont turn this into a flame war, dude that made this post was just asking preferance

How the hell is that flaming? You want to see flaming? Fine, okay.

Look, I know you're new at this whole "using more than a single finger and a thumb on both of your stumps at the same time", but god dammit you should be using 4 fingers at all times because you aren't preoccupied with such quaint concerns as "holding the controller up" like a troglodyte.

LEFT HAND

Left thumb on space bar, at all times.

Left pinky on control, when you need it. Otherwise, on A.

Left ring finger on W, unless you are using control, or need shift. In which case, shift.

Left middle finger on D, unless you are using control or shift, in which case A and W. Also E, if action is bound to it.

Left index finger on F, to be kept in reserve for when you're on control or shifting duty. Unless action is bound to it, in which case, use it.

If you need to hit a number, just reach up with whatever finger is closest.

RIGHT HAND

Right thumb on M3, if you have it on your mouse.

Right pinky does nothing, cut that finger off and replace it with a blowtorch for when you need to cut through metal.

Right ring finger on M4, if you have it on your mouse.

Right middle finger on M2, AKA "right mouse button". If your mouse doesn't have a right mouse button, this entire line of explanation is irrelevant because Macs don't have games.

Right index finger on M1, AKA "left mouse button"

There, that's how you play with KB/M. Now set your controller on fire, lest you devolve into a couch-back-leaning, relaxing-all-muscles Jabba the Hutt parody, and presumably soil yourself because that's all I can imagine when people say "oh I like to lean back in the couch".

#22 Posted by SlashDance (1818 posts) -

@Terramagi: He meant you can't have analog control on a keyboard. And he's right also. Locked movement speed is as backwards to me as playing a first person game with a controller is to some people.

#23 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

@Terramagi: He meant you can't have analog control on a keyboard. And he's right also. Locked movement speed is as backwards to me as playing a first person game with a controller is to some people.

That's why the gamesmiths invented the shift key thousands of years ago.

See, based on the games you play, sometimes it makes you go slow.

Other times it makes you go FAST.

#24 Posted by SlashDance (1818 posts) -

@Terramagi: You don't say !

That's still not analog control but the point is some people prefer the feel of playing with a controller. And again there's no need for high precision in this game so no one method is objectively better than the other.

#25 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
No way I could ever play this game without a mouse.  Trying to use blink to quickly target the side of pipes and such to climb up onto them in the middle of a bad situation is often finicky enough even with the precision of a mouse. 
 
@hibblejibble said:

How about the ability to change movement speed fluidly as opposed to 'w' to run, 'shift' to walk? That's pretty important in this game, that involves sneaking along narrow pipes carefully and sneaking up behind people without making too much sound. The inability to do this on kb&m has always annoyed me.

Well, as far as movement speed, you're not exactly all that quick in this game to begin with, and moving while sneaking is more than slow enough for even the most precarious maneuvering and platforming.  As for sneaking up on enemies, you're completely silent while sneaking anyway, and you're always going to be heard if you get near them without sneaking, so analog doesn't really play a role there.
 
If anything, in my opinion, moving carefully on small ledges and pipes is easier in first-person games with mouse and keyboard because you have the fluid camera control of a mouse to maximize your spatial awareness, which seems to be what traditionally trips people up about platforming in first-person.  Even fine control of directional movement is excellent as long as you're comfortable with using the directional keys and mouse in tandem to finely adjust where you're moving as needed, so that's not even really a factor.
 
I understand having a preference for the tactile element of having fluid control of your movement speed, but I haven't come across any circumstances where analog would actually make anything in the game more functional, like how it does in third-person games with fixed camera sequences or racing games where fine turning control is a clear advantage.
#26 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

@Terramagi: Both views are perfectly valid. It really comes down to personal preferences. No need to get pissy and devolve this into a flame war.

#27 Posted by Matt (963 posts) -

I started on KB/M but I found myself not using more than 4 key binds anyway and I think analogue movement for stealth just feels better.

#28 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

why is it a console game.

#29 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@Terramagi: Both views are perfectly valid. It really comes down to personal preferences. No need to get pissy and devolve this into a flame war.

Your control method requires auto-aim. Mine doesn't.

@Bell_End said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

why is it a console game.

Because it's 2012 and PC gaming is dead due to piracy and entitlement.

Are you a bad enough dude to save the president.

#30 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

A lot of dick-waving going on in here. Congrats ladies, you're all the prettiest.

I messed around with both control methods and, based on the way the game plays, I don't think that either way is immediately superior to the other. It speaks well of Dishonored's design that I didn't immediately feel handicapped by the controller in a first-person game. In the end, I stuck with KB+M solely because I kept getting PMs from friends asking about the game.

#31 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@mordukai said:

@Terramagi: Both views are perfectly valid. It really comes down to personal preferences. No need to get pissy and devolve this into a flame war.

Your control method requires auto-aim. Mine doesn't.

@Bell_End said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

why is it a console game.

Because it's 2012 and PC gaming is dead due to piracy and entitlement.

Are you a bad enough dude to save the president.

