Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

Looks really good

dprabon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By dprabon

I can't wait for more material on this game. The art style and storyline seem Ridiculous in a good way.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Really not sure what to make of it other than games under Bethesda make alright lookin' trailers.

Oh and it looks like the recently leaked stuff from Bethesda wasn't Skyrim DLC, but this.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bighat_logan

No one has seen gameplay yet. No one can say anything about it.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dogma

@bighat_logan said:

No one has seen gameplay yet. No one can say anything about it.

To have an opinion about the look and premiss of the game should be okey though? Arkane have talked a lot about how the gameplay will work but they have not showed it in video form yet. They have showed in game video and screenshots though and it looks quite nice. I really dig the visual tone of the game.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@bighat_logan: : GameInformer had this as their cover story awhile back and I've been stoked for it ever since.

Its not just a fancy trailer, theres a whole mess of info on it.

Can't wait to see how it unfolds, probably one of the games I am most excited for.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

Arkane Studios. I mean, it'll have some pretty solid first person immersion, but a terrible story and repetitive combat, right? Right?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Lukeweizer

You guys do realize that this isn't a Bethesda DEVELOPED game, right? It's just published by Bethesda. And Bethesda Publishing hasn't had the greatest track record... unless it was developed by Bethesda.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrockNRolla

Gotta see gameplay to know where this is going. Could be a turn-based, card-combat game for all I know from the trailer. (I know it isn't, but a CG trailer can't tell you anything meaningful about an actual game.)

Setting looks interesting I guess for what that's worth.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

Here's what pisses me off: the debut trailer shows everything in a hyper-realistic CGI graphical style, but the game itself is far more stylized than that in terms of look. This trailer will get people interested, perhaps people outside of what the general scope of what the game will be already, but many will become disinterested once they find out the graphics don't look like that at all. If anything, the debut trailer makes the game seem like Assassin's Creed in a steampunk world, and with the way that Arkane has talked about it, it seems way more akin to something like Bioshock in an open world setting.

Moreover, people HAVE seen gameplay, as they were showing demos behind closed doors at QuakeCon last year. My buddy who helps run stuff on the floor got to check it out, and he said it looked pretty badass, but the open world stuff they showed off felt more akin to Assassin's Creed than to something like Elder Scrolls or Fallout or something like that. All hands-off demo.

@Lukeweizer said:

You guys do realize that this isn't a Bethesda DEVELOPED game, right? It's just published by Bethesda. And Bethesda Publishing hasn't had the greatest track record... unless it was developed by Bethesda.

That's the OTHER thing that's going to piss me off: every person I've heard talk about this game since the trailer debuted has given all the credit to Bethesda, and that just drives me nuts. As a fan of the Gothic series, Arkane deserves a HELL of a lot of credit that they just aren't going to get. Also, Bethesda publishing has been filled with a lot of PROMISING stuff (Brink, Prey 2, Rage, etc), but I always think back to when I played Damnation and remember that Bethesda's publishing side is actually pretty iffy.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@project343 said:

Arkane Studios. I mean, it'll have some pretty solid first person immersion, but a terrible story and repetitive combat, right? Right?

Wrong. Arkane do excellent combat.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lukeweizer

@jakob187 said:

Here's what pisses me off: the debut trailer shows everything in a hyper-realistic CGI graphical style, but the game itself is far more stylized than that in terms of look. This trailer will get people interested, perhaps people outside of what the general scope of what the game will be already, but many will become disinterested once they find out the graphics don't look like that at all. If anything, the debut trailer makes the game seem like Assassin's Creed in a steampunk world, and with the way that Arkane has talked about it, it seems way more akin to something like Bioshock in an open world setting.

Moreover, people HAVE seen gameplay, as they were showing demos behind closed doors at QuakeCon last year. My buddy who helps run stuff on the floor got to check it out, and he said it looked pretty badass, but the open world stuff they showed off felt more akin to Assassin's Creed than to something like Elder Scrolls or Fallout or something like that. All hands-off demo.

@Lukeweizer said:

That's the OTHER thing that's going to piss me off: every person I've heard talk about this game since the trailer debuted has given all the credit to Bethesda, and that just drives me nuts. As a fan of the Gothic series, Arkane deserves a HELL of a lot of credit that they just aren't going to get. Also, Bethesda publishing has been filled with a lot of PROMISING stuff (Brink, Prey 2, Rage, etc), but I always think back to when I played Damnation and remember that Bethesda's publishing side is actually pretty iffy.

Don't forget Wet.

