Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

Important thing to know before I do anything stupid (saves)

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dogma

I have just started playing this game but I have spent over six hours playing it and I recently completed my first real mission. Love this game so far.

Now, my problem is that I also record video of games and put up on my website. But the thing is I don't want to risk loosing my save files because I want to replay parts of the earlier mission to show my viewers the cool parts. And I have heard alot of different things how the save states and the autosave works in this game. I heard that all autosaves disapear if you go back to a old mission, is that really correct? Is the only way to go back to a more new mission by choosing it through the mission select option? How does the game handle manual saves I've made? Does those get deleted too?

At this point I think I'm quite safe. As I said, I recently came back home to the base after completing the first mission. That would mean that I can reach the second mission just by choosing it on the mission select option. Can I go back to a earlier point in mission 1, play/record a part of it and then return to a manual save I did in the beginning at Mission 2? What if I go in with a manual save but then the game autosaves because I walk past a trigger point in Mission 1? Can I stil return to my regular playthrough by choosing "continue" on the main menu? really don't wanna risk loosing all that progress. Also....I play on a Xbox 360 if that makes things different.

Also...Mission 2 begins the moment after the Mission summary screen disapears, right? So that would mean Mission 2 begins in the base.

So my point is. Is it safe to replay missions without risk loosing actual progress saves? How does it work? Help me people!

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Marcsman

Manually save it and you'll be fine.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dogma

@Marcsman said:

So that means that the game only deletes it's autosaves?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Whoa whoa whoa. You're asking like a dozen questions at once. I keep reading your post, but I don't know quite exactly what you're saying. But you can save literally anywhere you want in the game. So I'll just say that if it's really a big deal to you, then save often, and keep track of where you are when you save it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Dogma said:

@Marcsman said:

Yes. It doesn't delete manual saves.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dogma

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Dogma said:

@Marcsman said:

Yes. It doesn't delete manual saves.

Yeah....first of all I'm sorry that I wrote a bunch of different stuff and mabey confused you guys but I just wanted to cover all types of problems or scenarios that coudl happen. I had googled this but without any luck (except for Gamefaqs & Gamespot hits but those sites are down) so I felt I wanted to be really sure becaue I had read wierd stuff about the save system.

What I don't want is to go back to a manual save and then realize I can't return to Mission 2 (in this case) because it potentially could have delated my saves or overwritten them. That was my fear.

EDIT: Oh yeah.... thanks! I think I dare to do my thing now. ^^

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By corruptsaves

Yikes that's a lot of rabble, manual saves work just fine! They have different pictures on the level your on as well.

Did you have a bad experience with The Walking Dead? :P

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By TheMasterDS

It does limit manual saves though, just a heads up. But then you can always go back to any mission from the main menu.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

For clarity, there are three kinds of saves:

Manual saves

• The game will not delete these. There may be a limit on the number of these saves you can have but it's probably pretty high (20+).

Quicksaves

• A quicksave is what's saved/loaded whenever you hit F5/F9. There's only one quicksave slot and it's overwritten each time you hit F5. To my knowledge the game will not overwrite or delete a quicksave on its own.

Auto-saves

• This one is where the game automatically saves at predetermined locations. There's only one auto-save slot and it's overwritten every time you hit a valid checkpoint. This save will be wiped if you start a new game or progress from an older save to a different checkpoint.

--

Bonus: Why do I hyphenate "auto-save" but not "quicksave"? I have no idea!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By mordukai

Save system in this is bat shit crazy. By the end of the game my Load Save screen looked like someone took them all, ate them, and then proceeded to shit them all over an innocent hard drive.

@Dogma: If you want to use the Auto Saves to record really cool shit in this game then I suggest to record before leaving the level. As soon as you proceed to the next level the auto saves get rewritten.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.