Is that a joke? "Pc gaming is dead" pfffwahahaha don't make me laugh kid.

#32 Posted by hibblejibble (3 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@hibblejibble said:

@Deusx said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

I understand all of those points but if you happen to play on your desk with the ease of using a keyboard and mouse why would you go for a controller? I was exaggerating when I said it's horrible but I mean, wouldn't you want the pixel perfect fidelity of a mouse? The keybinds on a keyboard? I would never play an FPS with a controller if I had the choice. Not saying they are bad but not what I would want to play games like that. Maybe it's also the fact that I play a lot of Counter Strike...

How about the ability to change movement speed fluidly as opposed to 'w' to run, 'shift' to walk? That's pretty important in this game, that involves sneaking along narrow pipes carefully and sneaking up behind people without making too much sound. The inability to do this on kb&m has always annoyed me.

If you can't hit Control, Shift, and W (and maybe A or D) at the same time, you're obviously new at this KB/M thing, because that's something you should pick up from any first person game in short order.

Maybe I didn't make my point clearly. What I meant is that I prefer the ability to go from standing position to running in a fluid increment, as opposed to walk, run, walk, run. Being able to slowly push the analogue stick very very slightly to move at turtle pace is something that you can't do with keyboard buttons.

Also, as someone above mentioned, as the game doesn't rely too heavily on accuracy, using an analogue stick (that is much less sensitive than the mouse of course) isn't too much of a bother.

So I guess it's a balance of movement sensitivity, and aiming sensitivity. Since the game is based more on movement, I'll go with the gamepad. Of course, if it's Counter Strike of BF3 for example (games that focus much more on aiming than movement), it would always be kb&m.

#33 Posted by hibblejibble (3 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@Dizzyhippos said:

@Terramagi said:

@hibblejibble said:

@Deusx said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

Why would you use a controller with a first person shooter? That's horrible. This isn't Halo.

It's a console game. It works just fine with a controller, just like every game released on consoles. This isn't 1999, and yes, it isn't Halo, the game that made FPSs with a controller work and make sense. And some people (I'd say many, judging by Valve's recent release of Big Picture mode) like to hook their PC up to their TV, myself included, and play games in a comfortable chair or couch. A cumbersome keyboard and flat-surface-requiring mouse doesn't work in that setting. And at the end of the day, it's a video game. It doesn't hurt my pride to play it the less traditional way.

I understand all of those points but if you happen to play on your desk with the ease of using a keyboard and mouse why would you go for a controller? I was exaggerating when I said it's horrible but I mean, wouldn't you want the pixel perfect fidelity of a mouse? The keybinds on a keyboard? I would never play an FPS with a controller if I had the choice. Not saying they are bad but not what I would want to play games like that. Maybe it's also the fact that I play a lot of Counter Strike...

How about the ability to change movement speed fluidly as opposed to 'w' to run, 'shift' to walk? That's pretty important in this game, that involves sneaking along narrow pipes carefully and sneaking up behind people without making too much sound. The inability to do this on kb&m has always annoyed me.

If you can't hit Control, Shift, and W (and maybe A or D) at the same time, you're obviously new at this KB/M thing, because that's something you should pick up from any first person game in short order.

Please dont turn this into a flame war, dude that made this post was just asking preferance

How the hell is that flaming? You want to see flaming? Fine, okay.

Look, I know you're new at this whole "using more than a single finger and a thumb on both of your stumps at the same time", but god dammit you should be using 4 fingers at all times because you aren't preoccupied with such quaint concerns as "holding the controller up" like a troglodyte.

LEFT HAND

Left thumb on space bar, at all times.

Left pinky on control, when you need it. Otherwise, on A.

Left ring finger on W, unless you are using control, or need shift. In which case, shift.

Left middle finger on D, unless you are using control or shift, in which case A and W. Also E, if action is bound to it.

Left index finger on F, to be kept in reserve for when you're on control or shifting duty. Unless action is bound to it, in which case, use it.

If you need to hit a number, just reach up with whatever finger is closest.

RIGHT HAND

Right thumb on M3, if you have it on your mouse.

Right pinky does nothing, cut that finger off and replace it with a blowtorch for when you need to cut through metal.

Right ring finger on M4, if you have it on your mouse.

Right middle finger on M2, AKA "right mouse button". If your mouse doesn't have a right mouse button, this entire line of explanation is irrelevant because Macs don't have games.

Right index finger on M1, AKA "left mouse button"

There, that's how you play with KB/M. Now set your controller on fire, lest you devolve into a couch-back-leaning, relaxing-all-muscles Jabba the Hutt parody, and presumably soil yourself because that's all I can imagine when people say "oh I like to lean back in the couch".

The autism. It hurts. Learn to read next time. A flame war wasn't even necessary.

#34 Posted by Dietomaha (111 posts) -

Controller. Started off with keyboard and mouse, but the controller just feels more comfortable. Both seem fine though.

#35 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

When I buy it I'll most likely use a controller. I grew up with PC games but nowadays I often prefer controllers even when I sit at my computer desk.

