Man... you can do some incredible stuff in this game

#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4750 posts) -

So I've been playing Dishonored for the past few days and man it is one incredible experience. However, I've just been playing stealth mostly and with stealth I tend to avoid combat as much as possible. Now I've gotten into a few fights and ya they are fun but I come to games like this to never be spotted, and I know some people don't enjoy those experiences as much as others do. So I'm sorry this post is borderline spam but I just wanted to show how incredible these systems can be when they work together. If I had to sum the game up in one word it would be: systems. There are so many things you can do and interact with and its amazing what happens when you can interact with them together. This video just blew me away, being stealth by killing everyone isn't something you can do in every game and obviously it can be done with the right skill in Dishonored. I'd encourage anyone to play the game who is on the edge or somewhat curious.

EDIT: I cant see the video so if nobody else can't let me know. I will link the video here if you can't

#2 Edited by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

I have been sending my brother video's of me playing less then carelessly.. Blink in stab a guy, crossbow the witness, freeze time and then shoot the last guy and escape.. but nothing like that holy hell that's someone who has the systems down pat!..

Fun thing to do, Possess a guy then jump out of him, wait for the vomit animation then start choking him - instant hilarity..

Thinking about it now we should use this to our advantage and play some form of HORSE attempting to one up each other in Dishonored

#3 Posted by theoracleofgame (96 posts) -

JESUS CHRIST. After I finish my non-lethal hardest difficulty playthrough, I am SO playing through again this way. Looks great!

#4 Posted by rolanthas (250 posts) -

Yeah just finished my 2nd run as high chaos ( did my 1st playthrough as low chaos, of course ) and I'm shocked to see how the action is not just holding its own, but basically above and beyond majority of the titles I've played this generation.

Holy fuck, I can't wait to play this a 3rd time.

#5 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Looks cool, but once again shows me just how I am not made to play games in first-person view.

#6 Posted by falserelic (5476 posts) -

Man Dishonored was like a breath of fresh air. It feels like a free roam bioshock game it gives off that vibe. The first time I was playing this game I was murderer. I killed people who deserved my blade in the most creative ways. But in the end it came back to bite me in the ass I got the evil ending. So now I started a second playthrough, where I'm trying to be nonlethal on very hard mode.

But I'm not having as much fun as I did killing people. I have beast blood and a killer instinct. I just can't help killing someone so smoothly in a creative way.

#7 Posted by RazielCuts (2978 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: yeah I'm getting 'this video does not exist'.

Pretty cool stuff but I wish they'd found some way to map all the abilities to modifiers on the controller, its kind of jarring when you're in the flow of the fast paced combat to be popping in and out of the huge radial menu.

#8 Posted by Zaccheus (1798 posts) -

Well that was cool, I have tried to stealth but I seem to suck at it in this game. I did fine in Deus EX: HR. I'm basicly playing the game as a mass murderer, I think I killed 60 enemies in the first proper level and around 50 in the second. It has been fun and it's a bit easier when you don't have to worry about the bodies since they turn into ash.

#9 Posted by ozzdog12 (862 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: I play this game primarily as a stealth game. I think I'm almost done with my first playthrough, but man its just one of those games that just keeps on giving. It's really great

#10 Posted by mordukai (7159 posts) -

I'm having loads of fun too. Coming straight off of Thief 2 replay you can really see how Arkane set out to make the stealth in this game way more accessible for the mass market by speeding up combat and making you very lethal. I really like it that the ability to go straight out action is always there should you need it.

I do wish that using powers would have been stricter. As it stands right now I think it kinda overpowers you.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@mordukai said:

I'm having loads of fun too. Coming straight off of Thief 2 replay you can really see how Arkane set out to make the stealth in this game way more accessible for the mass market by speeding up combat and making you very lethal. I really like it that the ability to go straight out action is always there should you need it.

I do wish that using powers would have been stricter. As it stands right now I think it kinda overpowers you.

I'm going for the Flesh and Steel achievement in my game (no powers except Blink) and Corvo is still a badass. Relying mostly on tools and weapons instead of powers has a pretty different vibe about it.

#12 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (414 posts) -

When I started I really wasn't sure how to approach the game, there was a clear split in the abilities (stealth vs combat) and also a clear split in the objectives (lethal vs nonlethal). After getting into a couple fights early in the game, it became pretty clear that the game definitely leans toward stealth with an option for combat as the enemies do NOT play around. Stealth Combat (aka kill the witness) doesn't really become viable until later in the game when you have a decent stable of powers (slow time is probably the big one).

I remember one specific area where I have made a quicksave in a bad spot. Basically upon load I had maybe 3 seconds before a patrol on the other side of level discovers a body and sounds an alarm. Instead of reloading an earlier save, I immediately stopped time, sprinted and blinked across the rooftops, jumped down, shot him with a sleep dart and took cover. Time unfroze, the dart sailed into the overseer, I emerged from cover and stashed the body, allowing me to continue the mission and complete it with the Ghost & No Kill condition.

I rarely ever play through games a second time but there are a bunch of nifty combat-related achievements that I feel I really need to try and get.

#13 Posted by AssInAss (2678 posts) -

Now I feel bad for doing a non-lethal run! XD

Next playthrough, this will my inspiration and muse :D

#14 Posted by invadernick (260 posts) -

Having a ton of fun with the game too! Just out of curiosity, how many more missions until I end the game? Just took down the spymaster.

#15 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@mordukai said:

I'm going for the Flesh and Steel achievement in my game (no powers except Blink) and Corvo is still a badass. Relying mostly on tools and weapons instead of powers has a pretty different vibe about it.

I might give that a try, I didn't really use any of my gadgets by the end of the game and had so much ammo for everything..

#16 Posted by Sackmanjones (4750 posts) -
@Genkkaku

@Ravenlight said:

@mordukai said:

I might give that a try, I didn't really use any of my gadgets by the end of the game and had so much ammo for everything..

I'm no achievement hunter but I think dishonored has some really great ones. For the flesh and steel can you still have the passive abilities?
#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Sackmanjones:

The achievement says

You finished the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink

So I don't think you can even touch that skill tree.

#18 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I was doing a nonlethal run lately, and one of the assassins in the Golden Cat mission spotted me. I was like oh shit, oh shit, I have to kill this guy.

But then, fate (and AI) intervened. I blinked down to the distillery and Slackjaw's guys shot the assassin in the face. My hands were clean! Non lethality continues!

My friend was playing the game and doing the first real mission, the High Overseer, and revealed himself in the meeting room prematurely. At first it was an oh shit moment, but what should happen? Someone attempts to shoot him, misses, and nails the High Overseer instead, effectively completing his mission without him lifting a finger. Fantastic.

Also I love this game to death.

#19 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Sackmanjones:

The achievement says

You finished the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink

So I don't think you can even touch that skill tree.

Yeah it's no skills active or passive just Blink, which is super interesting.. I think the main downside would be missing Agility Lvl 1 but there are plenty of non-rooftop entry points

#20 Posted by TheHT (11549 posts) -

That shoulda been the quick look.

#21 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4423 posts) -

Fuck..now I gotta play the game again after just finishing it to get that good.

#22 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Is this the video game I've been waiting to play ever since I got burnt out on Crysis?

Yes..Yes it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.