I saw Dishonored, and I think it could be awesome.

Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

I was covering QuakeCon 2011 here in Dallas for The Dallas Morning News (just as a freelancer. I'm not on staff). So I got the chance to sit in on a Dishonored demo, but the newspaper only wanted a wrap-up story, not individual game impressions. So I decided to write up some game impressions on my personal blog. The Dishonored entry is here.

Normally I wouldn't shamelessly promote myself like that, but I didn't see anyone talking about the game here, and I think it's looking really cool. Since Giant Bomb didn't cover Quakecon, I figured I'd put up my impressions as a member of the Giant Bomb community and get your thoughts on the game. I personally think it has a lot of potential, even though it might look a bit like a BioShock clone (more specifically, BioShock Infinite) when you first see it. It seems to be doing it's own thing, and doing it well.

::EDIT:: To clarify (since there seems to be a bit of confusion), this game does NOT look like a Bioshock "clone" in terms of gameplay or anything when you really see it in action. That's just the very first reaction some people might have if they see the right screenshots or snippets of gameplay. The character models and animation have the same sort of feel as Bioshock Infinite, if only at first glance. But the game itself is very much it's own thing, and is probably in fact closer to something like Thief or Deus Ex than it is Bioshock.

#1 Edited by Sargus (726 posts) -

I was covering QuakeCon 2011 here in Dallas for The Dallas Morning News (just as a freelancer. I'm not on staff). So I got the chance to sit in on a Dishonored demo, but the newspaper only wanted a wrap-up story, not individual game impressions. So I decided to write up some game impressions on my personal blog. The Dishonored entry is here.

Normally I wouldn't shamelessly promote myself like that, but I didn't see anyone talking about the game here, and I think it's looking really cool. Since Giant Bomb didn't cover Quakecon, I figured I'd put up my impressions as a member of the Giant Bomb community and get your thoughts on the game. I personally think it has a lot of potential, even though it might look a bit like a BioShock clone (more specifically, BioShock Infinite) when you first see it. It seems to be doing it's own thing, and doing it well.

::EDIT:: To clarify (since there seems to be a bit of confusion), this game does NOT look like a Bioshock "clone" in terms of gameplay or anything when you really see it in action. That's just the very first reaction some people might have if they see the right screenshots or snippets of gameplay. The character models and animation have the same sort of feel as Bioshock Infinite, if only at first glance. But the game itself is very much it's own thing, and is probably in fact closer to something like Thief or Deus Ex than it is Bioshock.

#2 Posted by Marz (5652 posts) -

I just read the whole GameInformer article and it seems like it could be special.

#3 Posted by Nate (703 posts) -

Cool. Sounds very promising indeed. Then again, this is a Bethesda published game so my expectations are firmly grounded  ;)

#4 Posted by Tordah (2479 posts) -

Sounds like something I would play if it turns out good. I'm very interested to see some gameplay footage of this now.

#5 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Not so sure about the Bioshock Infinite-clone impression. In looks, perhaps, but it seems to be going a very different route in terms of gameplay. 

If you check out the RPS interview, you'll see that it's an extremely free-form stealth game, and the devs tried to give a taste of everything in the demo. Hence the massive amount of action. From the way they sell it in that piece, it comes across as a modern take on Thief.

Absolutely desperate to get my hands on it.
#6 Edited by Sargus (726 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

Not so sure about the Bioshock Infinite-clone impression. In looks, perhaps, but it seems to be going a very different route in terms of gameplay. If you check out the RPS interview, you'll see that it's an extremely free-form stealth game, and the devs tried to give a taste of everything in the demo. Hence the massive amount of action. From the way they sell it in that piece, it comes across as a modern take on Thief. Absolutely desperate to get my hands on it.

That's why I said it may come across as Bioshock Infinite-like "when you first see it." I definitely agree that it's a modern mix of Thief and Deus Ex with a bit of Bioshock sprinkled in. That's what the pedigree is, so it makes sense. But I saw that for myself when I was given the same demo that RPS got, with much of the same information.

#7 Posted by EnchantedEcho (739 posts) -

I saw it at gamescom behind closed doors, thought it looked fantastic. Were you shown the level that starts in the sewer?

#8 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I can't see how a game can be cloning a game that is not released yet.

#9 Posted by EnchantedEcho (739 posts) -

@buzz_killington: It looks like Bioshock Infinite, as in 'visuals/graphics'. It's the character models that gave me that impression which you can probably see for you self with the few screenshots that have been released. It's different to Bioshock in a lot of ways though, the setting, combat and mission structure are all very different to Bioshock.

#10 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

@EnchantedEcho: My demo started at the docks. What was the mission in yours?

@buzz_killington: As EnchantedEcho said, it gives a bit of a Bioshock Infinite vibe from the character models and animation, mostly. But it differentiates itself very quickly.

#11 Posted by EnchantedEcho (739 posts) -

@Sargus: Mine started in the sewers and the goal of the mission was to assassinate a corrupt lawyer or something? It might have been the same because the demo there was a dock-like area following the sewers.

#12 Edited by Sargus (726 posts) -

@EnchantedEcho: Yeah, that sounds the same. Still, I know that the scenario played out two different ways the two different times they showed it behind closed doors at QuakeCon (a buddy of mine was in the second demo), so you might have seen things I didn't.

#13 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Apparently the mission they showed isn't even from the final product, they just threw lots of the elements that the game will have into it to give a taste. 

Good idea, too. I hate being burned out on a section before I've even had a chance to play it. 

Need. This. Game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.