And don't think I'm trying to talk shit about the game with my comment. It just blows me away that people are jizzing over this CG trailer. Yeah, it's a neat trailer. But that's all it is. If people have seen the real game and said it's neat, that's a different story. But I'm done with falling for over-stylized trailers for marketing purposes.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Grimhild

Interesting premise and pedigree, but I'll never trust a pre-rendered trailer to get me excited for a game again after Hellgate: London. What a f*cking disappointment that was.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By project343

@SeriouslyNow: Repetitive and good can be mutually exclusive.

Skyrim: bad combat that isn't repetitive

Amalur: good combat that is repetitive

:P

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@project343 said:

@SeriouslyNow: Repetitive and good can be mutually exclusive.

Skyrim: bad combat that isn't repetitive

Amalur: good combat that is repetitive

:P

Sure but Arkane do combat that is good because it's not repetitive.

In Arx Fatalis you cast spells using drawn runes, fought with your hands and used weapons of different varieties.

In Dark Messiah you cast spells, use weapons and you can get to kick dudes and the environment.

Both have dynamic flow based on the choices you make in combat and no two fights are the same.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By project343

@SeriouslyNow: I'll be honest and say that I've never played Arx Fatalis, but Dark Messiah's combat grew a little too stale a couple hours in. Always turned into a kickfest where you'd move a guy from one side of the room into an environmental hazard on the other. Or you'd just poke him a bunch, like a physics-focused Skyrim alternative.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By Hector

It's probably going to be the same engine they used for Skyrim. Same UI too...I'm just assuming.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Being a subscriber to a german game magazine named "Gamestar", I've read perhaps a good twenty pages worth of information on the game to this point. And well, I'll be honest with you and just admit to being too lazy to provide you all with plethora of information handed out, so I'll just toss you girsl a few bones. First of all, though, it's an in-house engine, the game looks utterly and absolutely gorgeous; from a technical and artistic stand-point. It's the lead-artist that worked on Half-Life 2; which shouldn't be too hard to believe after taking another glance at one of those APCs or them walkers.

The studio itself is also highly capable of making good-looking games. For example; Arkane Studios developed the water-effects for Bioshock. The reason we haven't heard much of Arkane Studios in the last few years is because a title they'd been working on wasn't picked up on despite being (judging from the few previews) very promising. The game was called Crossfire or Crossroad or some such; and the reason it bombed is because the technical aspect of the game seemed too risky for the publishers. In the game; you played a sneaky-sword-fighting bugger with extra-ordinary powers (any of you see a pattern yet?) but most of the enemies were infact other players playing a Battlefield-esque capture and hold meta-game. So the multiplayer of the game was basically a complex shooter, where-as the single-player game was a roleplaying-stealth game that was directly incorporated into the multiplayer. The rogue single-player character a constant threat to the multiplayer players as he had land-scape changing abilities.

"Gamestar" once more lamented the game's demise as the greatest missed opportunity in the last generation of gaming. you've gotta' admit, it sounds pretty awesome..

So, now; they took most of the elements from their last game and screwed down the complexity of it to actually find a place in the market, and heeeey, you've got Dishonoured! The game is pretty much trying to emulate Deus Ex (more of Deus Ex 1, rather than Human Revolution in that the environments are far grander, mimicking that of a pseudo-open world) in that you can tackle every situation by different approaches, yet there are two prominent gameplay aspects, stealth and (wait for it) sword-fighting! There will be guns, yes; but it seems they fulfill the role of a Blunderbuss or early Colt; in that they hold a single, or very few bullets in each clip. They've been speaking of the sword-fighting as a highly intricate affair that should be approached in the same mindset as the stealth; that is a careful and tactical approach.

One thing can be said for Arkane Studios; they've always tried something new with each game. Arx Fatalis remains one of the best games I've ever played with a still-unique spell-system; and Dark Messiah, while not perfect still has the best first-person melee-combat to this day by miles; and did things with physics that other games hadn't even thought of at the time. So.. Dishonoured, I'm excited, can you tell?

Also, hey, uhh.. Cool trailer. (It actually is pretty gorgeous. It's not often you can make something seem genuinely dirty using CGI; there's all-too-often an unrealistic sheen to most surfaces. Hell, I swear you can see your reflection in Ivy's breasts in any Soul Calibur trailer.)

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Meh, i'll need to see some gameplay...and reviews first.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@project343 said:

@SeriouslyNow: I'll be honest and say that I've never played Arx Fatalis, but Dark Messiah's combat grew a little too stale a couple hours in. Always turned into a kickfest where you'd move a guy from one side of the room into an environmental hazard on the other. Or you'd just poke him a bunch, like a physics-focused Skyrim alternative.