#36 Edited by Jams (2961 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@Dizzyhippos said:

@Terramagi said:

@hibblejibble said:

@Deusx said:

@PillClinton said:

@Deusx said:

How the hell is that flaming? You want to see flaming? Fine, okay.

Look, I know you're new at this whole "using more than a single finger and a thumb on both of your stumps at the same time", but god dammit you should be using 4 fingers at all times because you aren't preoccupied with such quaint concerns as "holding the controller up" like a troglodyte.

LEFT HAND

Left thumb on space bar, at all times.

Left pinky on control, when you need it. Otherwise, on A.

Left ring finger on W, unless you are using control, or need shift. In which case, shift.

Left middle finger on D, unless you are using control or shift, in which case A and W. Also E, if action is bound to it.

Left index finger on F, to be kept in reserve for when you're on control or shifting duty. Unless action is bound to it, in which case, use it.

If you need to hit a number, just reach up with whatever finger is closest.

RIGHT HAND

Right thumb on M3, if you have it on your mouse.

Right pinky does nothing, cut that finger off and replace it with a blowtorch for when you need to cut through metal.

Right ring finger on M4, if you have it on your mouse.

Right middle finger on M2, AKA "right mouse button". If your mouse doesn't have a right mouse button, this entire line of explanation is irrelevant because Macs don't have games.

Right index finger on M1, AKA "left mouse button"

There, that's how you play with KB/M. Now set your controller on fire, lest you devolve into a couch-back-leaning, relaxing-all-muscles Jabba the Hutt parody, and presumably soil yourself because that's all I can imagine when people say "oh I like to lean back in the couch".

WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?!? You had me until you explained where your dick beaters go on the keyboard and now I'm not so sure about you.

  • Left Pinky Finger : Starts on the shift key. Can be pivoted to Ctrl and Caps Lock
  • Left Ring Finger : Starts on the A key. Can be pivoted to Q, Z and 1
  • Left Middle Finger : Starts on W key. Can be pivoted to S, X and 2
  • Left Index Finger: Starts on D key. Can be pivoted to E, C, R, F, V, 3, 4 (T, G, B, 5, 6 with some stretching)
  • Left Thumb : Always on the space bar Or stuck frimly up your ass depending on who you are
#37 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Wow, this thread got hilarious fast. Glad I went to bed immediately after writing the comment that seemed to start that insanely idiotic quote pyramid. I'll leave you all with this: PERSONAL FUCKING PREFERENCE, FUCK OFF WITH THIS RIGHT/WRONG BULLSHIT, AND GO COMPARE DICK SIZES SOMEPLACE WHERE IT MATTERS A LITTLE MORE THAN CONTROL METHODS FOR A FUCKING VIDEO GAME.

I'll also kindly point out that no one who prefers gamepad in here seemed to claim that KB/M is "wrong," or "monstrous," or whatever the fuck else, so what does that say?

#38 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2492 posts) -

Tried it with both, ended up with mouse+kb. Both were fine tho.

#39 Posted by MyElbowsFellOff (18 posts) -

I found kbm to be pretty much essential to chaining several powers and weapons together quickly and precisely. Playing this with a gamepad seems like playing a piano with boxing gloves to me.

#40 Posted by Twinsun (478 posts) -

I would think it might be easier to pull off certain things with a keyboard and mouse, but I haven't tried it with a controller yet.

In the end, it's all about what feels best for you. There is no wrong or right.

#41 Posted by fetchfox (1272 posts) -

I'm pulling off ghost and no kill runs (after getting to know the game) with gamepad, works great for me. Just my preference for this game.

#42 Posted by rolanthas (243 posts) -

Did a ghost run with gamepad, and a chaos run with kb/m.

This isn't Quake, mouse precision and speed isn't necessary unless you're tackling 8 guys and 2 tallboys without using slow time.

I really have no clue why some people can't even respect other's choice of peripheral. Used to be that pc gamers fucking gloated using absurd peripherals for absurd genres, all for the sake of fun and experimentation.

#43 Posted by caska (124 posts) -

I started off using the keyboard but then felt that the controller worked out better for me. Either way worked but the controller was more comfortable in a similar way to playing Skyrim with one. Plus it's kinda cool that the rumbles tie in with the music.

#44 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

@Deusx said:

Keyboard and Mouse, I'm not a fucking monster.

Yeah you are.

Gamepad. It doesn't feel right with K&M. Something was just off. Since XCOM is already a controller game, I decided to do Dishonored with it as well.

#45 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Not playing a Deus Ex-esque game with a board of keys and a mouse is not the way I choose my life to be lived by me.

#46 Posted by Barrock (3536 posts) -

Keyboard and mouse. Choke button is designated to one of the mouse's thumb buttons and it feels... visceral.

#47 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Barrock said:

Choke button is designated to one of the mouse's thumb buttons and it feels... visceral.

Bind it to tilde + keypad minus. Use your thumbs to hit the keys.

#48 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

Using KBM just made Blink and leaning more useful for me. I could blink out of locations faster with my mouse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.