I gather you didn't play very far into DM because the game's combat opens up a lot about mid way through the game. What you're describing is combat based on what you learn in the first level based on Phenigrim says to do.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By project343

@SeriouslyNow: I honestly can't remember. I just remember it growing rather stale within the first few hours. I couldn't have invested anymore than 5 hours into the game, because it was growing into a chore. I remember being dumbstruck by the physics-focused combat in the demo, and that instantly selling me a copy of the game. There were great ideas, but I remember it almost seeming held back by the Source engine at the time--like how certain magic spells were basically Half-Life 2 missiles.

And fuck the story was terrible, as well as the voice acting.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@jakob187 said:

@Lukeweizer said:

What does Damnation have anything to do with Bethesda? Codemasters published and Omega Blue (now defunct) developed it.

joles434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joles434

I like the art style, but not a big fan of the character designs.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Phatmac

I'm tired of CGI trailers being the first thing shown about a game. It's deceiving to people that don't know much about games and end up thinking that the game will look and play that way. I'd always prefer actual gameplay over CGI trailers that tell me nothing about the actual game.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

There's not much to talk about in reality, but, yeah, it does seem like a good game in the works.

If Dragon's Dogma turns out shit (which it might) I may wait a while for this...

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By iamjohn

@jakob187 said:

Also, Bethesda publishing has been filled with a lot of PROMISING stuff (Brink, Prey 2, Rage, etc), but I always think back to when I played Damnation and remember that Bethesda's publishing side is actually pretty iffy.

Damnation was Codemasters, dude.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@project343 said:

@SeriouslyNow: I honestly can't remember. I just remember it growing rather stale within the first few hours. I couldn't have invested anymore than 5 hours into the game, because it was growing into a chore. I remember being dumbstruck by the physics-focused combat in the demo, and that instantly selling me a copy of the game. There were great ideas, but I remember it almost seeming held back by the Source engine at the time--like how certain magic spells were basically Half-Life 2 missiles.

And fuck the story was terrible, as well as the voice acting.

I think you should give the game a second look. It is a little slow at the start but it definitely gets a lot better. And voice acting? We live in the age of Bethesda games....STOP! YOU'VE VIOLATED THE LAW! etc etc. The voice acting is fine and no better or worse than any other big budget fantasy action game.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By DeF

most interesting game nobody (or hardly anybody) is talking about for 2012, no doubt!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By TheHT

It looks like Bioshock meets Assassin's Creed.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By project343

@SeriouslyNow: For the most part, Bethesda's voice acting is pretty fantastic, given the sheer breadth of it. One of the larger issues is the writing and lack of variety to it.

I, however, remember laughing hysterically at the 'bad saturday morning cartoon villain' sound of your mentor. I mean, this is among the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a video game.

Ultimately this is a completely unforgivable comparison. Why? Because Dark Messiah, from what I gather, is a 7-15 hour linear adventure game. And you're comparing it to a fully-voice acted 150+ hour open world RPG. Yet, all 150+ hours is filled with remarkably better voice talent and writing than that 7-15 hour adventure game (at least from what I've played of it).

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@project343: I'm comparing the voice acting of which Oblivion has a ton of awful examples. Look, you don't want to play the game, I get that but don't discount the game because you don't want to play it. It's not a 7 hr game on PC, nor is it 15 hr game. It's an action RPG and it's a lot of fun. Mediocre voice acting exists in many many games. So what? You're not appreciating high art and Shakespearian theatrics, you're playing a game. Even Skyrim has its faults in the voice acting department, let alone its combat which is still not a lot better than Oblivion's.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By project343

@SeriouslyNow: Oblivion also had some pretty fine voice acting. It was mostly the budget that held them back from a variety of voice actors, but those handful of actors still did a pretty impeccable job especially--as you're suggesting--at a time when the standards for video game voice acting were fairly low.

And you're actually quite wrong. I do want to play this game, perhaps to completion. You can thank your passion for that: certainly not something that can go unnoticed. But bringing this all the way back Arkane Studios and Dishonored... I stand by what I said. Arkane Studios is certainly an ambitious development studio filled with fantastic ideas; they have a track-record of having difficulty bringing those ambitions into light. An open world, first-person-immersion stealth game set in a steampunk environment sounds fantastic, but it also sounds rather difficult to pull off. Cautious optimism seems like the best way to approach this title.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I don't know about this...I am still playing Skyrim and if this is just more of that type of game....I think i'm good on it

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Morrow

I was about to get really excited for this game - then saw it's only first-person perspective :[

Avatar image for rustledjimmies117
    RustledJimmies117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my dream game. Artistically appealing, open world, 60 fps and pretty sharp graphics (PC version), Dark (and not childish GOW-style Dark, Closer to Witcher Dark) Main influence is the Thief Series and Bioshock. DEDICATED STEAM-PUNK STYLE, Immersive (first person view and no ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED every three seconds (PC version) ) I'm going to preorder the second it hits the steam stores.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.